870 Super Magnum + slug barrel

Thread starter #1
A few years back I bought a 870 Super Magnum thinking it would be the last shotgun I ever needed. But now I've realized the 28" barrel is a little long for the deer woods. I would love to have one of the fully rifled barrels with rifle sights but not sure if it'll work. Everything I've read says 2 3/4 and 3". Any thoughts? Tried reaching out to Remington but never got a response.

41magnum

Eight Pointer
I've found bigger is not often better, and that 2 3/4 and 3" slugs work so well on deer, I never considered 3 1/2".....you could always ask on the Remingtonownersforum or the Remington shotgun forum at Greybeards www.go2gbo.com

From the Remington website: "NOTE: Model 870 Extra Barrels with 3" chambers will fit Super Magnum, Magnum, and 2-3/4" receivers. These barrels will handle both 2-3/4" and 3" shells when used on Magnum receivers. Use only 2-3/4" shells when these barrels are used on 2-3/4" receivers."

kilerhamilton

Twelve Pointer
Get your barrel cut to 22” and put vent rib truglow sights on it. Or saddle and scope it. Get it threaded for chokes. It will shoot slugs into a soft ball at 50yds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

22LR

Twelve Pointer
I have a supermag 870 and bought a smooth bore Imp. Cylinder slug barrel with rifle sights. It was around $145.00 from opticsplanet.com I replaced the factory sights with Williams Fire Sights. It is a 2 3/4" & 3" only chamber barrel and works great. With Federal Tru Ball slugs it is very accurate. The Tru Ball deep penetrator slugs are awesome. They are copper plated.