'93 Toyota cranking problem

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I drove my '93 Toyota 4x4 to church and back, then out to a restaurant for lunch yesterday. Absolutely no indication on any problems. This morning, I got in it to head to work, and it was dead as a door knob. My first thought was that I'd left the lights on (again), but nope, everything was off.
Hooked it up to the charger, and the battery reads 95%.
Tapped the battery cables around a bit with a hammer, thinking it might free up corrosion, if that were the problem. Nope.
Used jumper cables to another battery. Nope.
I'll try cleaning the posts and connectors after work, but it that won't work, whats next? Solenoid?

darenative

Twelve Pointer
We had a couple of early 90's 6 cyl trucks and 4runners. Starters would just die with no warning on em.
Not to hard to change on the 6cyl..just need about 3' worth of extensions on the rachet to reach the bolts

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I just double checked something, and none of the dash instruments are registering, no lights working, so I'm thinking and hoping the problem is corrosion on the terminals.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yep, check all connections from battery to ground as well as to starter. I have seen a couple of instances where the wire was corroded inside the sheath causing what you describe. Can test with your jumper cable: clip to battery terminal and other end to corresponding location, therefore bypassing factory wire/cable.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It was corrosion on the clamp. Cleaned it up and it now starts like a champ. Thanks guys!

I've had good luck with installing corrosion preventative washers on the battery terminals. They can be found at all part stores as well as Wally world. Red and green in color made from a felt material with added corrosion resistance chemical. Clean terminals well and treat with baking soda and water. Install felt washers and remain corrosion free for a long time. Even coating the connection with a grease will help if not using the felt.

duckhunterwst

Eight Pointer
I learned the hard way! Now every time I changed the oil I check both terminals and clean with battery terminal cleaner and then apply battery terminal protector when needed for what it's worth!

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I've had good luck with installing corrosion preventative washers on the battery terminals. They can be found at all part stores as well as Wally world. Red and green in color made from a felt material with added corrosion resistance chemical. Clean terminals well and treat with baking soda and water. Install felt washers and remain corrosion free for a long time. Even coating the connection with a grease will help if not using the felt.
I use these as well after having same issue

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
While we're on the subject, another battery cable tip that many don't know; On the old style terminal clamps, there should be a gap where the tightening bolt goes through. You don't have to tighten it till the clamp touches itself. I've seen many do that on their own batteries, and it stretches the clamp. If your clamps are squeezed together life this, it's time to get new ones.