86 chevy squarebody restore

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
I took on the challenge of installing the ring and pinion and new carrier myself today. I got lucky with the factory shims and everything worked out to what I think was good. We will find out soon enough. Old rearend wasn't going much farther. All kinds of metal shavings in that housing when I pulled the cover off.

20220704_164404.jpg20220704_164504.jpg

Attachments

• 20220704_164450.jpg
    20220704_164450.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 12

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Not bad. Would you be willing to take it back apart and remove a bit of shim from the pinion to get your pattern closer to center? Depth looks spot on.

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
Body shop recruited some extra help. I have a guy working full time on my truck now. Ended up buying a whole bedside for the passenger side. It was cheaper to replace than to repair plus I really didn't like the quality of the patch panel I had purchased....it was junk but the bedside from AMD is a quality piece. He said another week and it will be ready to paint. Still waiting on the powder coater to get my frame ready. He said 3 weeks but he is going on 8 weeks.
20220713_143909.jpg

Attachments

• 20220713_143950.jpg
    20220713_143950.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 27

buckman84

Eight Pointer
Had a 77 k5, and 79 short bed 4x4. Hate I got rid of them but had some good times in those old trucks. Both were only getting bout 8 miles to the gallon!

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
Had a 77 k5, and 79 short bed 4x4. Hate I got rid of them but had some good times in those old trucks. Both were only getting bout 8 miles to the gallon!

Heck putting gas in it might be the cheapest thing I have done to it yet...LOL. I remember my dad having a 80 model growing up but the truck didnt have any power. He hated the truck. Problem was it came from the factory with 2.73 gears in 4WD truck. Back then 12K mile warranty was about all you got from the factory. He burnt the transmission up at 13 K miles riding in the mountains...pulling nothing. Thus why I changed my gears already. I'm going up to a 33" tire with a 3" lift.

I put new shoes and drums on the back axle. Waiting on a special socket I had to order to change the front ball joints. Couldn't find one local. I got new rotors/calipers for the front. Changed out hub bearings. Got new manual locking hubs for the front. Talk to my powder coater today. He said next week. Hope to have a rolling frame by end of the month.

44spec

Four Pointer
I think you will really enjoy driving this old Chevy and it’s looking good. I did a frame off myself a few years ago and I just drive it hunting and fishing. These trucks are really simple to work on and parts are still available too. Hope you enjoy it as I do mine just have some help to load a buck in it! 7636DDC4-2E74-4DF7-9733-DC2E1BDF7121.jpeg

Last edited:

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
I think you will really enjoy driving this old Chevy and it’s looking good. I did a frame off myself a few years ago and I just drive it hunting and fishing. These trucks are really simple to work on and parts are still available too. Hope you enjoy it as I do mine just have some help to load a buck in it! View attachment 95331
Awesome. How do you like those cab steps? I was looking at them for mine.

44spec

Four Pointer
They are good. I didn’t think I would like but with a 4 inch lift it just makes it easier and of course my wife says it’s a no brainer. They are right stout for what they are and you can secure them good to. I put new rockers on mine so metal is good.

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
Spent some time this weekend doing pre-assembly on some parts. Finished up the vent windows, Put the ends on the tie rod and drag link. Put the sending units in the gas tanks. Cleaned up the parts department so I can find what I will need coming up. Counting bolts and seeing where I missed a few....so put a order in to LMC for more bolts to match. I went ahead and ordered them cab steps. My old lug nuts are nasty, so I ordered a new set with the wifes pay pal account. I looked over at her and said you now have mail as her phone dinged...LOL. I'm excited. My brother in law bought a squarebody and he has been working on it. I went over Saturday and put the rubber in his vent windows(thats a pain but I'm getting better at them) and helped install his new headliner. Everything is easier the second time around, so helping him helps me. I hear him talk about his struggles and I have already been there with mine most of the time.20220717_231343.jpg20220717_230845.jpg20220717_194526.jpg20220717_231624.jpg

44spec

Four Pointer
I hear you on those vent windows they are a pain in the rear, yours look real good. Rebuilding the front end like you are will really make the truck drive right. I did my ball joints, tie rods,hubs and bearings, all up front even new knuckles. I aligned it with a tape measure and it drives straight and smooth. You got some work ahead of you but you’ll have a New old truck.

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
I hear you on those vent windows they are a pain in the rear, yours look real good. Rebuilding the front end like you are will really make the truck drive right. I did my ball joints, tie rods,hubs and bearings, all up front even new knuckles. I aligned it with a tape measure and it drives straight and smooth. You got some work ahead of you but you’ll have a New old truck.
Did you replace your interior? I ordered a new interior from USA1 back in Dec. They told me door panels was 16 week lead time. I'm 7 months in and still no door panels or head liner.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Did you replace your interior? I ordered a new interior from USA1 back in Dec. They told me door panels was 16 week lead time. I'm 7 months in and still no door panels or head liner.
LMC Truck has door panels. Any upholstery shop can recover your headliner.

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
LMC Truck has door panels. Any upholstery shop can recover your headliner.
I know but the quality isn't the same on door panels plus I went with a mahogany interior. LMC doesn't offer that color, so I'm left with painting new door panels to match. My old ones have too much wear on them to paint. USA1 has the best looking door panels but not sure I'm going to continue waiting much longer. I saved my old headliner for just in case.

On another note...I stopped by the engine builder today. Still waiting on a cam shaft. Suppose to be here first week of August...if not he said he will get it from another place.

44spec

Four Pointer
catcishrus I took the panels off and cleaned then painted with USA1 paint they sell. It matched up real good. Then I put new straps and chrome pieces on and kept the bags and velour. I got headliner material from a outlet and re covered the old board. Replaced carpet and seat cover. You'll need another hand on the seat cover.interior.jpg

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
Careful, you won't never put it back in once you watch TV from it. 😂

Thats one thing I don't do. Nothing worth watching in my opinion.

The bed is headed to the paint booth Tuesday next week. He down to 320 grit going to 500 then seal it and paint it. Its slick. Really happy with his work. I got the blaster coming back this weekend to finish the cab and front fenders so he can start working on them next week. Just spent 3 hours pulling the wiring harness out and removing all the glass.

Attachments

• 20220723_095140.jpg
    20220723_095140.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220723_095153.jpg
    20220723_095153.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
Got everything blasted over the weekend and dropped it off at the paint shop this morning. Bed went into the paint booth, but they sent the wrong color paint.

20220724_130207.jpg

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
I got the front diff. ready to go back in yesterday. New ring and pinion, tie rod, ball joints, steering stabilizer, rotors and calibers, new manual locking hubs with some new lug nuts. Stopped by the powder coaters place yesterday...not happy with his service. Started out three weeks then it was suppose to be ready last week..now end of next week. We going on 11-12 weeks here....I can't keep waiting.
20220726_160010.jpg

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
A few pictures from the body shop today. Not a lot going on but he is a one man crew. They have the right color of paint now and was planning to paint the tailgate and front of the box today. He said the heat was a concern so he is painting one piece at a time.
20220729_092254.jpg20220729_092307.jpg20220729_092322.jpg

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
What color(s) you going to? I assume what I see is black. Is it metallic base coat/clear coat?

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
You have spent this much $$$ might as well get the entire thing coated ppf when it's cured. That will allow you to use it lightly in the woods if you desire and not ruin the paint

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
You have spent this much $$$ might as well get the entire thing coated ppf when it's cured. That will allow you to use it lightly in the woods if you desire and not ruin the paint

I done that to my ZL1 Camaro. It's a nice protection but I haven't seen one yet that doesn't have air bubbles under it other than factory.

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
Finally got the frame back from the powder coaters today. I had the frame, front core support, both inner fenders, gas tank brackets, sway bar, tow hooks, and several other small brackets coated. Get some tires mounted up next week and start putting it back together.

20220805_123745.jpg20220805_123803.jpg