7x57 Loads

blackbear

Spike
Does anyone hear load for the 7x57,7mm mauser?
What powder and bullets do you use?
I have had good luck with the 175gr.RN.Hornadys but i think they discontinued that bullet.
I wonder who else makes a 175gr.7mm bullet?speer?
I need to stock up and get some brass too.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
What are you loading it for? Most of the recent data for it is fairly conservative. Some of the older manuals used to print some loads considerably hotter than you see now with a warning not to use in older or unsafe weapons and of course the signs to look for etc.

Combat Diver

Eight Pointer
Also depends on your rifle as does it have military sights? Used to own a 93' Spanish Mauser and a Venezuelan FN49/SAFN semi auto. Old military load used a 175 gr FMJ. William Bell killed lots of elephant with the 175gr FMJRN. I still have loaded ammo and dies but no rifle for the cartridge.

CD

blackbear

Spike
My rifle is a early Ruger 77 .
I have tried to stay with the heavy bullets in case i get a close shot on a heavy bear or hog and my barrel groups them tight.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
My rifle is a early Ruger 77 .
I have tried to stay with the heavy bullets in case i get a close shot on a heavy bear or hog and my barrel groups them tight.

You can take advantage of modern loadings in your Ruger with no worries. Ruger M77 rifles are overbuilt if anything. The 160gr Nosler Accubond recommended above will work on bears and hogs as good as older designed heavier basic cup and core bullets.

1544057454977.png

<>< Fish

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Is it a military rifle or modern rifle???,,,,,,need to know rate of twist.
H380 and IMR4381SC and MOST economically 4064. That Short Cut 4831 meters great nowadays!
My custom Mauser shoots 130's-140's great, BUT my military Mauser likes 160-75's best.
If ya want to shorten your learning curve by decades ask on www.handloadersbench.com and find someone with your exact rifle.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
you are as bad as I am,,,,I have the same,,,,heck I have dies, brass and bullets for a rifle/cartidge combo that I have yet to acquire
X3 on this and several calibers that have unfired rifle, dies, bullets and brass for that are still waiting for me to find the time to put it all together and shoot.
Come on retirement.......

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I was just in the ammo area (let's leave it at that ;)) and seen the container of "other" rounds of ammo - it's labeld "Misc ammo - no guns - yet

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Gun shows is where I've gotten brass and decent bullet deals...an even ammo, since that ammo moves slow, make an offer of $1 off/box when buying 3 or more boxes.
OR brass from the guys at greybeards or handloadersbench
& bullets from the Gun Room in Kernersville, after calling to make sure they have what I want, since they are nearly an hour away.