6.5 grendel

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Any one load for it? Will start sometime this week when I get some downtime. Going to go with the 6.5 123 grain sst and either 4198, reloaded 10x. Have a couple of other powders I want to try, but will start with those 2 and see how it looks. This will be in an AR platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cuppednlocked

Ten Pointer
The 6.5 Grendel forum is a good resource. I don't load for mine, but I'd really suggest looking into the 129gr ABLR. It's an awesome bullet and retains much of the weight compared to the SSTs.

The accuracy of the SSTs vs the ABLR were quite different for me. The ABLRs were much more accurate for me. I used the Grendel on my last big buck I killed. The wound on the entrance side was almost the same diameter as the exit side (rib cage). The bullet opened quickly and made a complete pass-through. From what I've read the SSTs tend to break apart and expend all the energy inside the body.

I'm shooting "factory" ammo from Performance Firearms. It's my new favorite to tote during deer season.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Well I shot a few loads today and have to say that the rifle I put together is a shooter. Best load was 26.2 grains of varget, a small rifle magnum primer and 123 grain sst in a hornady case. Probably a .5 moa groups or so. Only went to 28 grains, got about .9 more grains or so to go up. Think there is another node a bit up from 28, groups were shrinking as I got to 28. Brass looked good, no pressure signs as far as I can tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hazmt

Six Pointer
Sweet! This is my favorite round for hunting deer and vermin out of my AR. I have the components to reload, but haven’t worked up a load yet. Glad your results are working out well!