A boat finally?

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Research Suzuki troll mode before you become one....;)

Also...I buy what i WANT 90% of the time versus what I may need. Big difference there...
I'm messing with you. My Dad's boat has a yamaha where you can dial the RPM's in super low. FWIW, depending on your desired speed, its still too fast at its lowest setting.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Troll mode is a different animal. You can increase or decrease by 50 rpms. We generally troll at 2.5mph.
Yep and one thing I do if I know 100% I plan to troll most the day I put a 4 blade aluminum power prop.
Something we did all the time for walleye. For a 4 stroke like my current motor it cuts down on the chatter going to a smaller lighter prop. With SS mine has a lot of chatter.

UncleFester

Old Mossy Horns
Yep and one thing I do if I know 100% I plan to troll most the day I put a 4 blade aluminum power prop.
Something we did all the time for walleye. For a 4 stroke like my current motor it cuts down on the chatter going to a smaller lighter prop. With SS mine has a lot of chatter.
I'll be using the Ulterra trolling as well. Covering it on both ends trying to avoid having a kicker motor. If it doesn't work I'll back up and punt.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If speed was my goal I'd have went with Yamaha, they are faster on top end.
I disagree with that. The 115 Suzuki on the Sundance Heavy ass Skiff would go faster than the 115 SHO on the Xpress aluminum bass boat that I have now. I know it's all in the prop, but don't just say that. Anyway, I can't catch bream running 38 mph anyway.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I disagree with that. The 115 Suzuki on the Sundance Heavy ass Skiff would go faster than the 115 SHO on the Xpress aluminum bass boat that I have now. I know it's all in the prop, but don't just say that. Anyway, I can't catch bream running 38 mph anyway.
Nope but you can get to more places they’re likely to be in a shorter amount of time. He who runs the most wins the most….. or whatever the bass guys said. That said, there’s a lot of truth in that. Very few of the folks that say you’re running over fish to find fish put up the numbers to prove it lol

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Hard to compare glass boats and aluminum.
Big difference.

I will say this, my 20' Seaark 115 merc will run mid 40mph
It keeps up with the same boat running a 150 merc
150 has better hole shot and low end but up on the speed they are about the same.
After running both I went with a 115. 40 to 45 is fast enough for me in a bigazz john boat.

UncleFester

Old Mossy Horns
On the 300's the Suzuki kills the Yamaha off the line, but top end the Yamaha takes it.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Nope but you can get to more places they’re likely to be in a shorter amount of time. He who runs the most wins the most….. or whatever the bass guys said. That said, there’s a lot of truth in that. Very few of the folks that say you’re running over fish to find fish put up the numbers to prove it lol
I know what they're saying and I agree, but for me, right now, it's not a big deal.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Big difference.

150 has better hole shot and low end but up on the speed they are about the same.
After running both I went with a 115. 40 to 45 is fast enough for me in a bigazz john boat.
I know it's apples and oranges. But the skiff was 22'. The Xpress is 20' Xpress weighs lots less. You would think it would run faster. Like I said, I'm sure it's in the prop. Xpress holes shot is fast. You're on plane in just a couple of seconds.

nchunter

Twelve Pointer
Big difference.

I don’t know much about boats, but I did talk myself into buying one once.
Buddy had the same boat with a 115, mine had a 200. Hurricane deck boats. Mine was faster, but not by much. Biggest difference I noticed was mine didn’t slow down much when loaded while his did tremendously. If it was a car I’d say it felt like mine had much more torque.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If comparing same boats, same loads, and different sized motors, the bigger motor should be faster. It may be a case where the motor could spin more prop than is currently on it.

Curves can be different. One motor can certainly perform better in an rpm band.

UncleFester

Old Mossy Horns
Did take it to Lake James Tuesday and Wednesday after work for break in cruising. Got it up to 54 Wednesday, but still haven't went WOT. The boss even let's me drive it sometimes. Here she is explaining things to me while I've got a mouth full of those Poppables...

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
Did take it to Lake James Tuesday and Wednesday after work for break in cruising. Got it up to 54 Wednesday, but still haven't went WOT. The boss even let's me drive it sometimes. Here she is explaining things to me while I've got a mouth full of those Poppables...

That is awesome!! 🤣

UncleFester

Old Mossy Horns
So after pulling the heavy boat around a bit it became apparent a 1500 just wasn't going to cut it and I knew I was going to pull the guts out of the one I bought just for the boat. I was hopeful I wouldn't have to get back into the bigger trucks, but it was unavoidable. I'm a GM person, actually considered a Ford this time, but couldn't find anything at my price point with low mileage. I test drove several 2500's and so wanted a 6.0 or 6.2 to work for me. I desperately wanted to avoid a diesel again, but after driving one versus the other 6.0's/6.2's there was no comparison. I considered a new one briefly, but the new ones both Chevy and GMC are beyond FUGLY to me. Long story short.... I now have three Silverado's and a wife that's looking at me sideways....

Good thing is the Duramax pulls the boat like it isn't even back there. Difference is like night and day to say the least.

20220801_143057.jpgSmartSelect_20220802-170955_Gallery.jpg