86 chevy squarebody restore

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
Made a little progress on the truck. Installed the new cargo light. Got the door glass in. Driver side gave me a fit, but I finally got it in. Passenger side went in perfect. I put the taillight wiring harness back on and got the taillights in. Put the grill in it. Fixing to hit a speed bump with it. I mentioned it before but my mechanic sucks! Corbett Performance out of concord. I paid him to order my vintage air system last Jan. Told me he ordered it in Feb....he flat out lied to me. He spent my money on other things. Now I'm forced to order it myself, but the issue is it takes time to get them. I'm looking at April to June delivery date. Not happy but nothing I can do but wait. Doors panels look great! The cowl hood is growing on me. I saw one of these trucks listed for sale @ $99,000.00 two weeks ago. It sold last week. Not sure what it sold for but that is pretty stout.

20221227_204453.jpg20221224_132055.jpg

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They had a 1ton 4 door sell on barrett jackson for $100,000. It was sharp.

Dont be surprised if you get some surprising offers. My Dad has one that looks good, but not nearly as much redone as yours. He has had enough offers on it to get a ryder added on the insurance. It surprises me everytime he gets a new offer.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Was the truck equipped with factory air?
If so, what is the possibility you could find a truck in the boneyard to grab needed pieces? Install new compressor, hoses, condenser etc? Heck, if you had the evaporator case and correct heater case, all other parts are relatively easy to obtain.

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
Was the truck equipped with factory air?
If so, what is the possibility you could find a truck in the boneyard to grab needed pieces? Install new compressor, hoses, condenser etc? Heck, if you had the evaporator case and correct heater case, all other parts are relatively easy to obtain.
I sent you a PM. The truck had factory air and I have all that stuff.

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
I called vintage air this evening. They said 3-4 weeks, so I ordered it from them.

On a side note, my brother-in-law had purchased a 2wd short bed square body truck this past summer. Truck had patina paint on it, was in need of an engine, and the truck was lowered. Somebody heated the front springs on it. Truck would bottom out on the front inner fenders going down the road. I rode in it once and thought to myself boy you paid too much for this truck. Well over the weekend he got the urge to sale it. Listed it for sale and his phone blew up with calls. First guy came and looks at it yesterday. He said I take it, but he wanted to know how much deposit it would take to hold it. BIL said $500 so the man leaves headed to the bank and never showed back up. Later calls and said wife said...... On to the second man in line. He drove 6 hours to look at it today and bought it without driving. Loaded it on a trailer today and headed home with it. Truck sold for $11,000.00. Only thing truck had was a good body on it and a set of mags wheels.

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
Not much progress. Waiting on the vintage air to come. Still try to find something I can do to it every day. Sometimes it not much but it's something. I put the alternator on and a water pump. Picked up a set of new belts and hoses for the radiator. Ordered a new temp sensor. I put some sound damping on the inside of the cab floor, including the firewall insulation. Put the carpet on the bottom of my door panels. Had to roll it out of the garage one morning last week and when the sun hit it, well I had to get a picture. Can't wait to finish it and start enjoying it.

20230105_092850.jpg20230108_181319.jpg

Tjm1534

Spike
Man this is awesome,I don’t wanna be a know it all but if you had took the money for the 383 and swapped a crate 6.2 ls for the same money this truck when finished would possibly bring six figures .Thats just what the market wants now.I am doing an 88 Suburban 4x4 with a 6.2 4l80 205 transfer case ,digital dash with a Holley Terminator wiring setup.Your truck is gonna be a stunner.

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
Please tell me who painted it,very nice, and th engine clown so I can avoid him altogether.
Steve Foulk out of Kannapolis NC painted the truck. Jeffrey Fenning done the body work on the truck. I'm very happy with both of them.

Now the engine guy. Tim Corbett out of Concord and he calls it Corbett Performance. A friend told me about Tim so I had him come out and look at the truck(5 minutes from me) and he gave me an estimate on restoring it. He told me parts would be my biggest issue(covid). New engine $6500, vintage air $3000, change the rearend gears and add limited slip $1600, $5000 to take the truck off the frame or $85/hour. There was other things too like powder coating and exhaust...total estimate was $27000 to restore the truck. This was in Dec of 2020. I asked him how much he needed down to get started and he said 10 grand. I added up the engine, vintage air, and rear ends..came to $11,100.00. I paid him 11 in cash(lets get them parts). Jan 12 th he had my transmission rebuilt by another guy and said it was ready, plus he could go ahead and order my carb $525. So, I went and paid him for both that day. I don't like oweing anybody. Tim was to start on my truck(take it off the frame) first of Feb. First of May, I took it off the frame myself. Tired of waiting on him. He was taking on other jobs between Feb and May. Then when it came to the rear ends...he would not respond to me, so I rebuilt them myself. This tells me he had no intentions of doing my truck, yet he had my 11 grand. Supposedly, he had ordered my vintage air in Feb along with all the engine parts. Well fast forward to Oct. Body shop needs a place to put the cab. I'm waiting on the engine and we don't have a carb for it. Finally, I get the engine and he set it in the frame for me. I see my next issue is going to be the vintage air. So, I called them to learn that my vintage was never ordered. I confront Tim about it and told him he needs to check with his supply. Two weeks after the engine has been put in the truck Tim sends me an invoice wanting $1700 more dollars. The engine is now $9000 (he never said anything prior that we over budget/nobody likes surprises). He is charging me again for the carb. plus the $3000 for the vintage air (which he hasn't ordered/unknown to me)and taxes. I told him about the carb. and he took it off but added the transmission back to it. I ask him about the vintage air again and he said it wasn't holding me up. He admitted at this point he didn't order it. He lied to me, and at that point I told him we was done. I just wanted to settle up with him...give me the rest of my parts and change if there was any and we can go our separate ways.

He owes me somewhere around $1500 and his invoice admits to $600 plus but that is charging me twice for the transmission($750) and he never gave me the $160 water pump that went with the $9000 engine. His last Text to me was Dec 14th , "I will get your stuff together and let you know ASAP." I done some checking. His nice Camaro is in his son's name, his corvette is in his wife's names, his early 70 big block truck is in his dads name. His house is in his wife's(not sure they are legally married) name and his shop is a LLC in the back yard of that house. He blocked me from leaving him a bad review on facebook but he already has one from another guy. He has no skin in his own game. This is not his first rodeo. He might be okay if you have a small issue and a quick fix for cash for him but not a long term guy. If you keep seeing the same old guys at his place...they all got something in common...waiting on service but he don't care about them.

Sorry for the long post/vent. I been mad for a while but I'm getting over it. I will never get my money back and bashing him won't help me but maybe it will warn others. Sad part is I drive past his house pretty often. Good news is I received an email this week that my vintage air has shipped. I been working on the wiring this week. Last thing is I thank the lord above for giving me the talent to be able to do this truck and it was a blessing that Tim didn't take it off the frame.

ncscrubmaster

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I know of a guy that owes a diesel shop owner money. They are out of business now because this was some years ago. Everyday the shop owner went by this guy's house. He always carried his garbage to this guy's front yard and threw it out. He done this for a long time. Said he may not get his money but the one that owes him would be busy picking up garbage.

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
I know of a guy that owes a diesel shop owner money. They are out of business now because this was some years ago. Everyday the shop owner went by this guy's house. He always carried his garbage to this guy's front yard and threw it out. He done this for a long time. Said he may not get his money but the one that owes him would be busy picking up garbage.

LOL...funny but not worth my time. I just want to finish my truck, ride by his house, and blow the horn. Makes me wonder what might possibly go through his mind when he looks up to see its just me for the 1000Th time.

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
Man this is awesome,I don’t wanna be a know it all but if you had took the money for the 383 and swapped a crate 6.2 ls for the same money this truck when finished would possibly bring six figures .Thats just what the market wants now.I am doing an 88 Suburban 4x4 with a 6.2 4l80 205 transfer case ,digital dash with a Holley Terminator wiring setup.Your truck is gonna be a stunner.
Tell me about this 205 transfer case because that is what I put in mine with a turbo 400. Mine has the figure 8 bolt pattern but I believe yours has a round bolt pattern?

Higgins

Ten Pointer
Steve Foulk out of Kannapolis NC painted the truck. Jeffrey Fenning done the body work on the truck. I'm very happy with both of them.

Now the engine guy. Tim Corbett out of Concord and he calls it Corbett Performance. A friend told me about Tim so I had him come out and look at the truck(5 minutes from me) and he gave me an estimate on restoring it. He told me parts would be my biggest issue(covid). New engine $6500, vintage air $3000, change the rearend gears and add limited slip $1600, $5000 to take the truck off the frame or $85/hour. There was other things too like powder coating and exhaust...total estimate was $27000 to restore the truck. This was in Dec of 2020. I asked him how much he needed down to get started and he said 10 grand. I added up the engine, vintage air, and rear ends..came to $11,100.00. I paid him 11 in cash(lets get them parts). Jan 12 th he had my transmission rebuilt by another guy and said it was ready, plus he could go ahead and order my carb $525. So, I went and paid him for both that day. I don't like oweing anybody. Tim was to start on my truck(take it off the frame) first of Feb. First of May, I took it off the frame myself. Tired of waiting on him. He was taking on other jobs between Feb and May. Then when it came to the rear ends...he would not respond to me, so I rebuilt them myself. This tells me he had no intentions of doing my truck, yet he had my 11 grand. Supposedly, he had ordered my vintage air in Feb along with all the engine parts. Well fast forward to Oct. Body shop needs a place to put the cab. I'm waiting on the engine and we don't have a carb for it. Finally, I get the engine and he set it in the frame for me. I see my next issue is going to be the vintage air. So, I called them to learn that my vintage was never ordered. I confront Tim about it and told him he needs to check with his supply. Two weeks after the engine has been put in the truck Tim sends me an invoice wanting $1700 more dollars. The engine is now $9000 (he never said anything prior that we over budget/nobody likes surprises). He is charging me again for the carb. plus the $3000 for the vintage air (which he hasn't ordered/unknown to me)and taxes. I told him about the carb. and he took it off but added the transmission back to it. I ask him about the vintage air again and he said it wasn't holding me up. He admitted at this point he didn't order it. He lied to me, and at that point I told him we was done. I just wanted to settle up with him...give me the rest of my parts and change if there was any and we can go our separate ways.

He owes me somewhere around $1500 and his invoice admits to $600 plus but that is charging me twice for the transmission($750) and he never gave me the $160 water pump that went with the $9000 engine. His last Text to me was Dec 14th , "I will get your stuff together and let you know ASAP." I done some checking. His nice Camaro is in his son's name, his corvette is in his wife's names, his early 70 big block truck is in his dads name. His house is in his wife's(not sure they are legally married) name and his shop is a LLC in the back yard of that house. He blocked me from leaving him a bad review on facebook but he already has one from another guy. He has no skin in his own game. This is not his first rodeo. He might be okay if you have a small issue and a quick fix for cash for him but not a long term guy. If you keep seeing the same old guys at his place...they all got something in common...waiting on service but he don't care about them.

Sorry for the long post/vent. I been mad for a while but I'm getting over it. I will never get my money back and bashing him won't help me but maybe it will warn others. Sad part is I drive past his house pretty often. Good news is I received an email this week that my vintage air has shipped. I been working on the wiring this week. Last thing is I thank the lord above for giving me the talent to be able to do this truck and it was a blessing that Tim didn't take it off the frame.
Hate to hear stuff like this but it happens, in the end you have a beautiful truck to be proud of.

Tjm1534

Spike
205 is gear driven ,the holy grail that will take about anything you throw at it.It came in early squarebodys ,also some Fords and early Dodges.Very easy to get parts and cases for .

Tjm1534

Spike
We are dropping in my engine and trans next week. A 6.2 from a 2017 Escalade with 106k miles .Going thru it from top to bottom,new seals and gaskets and anything that shows wear.A GM reman 4l80 trans Behind it .I know how excited you must be because I am the same. I ,like you started with a pretty clean truck I bought in 2004 and it has been a dependable friend,has been all over in it.Wyoming Kansas Illinois Nebraska and Iowa.I kept it in Kansa in a garage for about 8 years and just used it hunting in season .I’ve had new seats and headliner and when the swap is done will be putting a new Off-road design 2 inch lift on her.Excited. The price of new trucks makes the decision to spend money on a truck that is actually appreciating is an easy one,but I love me some squarebodies anyway.

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
205 is gear driven ,the holy grail that will take about anything you throw at it.It came in early squarebodys ,also some Fords and early Dodges.Very easy to get parts and cases for .
Gotcha...mine came out of a 82 3/4 ton chevy truck. I got the turbo 400 and 205 out of the same truck. I will see how mine works out but I might be changing it down the road to a 4l80. I got 3.73 gears with 33" tires.

Look what just showed up today!
20230114_112304.jpg

Attachments

• 20230114_112304.jpg
    20230114_112304.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Tjm1534

Spike
vintage air is quality stuff.3/4 ton truck would have a 205 ,clean it up and check it out for seals and look inside at the gears. I bet it’s ok

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
Made a little progress this week. Started on the vintage air system. Got the compressor, condenser, and the evaporator mounted. Then run the lines. Put the radiator in and run the transmission cooler lines. I got a fellow coming next to take care of all the wiring. I started on it and got it run where I think it's supposed to be, but I rather have an experience person to hook it up. I had to order a special bracket for the power steering pump. Waiting on that now. Anybody else see that squarebody sale for $207,000 at the auction last week. Thats crazy!20230118_190501.jpg20230118_185913.jpg20230118_190011.jpg

Tjm1534

Spike
You are gonna be hard pressed to keep this truck because one as nice as this is gonna turn heads and people have mad money to spend it seems. By the way drivetrain is out of my truck,hoping to definitely be ready for opening day of turkey season.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
About a year ago I saw a truck that looks like your's and initially I wondered if it was yours. Quickly decided not. Same/similar color, not sure if same exact year. Looks close. You have done an extremely good job on it!! Love the updates!!

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
Yea that's him. That is the big block truck, Camaro and Corvette I spoke about. All those are his but none of them are in his name and that shop is on his wife's property and his business is an LLC. That Chevelle has a 496 in it. He has run the piss out of that man's car. I rode in it with him when we were on good terms. First thing I thought about was you better not run my truck like this. He eventually blew the crankshaft pulley off it. Busted the whole inside out of it. Thats how he treats his customer's stuff. He should of bought the man set of tires for christmas. Like I said earlier, I was blessed he didnt take my truck off the frame.

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
Made a little more progress today. I got the passenger side inner fender in. Put the battery tray in along with the radiator overflow tank. Hooked up the transmission cooler lines. Made a trip to NPD in Charlotte and bought some new battery cables. Stopped at the chevy dealership and picked up an ACDelco battery for it. Trying to get ready for the fellow that is going to wire it for me next week. Ordered a new speedometer cable. Hooked up the emergency brake cables. Then I whipped her down and just stood around admiring it...LOL. I like this old truck.

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
My wiring guy didn't pan out. He was just too busy. So, I took on the task of figuring out the wiring myself. I'm putting the factory harness back in the truck so most of it is plug and play. Only cut two wires taking it out and those was the wires feeding the interior light when you open the doors. I just unplugged the old 700R4 transmission harness from the fuse box and the old AC harness. Still have some AC wiring to deal with. There is a light for the old control panel and little sub panel that I know nothing about yet. I picked up a new speedometer and a clock. This truck had the factory clock. I got the new speedometer cable in. Picked up some new AC vents this week. I sent the new evaporator back to vintage air. I heard it leak before I ever got it bolted in. They were nice about it and sent me a return shipping label. I just want it right. I will run that wiring harness once I get it back.

Under the hood I have the starter, alternator, temp sensor, oil sensors, electric choke distributor hooked up. All the tails lights and front lights are connected along with the dual tanks. I still need to run my kick down switch for the turbo 400. I have one wire I'm not sure where it goes but I been told it might have been an old EGR valve wire.

I called Holley carb last week and ordered everything to tie into my fuel pump. I need one more elbow. Hope to pick it up local next week. I have a man coming out next week to install the windshield and back glass. Still waiting on the new power steering bracket. Won't be long now...at least I keep telling myself that.