75 days out!!

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Guys and gals, we are only 75 days from the opening day of archery season!!! Holy crap where has the time gone? Every year I say I am going to be ready way before the season starts and every year and I scrambling the week before opening day getting everything ready!! This is your wake up call. You got a little over 2 months. You better get to work if you haven't already.

This is going to be a different year for me. 90% of my hunting will be public land. The only private land I will hunt are two small tracts close to the house. I did a fair amount of scouting January-April on public so I have my spots in mind. Will also be hunting almost exclusively from a saddle this year. Been practicing my set-up and shooting out of a saddle in the yard. It's different and takes some getting used to, but I am really starting to dig the whole saddle thing.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
With all the heat.... I wait later and later every year to get ready and start hunting.
Just something that is not fun about setting in a stand cooking in your own juice.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Sounds like you are ahead of the game. I already have a target buck. Seems ridiculous but he's already huge. And I've been putting in the time at the workplace no doubt I've spent zero time in the woods. I plan on 1 trip to hang south wind stand and add a huge battery to the camera.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
I’ll have one of the last weeks of September at home after season opens and plan on hunting afternoons at some places I need to do a quick scout of here in the mountains at lower elevation (already got a game plan as far as doing some observation sits on these swampy/marshy areas big need to at least walk the perimeter looking for trails and hopefully some beds)and then get to the Raleigh area for a few days that weekend, that’s about all the archery for me this year unless I hunt the late western season or end up going to Arizona in late Dec/early Jan like I plan on.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I had forgotten how much fun early archery is. big ones in beans got me out last season.
didn't work for me but it is really a good time to kill one.
If you have any doubt take a look at some familyman and Mrs familyman kills from past seasons. :)

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
With all the heat.... I wait later and later every year to get ready and start hunting.
Just something that is not fun about setting in a stand cooking in your own juice.
If I am off work opening day, I will be sitting at about 5000'. Should be a little cooler up that high.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
All you non-Sept hunters are missing out! 1st week of season is usually 2nd best time of the year (2nd only to the Rut).

I’ve shot 5 in one seasons opening week before
Yea...I ain't missing nothing. Unless I see something in some beans that deserves my attention...

I'm to the point that deer bore me. Big deer, or deer with a pack of hounds behind em, not so much.

NCbowhunter11b

Six Pointer
I killed my first public land deer from my first DIY saddle last year. Best of luck to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Just checked,,,

The full moon in August is the 15th - opening day in SC

Can hardly wait

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
These guys just cut through my yard heading towards a funnel my stand is on, I’m thinking Archery this year as well in NE PA.07F8A619-4D22-4410-B711-7B1A43484284.jpeg3994FAA9-E09B-40B6-BA90-5E3E829AD118.jpeg79DB1B29-46D1-4C98-B0D6-0636A9321A9C.jpeg

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
My trail cam quit working about a month ago, so I’ve been going back to the old ways of scouting. Finding a lot of good sign, just trying to decide where I want to hunt opening day. Need to shoot a little more but the groups are looking good.

snappydude

Button Buck
Been out almost every night letting loose about 60 - 100 from varying distances and angles. Haven't been willing to use a climber in 95 degrees to practice haha.

MyHrly

Six Pointer
You'ld better get them Diced up quick in 90+ temps, meat spoils quick....Ill wait for cooler weather.