A good hunting partner

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
…keeps his eye out for birds, even when you stop for a photo op.

A5E0F444-3151-4C74-A11B-8A1205A5A635.jpeg

I decided to sit this morning for a few minutes during prime time. There’s not a lot of birds left around here. I am going to hunt a VA farm this evening that I haven’t hunted in 8 years. We’ll see if they’ve got many left.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We had a decent little shoot in VA. It would have been way better if the corn was cut. The sunflowers had played out, but the farmer had aerial seeded his wheat cover crop into the standing corn. It turned out that the birds really wanted to light on a powerline going right across this 20 acres of corn. So…I hunted them where they were. We went and stood under the power poles in 7’ tall corn and shot them coming in. That was the first time I’ve ever hunted doves in the middle of a standing corn field but the birds were there.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
We had a decent little shoot in VA. It would have been way better if the corn was cut. The sunflowers had played out, but the farmer had aerial seeded his wheat cover crop into the standing corn. It turned out that the birds really wanted to light on a powerline going right across this 20 acres of corn. So…I hunted them where they were. We went and stood under the power poles in 7’ tall corn and shot them coming in. That was the first time I’ve ever hunted doves in the middle of a standing corn field but the birds were there.

I’ve done this many times over standing corn and standing soybeans. It is just really hard to find them after you shoot them especially if they are flying good unless you have a good dog. Even then you spend more time looking for them than shooting.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I’ve done this many times over standing corn and standing soybeans. It is just really hard to find them after you shoot them especially if they are flying good unless you have a good dog. Even then you spend more time looking for them than shooting.

I do believe that scenario is why my girlfriend (and now wife) fell for my big arse,,, back in September 1982 when we were first dating she went with me on a dove shoot,,, it was over standing soybeans,,, powerline and flyway type hunt,,, many a dove fell into them dang thigh high soybeans,,,I don't think she had ever saw a fellow who would spend that much time looking for a dove (her brothers sure wouldn't),,, found them all that day

got me a wife from that style hunt,,,:mosh::cool::party:
and she fully understood the need for a good dog after that (y)

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
I do believe that scenario is why my girlfriend (and now wife) fell for my big arse,,, back in September 1982 when we were first dating she went with me on a dove shoot,,, it was over standing soybeans,,, powerline and flyway type hunt,,, many a dove fell into them dang thigh high soybeans,,,I don't think she had ever saw a fellow who would spend that much time looking for a dove (her brothers sure wouldn't),,, found them all that day

got me a wife from that style hunt,,,:mosh::cool::party:
and she fully understood the need for a good dog after that (y)

I wish the story of how I met my wife was that good 😅