A classic, the Jitterbug

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
One of my all time favorites for mid to late summer bite. Anything with a light colored bottom or I'll sometimes add a light green glitter to a dark bottom.

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
White or yellow belly with a splash of red or orange at the throat.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
First big bass I ever caught was on a Jitterbug....green back white bottom best I remember. Was like 12 and on a boat by myself. Saw this big swell coming up behind that plug and ...WAM!...she nailed it. Weighed 5 lbs and had never seen a big bass before...you think I didn't take that baby home to show Grandpa. The pond I caught it in is just across the road...family pond and have caught many out of it since....been like 60 years ago.

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
I got one on a baitcaster right now waiting to go to the pond one evening,clear with black dots

spinnerbaitor48

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
black on full moon, red head and white with no moon.....frog during the day.....I must have 20 of em......I thought nobody was using them any more, which is why I still use em all the time...I even have a glow in the dark one that you just charge up under a light....several wooden models..still love to throw the devil horses too.....largest bass I ever caught was on a black one on full moon in marion, sc fishing out of a canoe with my uncle in 1974.....still on the wall in my garage...great memories of the jitterbug

B-KayCh

Six Pointer
Haven’t fished one in years but caught many solid bass on them. My dad years ago ordered one from Bass Pro that was solid black and Muskie size. One treble hook in tail and a treble off each side. He would fish it nights when we would go out to Lake Jeanette in Greensboro. When he got bit you knew it wasn’t a small bass. It’s still around, hanging in our cabin down east.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
I still have a few that I bought as a kids in the early 70's. My favorite is the frog with the white belly and a black one for overcast days and at night. And I still have a bunch of Devils Horses' too. Classics that have and always will catch fish.

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
I still have a few that I bought as a kids in the early 70's. My favorite is the frog with the white belly and a black one for overcast days and at night. And I still have a bunch of Devils Horses' too. Classics that have and always will catch fish.

Jitter Bug and Devil Horses. The two lures my dad had me believing that at any moment i could hook a new world record with every cast. When they got hard to find in the late 90s my dad would stop at every tackle shop he went by during work trips and stock up. My first real memories of fishing when i really got interested as a kid was listening to him tell stories about the fish my grandpa would catch with them. You can add the hula popper in there as well.

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Frog pattern, jointed. I still have my first one that my Dad gave me. It has to be 40+ years old. In fact I should be fishing it right now! Almost dark, and it just rained a little; my favorite time to fish it around the edges.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
Back when I was 8 or 10 my Grandfather would have me run the motor at night while frog gigging and between frogs he would drag a Jitterbug on a cane pole with about 3 feet of line right along the bank. When he would get a hit it sounded like a grenade went off and he would fight the fish and swing it in the boat for me to take off. Those are some memories!!

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
We were fishing Shearon Harris Lake one night with jitterbugs. I had a hit and man it tore off. Told my buddy to get the net I had a whooper. Ended up with about a 8 pound catfish, he had inhaled that bait. Invited him home as the guest of honor for catfish nuggets.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I bought a bunch of vintage and new lures from a guy I know and it had a couple jitterbugs. I caught some nice fish at my aunts house using them. My favorite topwater is a whopper plopper and a double whopper plopper.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
^my newest favorite topwater is a zoom ultra vibe speed craw or a zman turbo crawz on a light jig head buzzed on top.
nice subtle "buzzbait" that doubles as a traditional Ned rig that you can fish many different ways.

do not throw these in your pond. the poor fish cant help themselves. :)

Likewise in shallow water willows on your lakes.