7mm mauser loads?

Vaughn

Spike
Anyone hunt with a 7mm mauser? If so I was wondering if you had any "tried and true" combinations of bullets/powders, etc...

thanks in advance!

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Need to know what gun you're using ( South American mil surp Mauser?) or other and the condition it's in. I can give you many loads from the Nosler book or others. Do you have a powder in mind? Most of the IMR 4 series powders will work, RL 15, 17, 19, H414 too. 140 or 150 weight bullets would probably be best if you have deer in mind. There are some loads which can get you up near 2900 FPS with a 140 bullet but they're usually compressed loads and I wouldn't recommend you start anywhere near that. If you're new to reloading you might want to get a couple of books to read which detail the ins and outs of reloading; "The ABC's of Reloading" and "Reloaders Guide" are a couple of old standbys with good basic info. There's also a ton of info in the Net. Let us know your experience level with reloading and what you'll be shooting and it will generate the best advice.

Vaughn

Spike
I've been reloading for several years, just new to loading for the 7mm mauser...and have all the reference materials you mentioned. I was just looking to avoid buying several different projectiles and powders just to find out they don't perform that well. Just curious if anyone had any "pet" loads they had tried and shot well for them...

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I have had good luck with the recommendations from the late Ken Waters,,"Pet Loads" is the book to tell you want you are looking for,,,start with his recommendations and you likely won't need anything else,,,,,,,

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
I've been reloading for several years, just new to loading for the 7mm mauser...and have all the reference materials you mentioned. I was just looking to avoid buying several different projectiles and powders just to find out they don't perform that well. Just curious if anyone had any "pet" loads they had tried and shot well for them...

Gotcha. Just didn't know your experience level and wanted you to be safe. The Hornady SST 140 is a good all round bullet, Sierra Game King in a 140 gr is an excellent deer round. Since different rifles shoot the same load differently it might be that you have to start on the low side and work up to see what your rifle likes. I'm going through that with a .280 I built and some .280s tend to be finicky; I think mine is one of those.

Vaughn

Spike
Thanks for the info guys! I will check that out woodmoose!

And Blackwater, what I've seen, I think the 140's are the ticket. Also, good luck with the 280...I've been interested in that caliber myself for several years!

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
in any 7mm I like 139-140 grain bullets on deer,,,,my 7mmMag, 7-08, 280, and 7-30 waters all like it,,,,,,,

BAR25-06

Six Pointer
From latest edition "Pet Loads" by Ken Waters.

Attachments

• IMG_20151108_083137.jpg
    IMG_20151108_083137.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 1

BAR25-06

Six Pointer
Hope they are in order but I doubt it! Good luck!

Attachments

• IMG_20151108_082724.jpg
    IMG_20151108_082724.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 0

Combat Diver

Eight Pointer
I've reloaded for two 7x57 rifles in the past. First was a sporterized Spanish M93 that I gave to my BIL. It preferred 175 gr bullets. Second was a FN 49/SAFN produced for Venezuela. That one liked Hornady 154 gr JSP loads. Sorry, don't I have my reloading notebooks down range with me but I usually used AA powders at the time (2520 or 2700 IIRC). Good luck in finding that right load for your rifle. Its an excellent cartridge.

CD

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
You've yet to answer if its a milsurp or modern rifle, Vaughn.
Military barrels have twist to stabilize heavier bullets normally.

Last edited:

Vaughn

Spike
that is what I was thinking too. hoping things slow down in a week or so and I am going to try them out.

thanks again guys!

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
sorry, it is a sporterized Brazilian mauser...

That's a good action to build on if you ever went that way. I built my .280 on a Model 1908 DWM Brazilian action, but you can hardly beat the 7x57 round for whitetail and it's one I hope to add to my arsenal if I ever find a nice one, that and a Jap 6.5x50 as well.

pickle

Eight Pointer
I hunt with a 7mm mauser I shoot Remington core-lokt. Drops them 30 yards or less !! Love my mauser. Bought it for 60 bucks about 27 years ago.