A good sign,,,;

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
No idea, but I’m not really worried about what sort of example a modern day Rooster Cogburn that used to tote 4 claymores to set up so they could circle the wagons, sets.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Heck I gave you detailed instructions year before last. ;) I don't think I saw or actually hunted GL much last year.

those birds (year before last) were like the ones i found on another piece of public,,,,,

never to be found when I had my mutts looking for them

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
those birds (year before last) were like the ones i found on another piece of public,,,,,

never to be found when I had my mutts looking for them
That doesn't surprise me. We hunt the field trial area all week when it first opens and I can't tell you the times I have jumped birds over there and go back to the same place and turn dogs out 2-3 days in a row and hunt the same block and never see them again.

Bird hunting expert I am not, but I can only guess that they have to travel quite a bit foraging for food. I do know I have never found places where they have roosted routinely like I used to find them here when there were still birds. That makes me think they travel a lot.

Aaron H

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I do so miss the Bobwhite Quail. It was just a common thing when I was a kid and then they were gone. I saw one in Chatham County about 10 years ago... a single sad and lonely bird calling. That was the first one I had seen in more than 20 years.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
I do so miss the Bobwhite Quail. It was just a common thing when I was a kid and then they were gone. I saw one in Chatham County about 10 years ago... a single sad and lonely bird calling. That was the first one I had seen in more than 20 years.

Same. Some of my fondest childhood memories are sitting on the porch with my brothers in the evening and whistling their call back to them.

your description is apt “…and then they were gone.”