9/18

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
@TobyScreams ... that buck is even better than I thought it was !
The pic you loaded in the kills thread shows more of him. He's a great buck ! That big 'ol long face is awesome.
I hope you get him mounted.

Deep River

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Thanks to all of you that offered support and advice. It has been a whirlwind of a day. I did find him this morning about 100-120 yards from where I shot him. Spent the morning processing him, then drove home to Moore County, took a shower, went to work, and caught up on 2.5 days of work.

5312EA84-E75E-4579-A006-C51F93292934.jpeg

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks to all of you that offered support and advice. It has been a whirlwind of a day. I did find him this morning about 100-120 yards from where I shot him. Spent the morning processing him, then drove home to Moore County, took a shower, went to work, and caught up on 2.5 days of work.

View attachment 99692
Congrats on a fine buck!

Deep River

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Heck of a buck! congratulations. Lets hear the story!
Had good pics in that plot over the last week. Lots of bucks. I could identify many of them, but couldn’t confirm this buck. Still, I knew from his patterns/preference last year that as he broke out of his summer pattern there was a good chance he would be on this side of the farm.

didn’t see a thing until about 6:45. Then a couple of yearling bucks came in. Later, a group of five with the dominant buck in the area (a big bodied, short tined 9 pt) came in. The two yearlings then left. Those guys paraded back and forth in front of me for the next 35-40 minutes.

Around 7:30, two more 8 pts showed up and they just kept milling around.

Around 7:40 my buck popped out directly across from me (60 yds). He made a bee line for two of the eight points and started sparring with them. He was having his way with them (at around 50 yds) when the eleventh buck showed up, another 8 pt.

About that same time, the dominant 9 pt cruised over to my guy and said “you want a piece of me?”. He said ”nope” and started moving diagonally toward me. 45 yds, not yet. 40 yds, nah. Let him get a little closer. 35 yds, yep. That’ll do. My lighted nock told the story. I was a little disappointed that the arrow struck a little farther back than I was aiming for. My shot was at 7:42. At 8:00 I climbed down and went back to the house. I felt good enough about the shot that I had killed him. The only question was how long it would take and how far he would go.

At 10:00, I went back out and found my arrow. It smelled clean and had good, bright red blood on it. I spent then next 30 minutes or so looking for more blood and checking the near woods for him. Nothing. No blood, no deer. I packed it in and headed back to the house. I was coming back after sunrise.

I was out the door again at 7:00. I started my search again in the field. Again, I found no blood anywhere but right where I hit him. Then, I headed into the woods exactly where I knew he disappeared. About 40-50 yds inside the wood line and paralleling the edge of the field there is a creek. I searches about 60-80 yds in either direction between the wood line and the creek. Still, nothing. No deer. No blood. By now I was beginning to have that sinking feeling. I was going to press on, though. It was time to cross the creek.

The creek has fairly steep banks. I looked for the place that deer have figured out is best to cross, and I climbed down into the water. Before continuing to the other bank, I looked upstream to my left. There he was, dead in the water and tucked up against the near bank.

I don’t care if I had stayed out searching for him the night before. I don’t think I would have found him.

Last edited:

dubbeltap69

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Had good pics in that plot over the last week. Lots of bucks. I could identify many of them, but couldn’t confirm this buck. Still, I knew from his patterns/preference last year that as he broke out of his summer pattern there was a good chance he would be on this side of the farm.

didn’t see a thing until about 6:45. Then a couple of yearling bucks came in. Later, a group of five with the dominant buck in the area (a big bodied, short tined 9 pt) came in. The two yearlings then left. Those guys paraded back and forth in front of me for the next 35-40 minutes.

Around 7:30, two more 8 pts showed up and they just kept milling around.

Around 7:40 my buck popped out directly across from me (60 yds). He made a bee line for two of the eight points and started sparring with them. He was having his way with them (at around 50 yds) when the eleventh buck showed up, another 8 pt.

About that same time, the dominant 9 pt cruised over to my guy and said “you want a piece of me?”. He said ”nope” and started moving diagonally toward me. 45 yds, not yet. 40 yds, nah. Let him get a little closer. 35 yds, yep. That’ll do. My lighted nock told the story. I was a little disappointed that the arrow struck a little farther back than I was aiming for. My shot was at 7:42. At 8:00 I climbed down and went back to the house. I felt good enough about the shot that I had killed him. The only question was how long it would take and how far he would go.

At 10:00, I went back out and found my arrow. It smelled clean and had good, bright red blood on it. I spent then next 30 minutes or so looking for more blood and checking the near woods for him. Nothing. No blood, no deer. I packed it in and headed back to the house. I was coming back after sunrise.

I was out the door again at 7:00. I started my search again in the field. Again, I found no blooms anywhere but right where I hit him. Then, I headed into the woods exactly where I knew he disappeared. About 40-50 yds inside the wood line and paralleling the edge of the field there is a creek. I searches about 60-80 yds in either direction between the wood line and the creek. Still, nothing. No deer. No blood. By now I was beginning to have that sinking feeling. I was going to press on, though. It was time to cross the creek.

The creek has fairly steep banks. I looked for the place that deer have figured out is best to cross, and I climbed down into the water. Before continuing to the other bank, I looked upstream to my left. There he was, dead in the water and tucked up against the near bank.

I don’t care if I had stayed out searching for him the night before. I don’t think I would have found him.
Thank you for sharing this. Excellent recap. Gives me encouragement, despite my desire to find the deer, to use good judgement. I agree, very doubtful you would have found him last night.

Mind sharing your magical food plot mix to get so many bucks at once? Ha. I just saw your food plot post. Wowzers

Super awesome buck. Congrats!

Deep River

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Thank you for sharing this. Excellent recap. Gives me encouragement, despite my desire to find the deer, to use good judgement. I agree, very doubtful you would have found him last night.

Mind sharing your magical food plot mix to get so many bucks at once? Ha. I just saw your food plot post. Wowzers

Super awesome buck. Congrats!
Sorry, I think I just saw your question for the first time. Based on what you wrote, I gather than you saw what was planted in the square I had in front of me. What I didn't add in the foodplot post was that that square is flanked by ladino clover. So, about .5 acres of the brassica mix and about 1.5 acres of ladino clover.