A good coyote...

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
My last-day turkey hunt in Virginia on Saturday found me in some thick, wet woods at daybreak. I was doing a series of soft tree yelps when I heard a squirrel crank up. I knew something was coming. I caught movement and saw Wile E. himself easing in carefully trying to sneak up on the hen he had just heard. When he entered a narrow lane at 20 yards I let him have it. I considered it a great last hunt for 2018.
VA last day, 5-19-18.jpg

Bean

Eight Pointer
I had a doe hanging around one of the food plots I can see from my house for several days I figure she was going to have a fawn there. After the third day I heard a coyote back there barking and it actually howled a couple times while I was working in the hard and I couldn't have that. Got my creedmoor and my call and took off. About 3 screams of the cottontail and I had killed my first coyote in shorts and flip flops LOL.

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
Two more fawn killers down. Good job guys and keep up the good work. I killed a yote several years ago while turkey hunting with an H&R 12 gauge shooting 3 1/2 no. 4 shells at about 30 yards. It kinda surprised me when he dropped like a stone. I traded that shoulder mangling thing for an old Savage 410 shooting tss. I wonder if that would have the same impact on a yote? Just curious, what shells were you two using?

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
Two more fawn killers down. Good job guys and keep up the good work. I killed a yote several years ago while turkey hunting with an H&R 12 gauge shooting 3 1/2 no. 4 shells at about 30 yards. It kinda surprised me when he dropped like a stone. I traded that shoulder mangling thing for an old Savage 410 shooting tss. I wonder if that would have the same impact on a yote? Just curious, what shells were you two using?

I was shooting a little 21" barrel Rem 1100 20 gauge using 3-inch Federal Heavyweight #7s. They have proven 100% deadly on turkeys for me for several years, and I've killed 2 coyotes with them as well.

I believe your .410 with any size TSS would kill a coyote at 40 yards, no problem....assuming a typical, tight "turkey" pattern.

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
I was shooting a little 21" barrel Rem 1100 20 gauge using 3-inch Federal Heavyweight #7s. They have proven 100% deadly on turkeys for me for several years, and I've killed 2 coyotes with them as well.

I believe your .410 with any size TSS would kill a coyote at 40 yards, no problem....assuming a typical, tight "turkey" pattern.
I'd love to get the opportunity to prove you right on another mangy coyote. Maybe next season.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Killed one last season on an afternoon hunt, I heard a turkey behind me putt and fly up. Was way too early to be roosting, about 2 minutes later I heard something on the ridge behind me and see the yote about 1/2 way up. When he got behind a big tree I spun around on my knees, he heard me and froze for a long time....finally he eased on out from behind the tree and I rolled him at about 45 yards all the way down the hill, he landed in the creek still somewhat alive and pissed. When I stuck my head over the creek bank he snarled and showed his teeth for the last time.