86 chevy squarebody restore

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
Installed the new 3" lift springs, new motor mounts, bump stops, and gas tanks. Ordered the new tires yesterday. They supposed to be here Tuesday. I have to order more anti rattle for the other gas tank...seems like I ordered two sets but 1 is all I found in the parts department.
20220806_165231.jpg20220807_170816.jpg

Last edited:

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
My Dad has an 86 he has put a lot of work into. Lots and lots of stuff....but no beauty rings and not that tailgate trim piece. He refuses lol.

I did buy the trim piece on the tailgate for my 97. Ouch is all i can say.

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
My Dad has an 86 he has put a lot of work into. Lots and lots of stuff....but no beauty rings and not that tailgate trim piece. He refuses lol.

I did buy the trim piece on the tailgate for my 97. Ouch is all i can say.

I was going to save my old one but ......

Attachments

• 20220809_195318.jpg
    20220809_195318.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 16

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
I had a neighbor that painted and did airbrushing on hot rods. I intended to take the tailgate to him and let him airbrush it on there. He just kinda disappeared.

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
That biach was expensive even back in the day.

About $500 today for the ban and emblem. Most expensive piece of trim on the whole truck.

I bought a new steering wheel for mine also. Just a detail I see most people who restore a truck don't do. For me I said if it don't feel restored it won't be restored in my mind. I have spent way too much on this truck but I'm not going to stop now.

I bought a cowl hood for mine but I'm going back and forth on whether or not to put it on the truck. I love a cowl hood but will it make my truck look cheap?

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
About $500 today for the ban and emblem. Most expensive piece of trim on the whole truck.

I bought a new steering wheel for mine also. Just a detail I see most people who restore a truck don't do. For me I said if it don't feel restored it won't be restored in my mind. I have spent way too much on this truck but I'm not going to stop now.

I bought a cowl hood for mine but I'm going back and forth on whether or not to put it on the truck. I love a cowl hood but will it make my truck look cheap?

Have both painted at the same time. Install first choice. If you end up not liking it, two guys and four bolts make for a quick change....

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

I like them on some cars, not so much on trucks. That is just my opinion.

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
Have both painted at the same time. Install first choice. If you end up not liking it, two guys and four bolts make for a quick change....
Good option but my original hood had a few dents in it. I bought another hood off another truck. Brought it home and washed it...it had more dents than mine(40-50 small acorn/hell dents)...shouldn't of washed it..LOL. Spending money to fix dents just isn't cost effective. Thus why I bought a new cowl hood. Now I'm second guessing that choice. I really like the looks of them. Mine is 2" high. I got a couple weeks to decide. Body shop shutting down for 10 days tomorrow for vacation time.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Good option but my original hood had a few dents in it. I bought another hood off another truck. Brought it home and washed it...it had more dents than mine(40-50 small acorn/hell dents)...shouldn't of washed it..LOL. Spending money to fix dents just isn't cost effective. Thus why I bought a new cowl hood. Now I'm second guessing that choice. I really like the looks of them. Mine is 2" high. I got a couple weeks to decide. Body shop shutting down for 10 days tomorrow for vacation time.

The dents may very possibly be something you could take care of without paying the body shop. Sure, it takes some time and effort to get it right, but very doable. I would, if for no other reason than I would #1- want the original and #2- I'm too tight to buy a hood just due to a few small defects....

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If they are small hail damage dents you need to talk to an old school body man. He just may tell you how to work them out with heat (torch). I watched a guy do it with a torch and a damp rag a couple times and when he got through I bet they didn’t use enough body filler on the top, hood and trunk of a car to fill up a quart jar. It looked like it had mumps before he started. I can tell you I don’t have the touch for it. I can take waves out of sheet metal but not like that.