6.5 cm What Bullet do y’all use

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
The ELD-X 143 is great, but I can only find them at $80 for 20. Thats pricey. I've been buying the norma whitetail 140 recentely and they are available online from norma directly with free shipping.
I bought some from Ed's not too long ago for half that.

Redneckhero91

Four Pointer
On a target… .25 MOA. On deer, very much like a berger. If you shoot behind the shoulder, they work great. If you shoot in the shoulder, it’s going to make a very big mess.
Are you getting good blood trails? I’ve never shot Berger’s.

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Are you getting good blood trails? I’ve never shot Berger’s.
My experiences echo Fireduck’s. Bottom line, they are explosive bullets that do lots of damage. At creedmoor speeds, they work very well. I also shoot them out of 20” 308 which do very well. I shoot behind the shoulder or in the neck so to not damage meat as much as possible. The bullets in question do not hold together per say, but fragment pretty violently, which means they kill quickly if put in the right spot. If I was a high shoulder guy, I’d be shooting solids or high quality bondeds. But only out of concern for meat loss, not lethality.

Redneckhero91

Four Pointer
My experiences echo Fireduck’s. Bottom line, they are explosive bullets that do lots of damage. At creedmoor speeds, they work very well. I also shoot them out of 20” 308 which do very well. I shoot behind the shoulder or in the neck so to not damage meat as much as possible. The bullets in question do not hold together per say, but fragment pretty violently, which means they kill quickly if put in the right spot. If I was a high shoulder guy, I’d be shooting solids or high quality bondeds. But only out of concern for meat loss, not lethality.
I will get some ELDm’s and get them in my girls gun. If one of y’all have some exit hole pictures and want to share that would be cool.

Thutty-thutty

Eight Pointer
I give up. bwfarms has me nervous. So I will just keep using the 7mm08 it works with devastating blows. “ not”
I would keep using that 7-08 . It’s tried and true. Has good bullets for white tails from 120-140 & I don’t see any advantage when it comes to hunting deer that the 6.5 has. If you were talking about paper targets at 600yds that’s a different story . Besides accuracy I just don’t see any advantage of the 6.5 over the 7mm 08 . Just my opinion though

Scrub

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I’ve killed a few with 140 grain Hornady A Max around 2600FPS….surprisingly good bullet

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
I don't shoot a Creedmoor but I do shoot a .260Rem quite a bit. The two best deer bullets for me have been the 120gr Nosler Ballistic Tip and recently the 130gr Nosler Accubond. The Accubond would be my one bullet for everything in 6.5mm if I had to pick a single bullet.

<>< Fish

Scrub

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I don't shoot a Creedmoor but I do shoot a .260Rem quite a bit. The two best deer bullets for me have been the 120gr Nosler Ballistic Tip and recently the 130gr Nosler Accubond. The Accubond would be my one bullet for everything in 6.5mm if I had to pick a single bullet.

<>< Fish

On the Accubonds how fast you shooting it at? How they compare to the BT as far as internal damage, looks like they are just a little less violent.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
On the Accubonds how fast you shooting it at? How they compare to the BT as far as internal damage, looks like they are just a little less violent.
Never shot these over a chrono. They don't look like a bomb went off inside the deer like BT's do. I've yet to recover one or lose a deer with one. A good friend loads the same load for his M77 and he has the same results as me. The blood trails have been really short and easy to follow. Accuracy wise from our two rifles they have shot as well as 143 ELD's. Finding them in stock is the only bad thing I can say about them.

<>< Fish

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Never shot these over a chrono. They don't look like a bomb went off inside the deer like BT's do. I've yet to recover one or lose a deer with one. A good friend loads the same load for his M77 and he has the same results as me. The blood trails have been really short and easy to follow. Accuracy wise from our two rifles they have shot as well as 143 ELD's. Finding them in stock is the only bad thing I can say about them.

<>< Fish
I’ve not shot any of the 6.5 Accubonds yet, but the 30 cals do well. The .257’s can make a mess, even at longer ranges. I’m pushing the 110 grains around 3500 fps and it leaves a BIG hole. Never recovered any from mine or my Dad’s deer, but almost all the exit wounds have been as big as a softball or bigger.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve not shot any of the 6.5 Accubonds yet, but the 30 cals do well. The .257’s can make a mess, even at longer ranges. I’m pushing the 110 grains around 3500 fps and it leaves a BIG hole. Never recovered any from mine or my Dad’s deer, but almost all the exit wounds have been as big as a softball or bigger.
I'm using the 90gr AB's in my .243 ULA this season. Firing from a cold barrel for each shot it makes a .40" hole at 100 yards. Going to try one out on a deer soon. Running them about 3,000fps according to the load recipe. My rifle only has a 20" barrel so it may not be quite that fast.

<>< Fish

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'm using the 90gr AB's in my .243 ULA this season. Firing from a cold barrel for each shot it makes a .40" hole at 100 yards. Going to try one out on a deer soon. Running them about 3,000fps according to the load recipe. My rifle only has a 20" barrel so it may not be quite that fast.

<>< Fish
I’m pushing the 95 gr Ballistic Tips out of my Ruger UL .243, 20” barrel, at 3040 fps. That’s a Max load of RL25. I’m likely going to swap to the 70 gr Ballistic Tip Varmints soon, as I’m not likely to use a .243 for deer.

Scrub

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

<>< Fish

thanks I have a 6.5 BRM that uses a neck down Winchester 38-55 case and I shoot it right at 2600FPS which is about a full case load. Been using 140g Partitions but I have some accubonds id like to try.

TH7

Eight Pointer
Here is the Winchester XP I recovered on 2nd deer I have shot with it. It almost made thru. Was stuck in the hide. Deer was 130 ish yards. Went maybe 30 yards. No blood. He bled quite a bit once we drug him out and on the ride home. Same with last one. Although Last deer was dead on the spot.

Attachments

• 20211207_122554.jpg
    20211207_122554.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 14

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
well, the first rifle I hunted deer with was a 6.5 and it used a 162 grain round nose,,, deadly on the deer I killed with it and they weren't these wimpy southern deer,,,,

of course I'm talking 6.5 mm,,,, not sure I could handle a 6.5 cm caliber,,,, that's like too big for me,,, here's a 6.5cm (65mm) and it's called a CANNON of a naval gun

:stir:
Carcano?

30/06

Twelve Pointer
I’d say that’s a good reason to stay away from deer season XPs.

Shot a ton of deer with accubonds and in other calibers and they did great.

v8stang289

Twelve Pointer
140gn Sierra Matchking over H4350

Recovered from 8pt shot at 240 yds. Shot was quartering towards and bullet impacted at front of left shoulder and ended up breaking a couple ribs and coming to a stop just under the skin on the right side. DRT

Snapchat-1930580780.jpg