742 woodmaster. Jam or lock up?

C52

Eight Pointer
My bro in laws 742 locked up tight today. I have always heard about the jamming problem but assumed it just didn't eject and you had to hand ratchet it out. I had to drop the trigger out and I finally worked it loose. I put it all back together and ratched it 3 times and it locked up again. Is this the jam people talk about or is this different. I've read that if you push up on tbe mag it will release, but that's not the case with this one. It's a 243 if that matters

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Lots of times it's a cleaning issue with these guns, especially the models with the Teflon slides.
They have feeding issues as well, but typically that's the long action rifles that are cursed with that.
Check the feed ramp as well as the chamber for burrs and sharp edges, that rifle has lots of years on it and if it's had a lot of action typical wear can cause sharp edges which can cause major jamming issues.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Bolts were a normal problem and the reason they recalled then changed the system.
Most shops have no parts and will not trade, work on, or sell the 742.
I have seen maybe 20 with broke bolts and parts

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
we had a 243 that locked up tight. gunsmith said it was from using ammo that was too hot. anything but Remington ammo. he had to take it apart and replace something. but yeah, it locked up big time.

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
I had one that the firing pin retainer would drop out of the bottom of the bolt and cause it to jam. It would never fully drop out, just down.
100_0576.jpg

C52

Eight Pointer
This started when he thought his scope had gone bad. I found the barrel was loose. I tightend up the barrel and shot 10 rounds trouble free too sight it back in. I handed it to him and the first shoot misfired and the bolt was locked tight. I'll take it back apart tonight, this time completely and clean it really good.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you saved them..check those brass that you fired after tightening the barrel to see if they show any abnormal marks, signs of pressure, flattened or cratered primers..ect..

natedog27705

We had one that had part of the ejector (i think) crack off and cause a similar problem.

C52

Eight Pointer
Ok I gave up. I couldn't free it up this time so I called my gunsmith. He said to bring it to him and he guaranteed it would never give anymore trouble. I said how's that. He said he was going to cut it half and throw it in the scrap bin. I said that sounds like a plan.

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
I grew up with friends who loved those guns but I have not heard the first good thing about them in years. I had a 7600 that was the hardest recoiling rifle I have ever shot (it was a .270)

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Wouldnt bother owning one even if it was cheap and i could resale it in 10 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Triggermortis

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I guess I have a good one. Will shoot a 1" MOA and has never jammed and probably has about 750 rounds through it. Its a 243. Killed about 75 bucks with it too........

C52

Eight Pointer
He got this one a couple years ago and it had never jammed. I think he has shot about three boxes through it. I might have shot a box. It was lucky to shoot a 2 inch group but I always thought it was alot better than the 742 reputation. But when it jammed it jammed up tight. Now this rifle was built in 74 and I do t have a clue what it did between then and a couple years ago.