A bit of an unexpected catch on the Yadkin

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
There are certain times, especially when it is cold as heck that you will catch the larger ones. I know two guys that target them during that time that catches some pretty nice ones. That being said, that is one of if not the larges ones I have ever seen out of the Yadkin chain.

Donovan

Spike
I'm really thankful for it. It was a slow day, not much of a bite, then along he came. I'm thinking of getting a replica mount of it as I doubt I'll catch another one like it, least while I'm living in NC. That and he had an interesting scar on his back, perfect triangle. My best guess, he tangled with a snapper and came out the other side whole...ish.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'm really thankful for it. It was a slow day, not much of a bite, then along he came. I'm thinking of getting a replica mount of it as I doubt I'll catch another one like it, least while I'm living in NC. That and he had an interesting scar on his back, perfect triangle. My best guess, he tangled with a snapper and came out the other side whole...ish.
Or he was flathead bait, and the guy slinging him backlashed the reel and tore him out when he was smaller.

Donovan

Spike
That....is something I did not consider. I'd ask if it was you, but let's be honest, you never backlash.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That....is something I did not consider. I'd ask if it was you, but let's be honest, you never backlash.
No, but I have had my share of professional overruns. Especially back in my Penn days. I don't have them very often now but I would be lying if I didn't say I occasionally forget to stick my thumb on that spool or get excited and not do it. Same result either way.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Back 20 years ago me and my dad would fish the pamlico river at Washington for rock alot. We usually fished around the powerlines and that general area. Only once out of all those years did we hit the perch running good. Some up over 18 and one or two pushing 20 inches. Caught them on rattle traps. Some of the best eating fish you can catch imo.

JohnBoat

Banned
No, but I have had my share of professional overruns. Especially back in my Penn days. I don't have them very often now but I would be lying if I didn't say I occasionally forget to stick my thumb on that spool or get excited and not do it. Same result either way.

What's your reel of choice now. I like the Abu 7000's. Mainly because I fish large mono and need the capacity.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Used to look hard for them ,,,better eating than walleye in my opinion

That’s some mighty big shoes to fill!!! But I’ll give it to’em, they will give walleye a good run for their money. Only reason I can’t say they’re better, is I’ve ate just enough of'em to love’em, but not enough to feel comfortable giving them the top spot. Haha

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
What's your reel of choice now. I like the Abu 7000's. Mainly because I fish large mono and need the capacity.
I river fish with 7000s because it is crank or die soon as you hook them. I fish right up against the trashiest nastiest stuff I can find and I have to thumb the spool and don't give an inch soon as I stick them. I fish lakes with 6500s. I use 130# braid in the river and 80# braid in the lake. It is smaller so capacity isn't an issue. Only thing with that braid if they do slip that spool on your thumb you will have a blistered thumb in a skinny minute.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That’s some mighty big shoes to fill!!! But I’ll give it to’em, they will give walleye a good run for their money. Only reason I can’t say they’re better, is I’ve ate just enough of'em to love’em, but not enough to feel comfortable giving them the top spot. Haha
I was thinking the same thing, never eat them but twice. I was up in Ohio hunting with a buddy and he used to kill them up there. And they were good.

JohnBoat

Banned
I river fish with 7000s because it is crank or die soon as you hook them. I fish right up against the trashiest nastiest stuff I can find and I have to thumb the spool and don't give an inch soon as I stick them. I fish lakes with 6500s. I use 130# braid in the river and 80# braid in the lake. It is smaller so capacity isn't an issue. Only thing with that braid if they do slip that spool on your thumb you will have a blistered thumb in a skinny minute.

I only fish rivers. I use 60lb mono and same thing. Thumb down and cranking.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
if you gonna backlash (and you will unless you have that new shimano super reel) braid is your friend.
when you get the backlash out you don't destroy the line by pulling or cutting it against itself.
if you want to eliminate the source of the backlashes a strip of masking tape laid into the spool past the longest cats you'll make will prevent the worst of these.
I pity anyone who has had more or worse backlashes than me. :)

yellow perch (raccoon is what we called them) from Currituck sound prepared by the restaurant in the motel where we stayed was some mighty fine fish.
But mama's crappie and walleye are better. :)
That's a nice one Donovan.
Congratulations.