A Double to Start the Year

cuppednlocked

Ten Pointer
This was my first time using a Bridger #5 in a drowning set. I caught a ~25#'er in it and caught a 50#’er in a 330 at a crossover.

I really like the foot-hold set and will be buying more of those traps.

I get the feeling traps are like duck decoys in how fast they multiply. :)

655AE13A-9BE5-40DC-A9E4-3A809D66FDBE.jpeg4C28FFE9-8A03-490B-828F-556CEC599915.jpeg

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Pretty work. Having the correct tool for the job makes a huge difference. Never used that particular foot hold but have caught far more beaver in foot holds than in body grips. MB 750s were my go to but I have since switched to the NO BS Beaver X-Treme. Snares also have a place on a beaver line.

Your inventory of tools for the job will very likely grow quite a bit.

cuppednlocked

Ten Pointer
The culverts have remained open and the traps were empty today. I pulled everything and will keep an eye to see if any new activity starts. No misses, the traps were still set or had caught when I checked.

The grand total is 4 beavers and 1 muskrat. 50#, 28#, 24#, and ~25# beavers.

I have an idea where I’m going to set next but it will be after deer season ends.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The culverts have remained open and the traps were empty today. I pulled everything and will keep an eye to see if any new activity starts. No misses, the traps were still set or had caught when I checked.

The grand total is 4 beavers and 1 muskrat. 50#, 28#, 24#, and ~25# beavers.

I have an idea where I’m going to set next but it will be after deer season ends.
I would guess that there is another big beaver left that is laying low. Was the 50 pounder male or female? It is possible that something happened to one of the mated pair but I usually expect a pair of similar size plus one or 2 years of offspring at this time of year. The weight of the small ones are most likely this years offspring. Last years should be over 30 lbs by now.

Mamma is usually the hardest one to catch.

cuppednlocked

Ten Pointer
The 50#'er was a male.

This beaver pond is huge and has several man-made canals that connect it. There are plenty of places they could lay low. I only set two 330's at a crossover and the leg-hold at the culvert so I didn't cover much territory, but the pressure was concentrated.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Hope ya are saving the castors and oil sacs to trade for gear off our website below.
Utube has many tutorials if it’ll help you with removal.

Last edited:

cuppednlocked

Ten Pointer
QBD,

Other than increasing the area that I’m setting traps is there anything else I can do to catch the big female? I have not used any lure so far.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Did you save any casters or oil sacks from what you have trapped to use in the area to fool the remaining family members?

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
QBD,

Other than increasing the area that I’m setting traps is there anything else I can do to catch the big female? I have not used any lure so far.
Sometimes they seem to get square shy, especially if they have seen another get caught in a coni. Does not usually happen on deep water conis and less likely to refuse if a shallow coni is well camoed or blended in so the shape is not as obvious.

I like blind sets with footholds on drowner with just a partially skinned poplar stick about the size of your little finger where it it visible above a slide from the water. Scraping an inch or two of bark off not only makes it more visible but also releases scent to attract the beaver with a natural smell. But if you can find an active slide, the stick may not be necessary.

I like a sloped bank with an angle where I can cut a notch and bed the trap where the beaver would drop it's back foot to push up when it's front feet reach the bank. A back foot in a big foothold works great and they never knew what hit em.

I have used sack oil from another beaver caught in the same general area (assume family member) to entice the last beaver over or into a trap if they seem to be avoiding my sets. Does not take much, just one drop on the slide usually works. I go this route after catching several but the catches stop but I know there is at least one still there.

Snares set in a pinch point are also an effective tool and less likely to have refusals than the square conis.

The more your match wits with them, the more tricks you pick up.

I always say that beaver are not generally that hard to catch until they are and then they can really be a pain to fool!