A deer hunting story from maine

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I've hunted like this when I was younger but was never rewarded with a buck at the end.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
cool story,,,,

I like hunting that way,,,

My last Wisconsin deer before joining the Army (79) was killed that way,,,tracking in fresh snow,,,it was an 8 point but not the stud that one in the article

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I grew up reading Field and Stream about the fellas in Maine tracking in the snow, The Benoit family of much fame and their red wool jackets and wool overalls didn't have much in common with Florida boys but it was sure entertaining to read about them.
Their way of hunting and the manner in which this buck was taken seems dern close, and a LOT of work.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Tracking / running them down like that was the only way we hunted deer in northern Maine when I was growing up (way too cold to sit in a tree stand)!

I remember tracking one nice buck all morning in the Rangeley area of Maine on land the Navy owns back in the 1980s. Never caught up to him, but pushed him across an access road right in front of a game warden who said it was one of the biggest bucks he'd ever seen; he even tried to get a shot at it himself, but couldn't get his gun out of the truck in time.

It's a young man's game, though. You need a lot of stamina to follow that deer through snow, and it always seemed that they'd take you into the most inaccessible swamp before before you'd get a shot. Then the long drag out........