6mm ARC, who plans to build one?

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Little info in the new 6mm ARC.

Its is a 6mm for the AR15 that is cooking fast and only change is the bolt, barrel.
Most people will change mags for higher capacity. It uses the 6.5 G mags.
They claim to have a 1000 yard gun here. 2750fps and supersonic to 1150 yards.

Being it is a Hornady round, just about anyone will be able to make it.
Being reported that 18 different companies jumped on already.
Cool new stuff is all.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Personally, If I was going for 1000 yards, I would stick with the Dasher out a 26” tube since it is 200 FPS faster thus a bit flatter.

Last edited:

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Nothing wrong with the Dasher. Good round, brass will be a lot easier to get and several factory loads would be a good plus for the 6mm ARC.
What barrel, bolt combo for the AR15. I know they take a lot of work.

Last edited:

v8stang289

Twelve Pointer
I've been reading about it a bit. Definitely got me curious. I'll probably give it a bit of time to see how it performs for others and to make sure brass availability down the road won't be an issue.
I've got a seldom used AR sitting around with a match trigger and a good scope that would be a prime candidate for a bolt/barrel change.
Definitely sounds like it could be a winner for an intermediate range deer cartridge or for smaller shooters where an adjustable length stock would be nice.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I've been reading about it a bit. Definitely got me curious. I'll probably give it a bit of time to see how it performs for others and to make sure brass availability down the road won't be an issue.
I've got a seldom used AR sitting around with a match trigger and a good scope that would be a prime candidate for a bolt/barrel change.
Definitely sounds like it could be a winner for an intermediate range deer cartridge or for smaller shooters where an adjustable length stock would be nice.

That was my though. I have several guns that have not seen the light of day for years.
All with Ziess or Leupold, full float tubes.....
So just change the barrel and bolt. Can just rework a few 5 or 10 rd mags for now so it is easy to get up and running.
I hear that CMMG is going to do full line of product for it so barrels and bolts will be out there and quality items.

Lee

Six Pointer
I am following it closely. If it has Hornady's factory support and becomes reasonably available I will probably go for it. As stated above, all I'm out is a barrel and bolt if it doesn't work out.

Inshore duck

Eight Pointer
If it’s like the 300 PRC has been you will spend all your time looking for brass. Only Hornady makes brass for it. Had to buy factory ammo for first time in 10 years just to get the brass.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Brownells has listing for barrels and bolts along with ammo.

Being the way the roll out is, I think this is going to be a big item. Not talking about the round, talking about the support, parts, availability. .....

They did this like a Shot Show roll out. All the dealers and venders knew it was going, then they released it and product is available.

NCbowjunkie

Ten Pointer
Not me. I’m happy with my 243WSSM Bolt gun that I have If I want it in an AR platform there are complete upper already out there. In my opinion I think the 243 WSSM will out perform this new 6mm arc. I do like some of the new bullets that are coming out of this may have to reload some for my WSSM

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Not me. I’m happy with my 243WSSM Bolt gun that I have If I want it in an AR platform there are complete upper already out there. In my opinion I think the 243 WSSM will out perform this new 6mm arc. I do like some of the new bullets that are coming out of this may have to reload some for my WSSM
I think you are missing the point.
Not talking about bolt guns, not talking about what is good better or best out there.

Talking about the AR15 platform standard round offerings and a new round that is out for it.

NCbowjunkie

Ten Pointer
I think you are missing the point.
Not talking about bolt guns, not talking about what is good better or best out there.

Talking about the AR15 platform standard round offerings and a new round that is out for it.
Didn’t miss the point. Your question was who going to build A 6 mm ARC. I said not me The rest was the reason why. Why would I want to build a 6mm on AR platform If I want a 6 mm I would build it in 243WSSM since I have a couple thousand brass and the same in projectiles of diff grain in WSSM I do have a couple lowers that are itching to have tops. One will be a 20 tac same bolt as 223 only a barrel change out by the way I have not jumped on the 6.5 bandwagon cause I got calibers that I like better.

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I think I’d like to have one. Not sure why other than I’d like too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Not me. I can’t see where it’s better than a G.

Well, other than the marketing of course. Can anyone say Creedmore?!? ;)

Buffet Trout

Twelve Pointer
I cannot tell the future, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it takes off like the Creedmoore...many people like/use the AR platform, which may help with adoption

Hornady said the military commissioned it for longer armor piercing capabilities over the Grendel due to its higher velocity...it needs a 24” barrel for this velocity and military req.

I’ll probably end up with one...it looks capable of punching a deer’s shoulders at 300, and I prefer the AR 15 platform for deer, given the choice

I also like the heavier bullets than 243 win..would like to see it in a ttsx or superformance gmx

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I don’t see this one being a huge success but I think it will find a nice little niche. Personally, I’d want it in a NULA Model 20 Short, a super light rifle made to handle 556 size cartridges. Think it could be a great deer round.