6.5 Creedmoor Reloaders

highclimber

Old Mossy Horns
Hey guys, I've got a Tikka T3x Lite in 6.5 CM, on order, and want to reload for it.
Hoping to go with the Hornady 143 Gr ELD X. I've been reading, online, about what most think, is the best Powder, and it seems to be H4350. Got mixed reactions about Primer Size, when it comes to ordering Brass.
Any of you, have a preference, in Primer size, if so, why?

Thanks

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
I talked to the Sierra folks last year and they found no difference in small and large primer pockets when it came to accuracy and precision. So, I stayed with larger primers and it saves me a few bucks since I can use them in the rest of my calibers.
H4350 is the standard for the 6.5 but some are having good success with R16 and the new STABALL 6.5 by Winchester, as well as a few others. Hornady makes a decent bullet as does Sierra and Berger. I loaded up several boxes of hunting ammo using Speer bullets since accuracy and precision are not that important for hunting. It's still 1 MOA ammo but not good enough for LR shooting due to a lower BC. But it kills just fine out to 200-250 yards.
I would join the 6.5 Creedmoor Forum. They have a wealth of information on the Creed and various loads, powders, and bullets.

And Hornady brass, or at least what I have used, basically sucks. I just cleaned up 100 pieces of Hornady brass tonight and threw away quite a few that had splits and strange weird cracks. This was after 3 reloads with velocities under 2800 fps. I'm having good luck with Starline brass so as my Hornady brass wears out I'm replacing it with Starline or Lapua (when I find it on sale!). Several of my friends got into the 6.5 kick and since they do not reload they give me their brass. And since Hornady makes excellent off-the-shelf ammo that is what they shoot and I end up with their brass.

Personally, I use standard primer brass. My shooting buddy uses small primer brass and we are always neck and neck on accuracy and precision with our handloads.

v8stang289

Twelve Pointer
I just started with 6.5 Creedmoor in January. I agree with Downeast about joining the forum, lots of info there for sure. I'm using Sierra 140 gn MatchKings (and GameKings). I decided to go with Large Primers since I had some on hand, and I started out with H4350 since I had some as well and since it had such a good reputation with the Creedmoor. All my brass is Hornady, but I've only got a couple reloads on most of it so I haven't had the issues described above yet.

highclimber

Old Mossy Horns
I talked to the Sierra folks last year and they found no difference in small and large primer pockets when it came to accuracy and precision. So, I stayed with larger primers and it saves me a few bucks since I can use them in the rest of my calibers.
H4350 is the standard for the 6.5 but some are having good success with R16 and the new STABALL 6.5 by Winchester, as well as a few others. Hornady makes a decent bullet as does Sierra and Berger. I loaded up several boxes of hunting ammo using Speer bullets since accuracy and precision are not that important for hunting. It's still 1 MOA ammo but not good enough for LR shooting due to a lower BC. But it kills just fine out to 200-250 yards.
I would join the 6.5 Creedmoor Forum. They have a wealth of information on the Creed and various loads, powders, and bullets.

And Hornady brass, or at least what I have used, basically sucks. I just cleaned up 100 pieces of Hornady brass tonight and threw away quite a few that had splits and strange weird cracks. This was after 3 reloads with velocities under 2800 fps. I'm having good luck with Starline brass so as my Hornady brass wears out I'm replacing it with Starline or Lapua (when I find it on sale!). Several of my friends got into the 6.5 kick and since they do not reload they give me their brass. And since Hornady makes excellent off-the-shelf ammo that is what they shoot and I end up with their brass.

Personally, I use standard primer brass. My shooting buddy uses small primer brass and we are always neck and neck on accuracy and precision with our handloads.

I'll be using the Rifle, strictly for Hunting.
I've read, probably TOO much, especially about Primer Size. Read an article, (Starline's website) where there were occasional Fail to Fires, in cold weather, with small Primers, which, if true, is the LAST thing, I want to happen, when I'm Hunting. I'm probably going to go with Starline Brass.

Appreciate your response.

Last edited:

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I’m shooting the 147 ELDM over 41.5 of h4350. It’s running 2710 FPS. Using star line brass and cci br2 large primers.
24afe30cc7cebb3bf8379de87dc65c47.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Hey guys, I've got a Tikka T3x Lite in 6.5 CM, on order, and want to reload for it.
Hoping to go with the Hornady 143 Gr ELD X. I've been reading, online, about what most think, is the best Powder, and it seems to be H4350. Got mixed reactions about Primer Size, when it comes to ordering Brass.
Any of you, have a preference, in Primer size, if so, why?

Thanks

I don’t know if there is a wrong or right answer. Only opinion. I would buy Lapua brass and stick with large rifle primers because I have a nice selection.

evansperf

Eight Pointer
If you really want it to shoot, you really need to start with a a really good bullet. Berger hunting vld is most likely gonna be the most accurate "store bought" bullet you find. They are also great deer bullets. I shoot a cm and also a 6.5x47L with varget. It def seems more stable and predictable than 4350. Unless your tikka is a fluke, itll most likely shoot the berger with varget under 1/2 moa on most days.