9MM Ammo Is GONE

CarolinaReaper

Does anyone have a lead on where I can buy some 9mm ammo? Just target ammo, fmj, etc. I couldn't find any at my local go to store and i'v exhausted ALL of the usual online avenues of getting some. This is probably the scarcest I'v seen ammo in a LONG time. I am mainly looking for my brother. I'v got about 500 rounds on hand, but we're really looking for some for him. And y'all know as well as I do, 500 rounds ain't really nothing. He's 22 and just purchased his first ever handgun. Should be here in a couple of weeks. It's honestly a celebratory moment. But I'll be damned if I can find any online or in local stores.

spinnerbaitor48

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
yep, never wait while its cheap...….last 1000rds of 9 mm I got was 165 shipped to my door...….now, it you can find the same ammo, its 400 shipped to your door if youre lucky...… I always ask my buds if they wanna go in on a bunch when I order it, and its always one reason or the other not to but......now, everybody wants to know it I[ll see them some......nope......

Inshore duck

Eight Pointer
Local shop said their major distributor that supplies most of the shops in eastern NC had 36 boxes left in the US. Boxes not cases. Said in 35+ years he has never seen this.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
Gun shows ?
I know a friend went to Hickory gun show this past weekend and picked up 9mm. He said they had plenty. Had 1k boxes of IMI match .556 too. Again, all you wanted,he said.
Show will be in Concord,NC July 25-26, I think.

CarolinaReaper

If you don't mind paying extra, Rogers

Thanks for the heads up. They still have Blazer Brass and American Eagle 9mm ammo on hand for $15 a box. Which is honestly only marginally higher than normal IMO. Best prices I could find!

ncscrubmaster

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Just remember this is what happened to 22s just a short time back. Plenty of people have bricks of 22s sitting in there safe with the 80.00 price sticker. Remember the craziness at Walmart waiting on the truck because Jim Bobs brother in laws cousin said that it had a box on it. Just give it a little time and you can buy what you want.

greenoakl

Six Pointer
I found some on gunbroker the other day about 200 for 1000 to my door it just a pain to look through the listings to find a pretty good price

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
If you are going to be a shooter than it's best to learn to reload. The problem I see when it comes to all of this panic buying is that most of the folks out there are ammo collectors. I find it amazing that in my neck of the woods most have a house full of guns and ammo. But when you ask them how much they shoot a month they look at you like you are crazy! I figure the average gun owner shoots less than a hundred centerfire cartridges a year, if that.

Redeye

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
We get 3 trucks a week at Academy. Most of the handgun, 223 and 5.56 sell out the same day they come in.

CarolinaReaper

If you are going to be a shooter than it's best to learn to reload. The problem I see when it comes to all of this panic buying is that most of the folks out there are ammo collectors. I find it amazing that in my neck of the woods most have a house full of guns and ammo. But when you ask them how much they shoot a month they look at you like you are crazy! I figure the average gun owner shoots less than a hundred centerfire cartridges a year, if that.

That's the route I guess I'm gonna have to go. I agree with you 100% on how most gun owners shoot very little. I just don't get that personally. For what a decent quality handgun costs, I wanna shoot the darn thing. Plus practice makes perfect and it is a skill that diminishes over time without practice, at least IMO. I generally try to shoot at least once a week, not much but a little. But at least 3 or 4 times a month, myself and 2 or 3 of my close friends who are also semi-avid shooters will all get together and have fun wasting some bullets. You go through a 50 ct box of bullets in no time flat!

CarolinaReaper

We get 3 trucks a week at Academy. Most of the handgun, 223 and 5.56 sell out the same day they come in.

Hey Redeye, I assume you're talking about the one of Burke Mill rd near the mall. I can believe it. That place is ALWAYS hoppin'. Bought my first ever pistol from that store about 4 years ago. Really good experience.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It’s not about how much you shoot, a lot of it is the results of the shooting.

I may shoot 200 rounds of center fire pistols a year. Maybe 100 of a centerfire rifle.

5-6000 12 gauge shells a year.

Maybe 1-2000 .22lr a year.

Never seen the typical pistol be able to touch a 12 gauge at most ranges.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Just about everything ammo-wise is in short supply now, including reloading stuff. Took me weeks to find some Unique powder at Midway Arms, and they're out of it again already. And I haven't been able to get magnum pistol primers, either.

I guess if all else fails, we can fall back on the Army 1860 BP revolver and cap, powder & ball.......