5/16 - The last hoorah...

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
With a Virginia tag in my pocket and gas in the truck....I'm fixin' to hit the road and give it one last try for the year. It has been a good season...I'll be sad for it to come to an end. When I get back, it'll be time to switch over into deer prep mode.

Who else is heading out today?

ctsnow

Six Pointer
Spent the last two days of my season in southwest Virginia. Struck a bird at 8:45 Thursday morning and he was in the next holler from me. I moved 50 yards and he closed the distance way quicker than I was expecting and I bumped him. First time hunting Virginia. I’ll be back after him next year. Until next year, all I have to think about is him gliding down the mountain out of my life.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
In SW VA with my daughter

setup on 4 birds gobbling this morning ... 2 Jakes and a gobbler roosted where they were few weeks ago but now had hens w them

Another gobbler behind us off property

After flydown they would shock gobble and answer the real hens .Eventually went to truck and dr to another gate to get on other side of them... got there and could tell they were headed back towards original setup

Drive back to original gate and there stood 2 Jakes in the road 🙈😂🤪

silent since...hunting until 10ish

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Had a hen at 15yards at 9:30..
We called it a day around 10:30

Thank the Lord for another season!
It’s been fun . Always bittersweet to see the season close but honestly I’m tired😂

time for lunch and maybe some trout fishing

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
My season ended same as it started....with hounds running the block. Welcome to Virginia.

Opening day they made a loop through just before daybreak and left. As quick as they ran out of hearing, I struck a gobbler still on the roost right where they had just passed through and managed to kill him. Today they were in and out multiple times....not good...so I finally called it quits about mid-morning and took care of a few chores on the property that needed doing.

It was a good season, but I'll echo QBD2's sentiments....I'm both sad and glad it's over.

WolfpackHunter

Six Pointer
Contributor
It’s been complete silence in TN the last few days....guess the corona slaughter has taken a toll. The place I’m hunting was loaded with birds 5weeks ago....haven’t even cut a gobbler track the last few days.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
So I get the first gobble of the day at 640 this eve. And I missed him at 645....a fitting end to my VA season. If it wasn’t over, I’d quit anyway.

Im gonna take my girls to the beach, eat up all the shrimp and drink up all the beer, and hope I forget it all.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Another silent morning in VA for me but a walk up longbeard made up for the silence. :)
I am grateful for those whether they are scared/smart/hermit/call shy or whatever causes their silent approaches.
i heard him and thought he was behind me but soon saw him at 1:00 position. it was over quickly after seeing him.
But it took 4 hours plus for us to meet.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I wish we had another week in NC. The ghost gobbler has been mocking me this week. Hanging around in my foodplot field, gobbling on the creek'. That's just mean

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I wish we had another week in NC. The ghost gobbler has been mocking me this week. Hanging around in my foodplot field, gobbling on the creek'. That's just mean
juts go down there and mess with him, same game just no shell wasted or bird to clean.

Reactions: jug

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
Another silent morning in VA for me but a walk up longbeard made up for the silence. :)
I am grateful for those whether they are scared/smart/hermit/call shy or whatever causes their silent approaches.
i heard him and thought he was behind me but soon saw him at 1:00 position. it was over quickly after seeing him.
But it took 4 hours plus for us to meet.
Those silent-but-successful hunts are always the same; one minute you're sitting there questioning your sanity....100% certain there's not a gobbler within a mile of you...and the next, you're standing there in total disbelief with your boot on his neck.

Kudos to you for having the instincts, as well as the patience, to allow that to happen. You had to ignore your intellect telling you to move along, and instead follow your gut, which somehow sensed his presence, and convinced you to hold tight.

A well-earned, much-deserved, last-day gobbler. Congrats!

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Those silent-but-successful hunts are always the same; one minute you're sitting there questioning your sanity....100% certain there's not a gobbler within a mile of you...and the next, you're standing there in total disbelief with your boot on his neck.

Kudos to you for having the instincts, as well as the patience, to allow that to happen. You had to ignore your intellect telling you to move along, and instead follow your gut, which somehow sensed his presence, and convinced you to hold tight.

Thank you Familyman but when you have the road map i had all that was required was the patience.
DHSTEN did the heavy lifting i just caught the turkey on the right day.

dhsten

Ten Pointer
Thank you Familyman but when you have the road map i had all that was required was the patience.
DHSTEN did the heavy lifting i just caught the turkey on the right day.
OS, next time we hunt you need to show me this patience you speak of. It is surely not in my bag of tricks. I had a chuckle today thinking about that big ol' rascal trying to slip in on you. Congrats again!

30/06

Twelve Pointer

Those silent birds usually catch me fidgeting, adjusting, looking at my phone or otherwise not paying attention. Hate hunting turkeys when they’re silent. No telling how many I’ve bumped I never knew were there! Well done.