45 Colt?

sears303

Spike
I know it's not traditional for hunting and all, but with the new ammo being made, its an option. As far as anyone using it here in NC, the mountains specifically, curious if anyone had any luck. I know it's a 75-100 yard range, but looking for some local opinions.

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I carry a 6” Blackhawk in a cross draw holster just waiting for a deer to come from behind.

Ain’t happened yet but it’s gonna!!

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I know it's not traditional for hunting and all, but with the new ammo being made, its an option. As far as anyone using it here in NC, the mountains specifically, curious if anyone had any luck. I know it's a 75-100 yard range, but looking for some local opinions.
The .45 Long Colt is a favorite of mine...had S&W replace a 5" barrel on an N-frame .45 LC I had, with the same full underlug barrel they use on their .44mag but bored for the .45 LC...took a Doe with it from a treestand with the 225grn load.
Don't hunt anymore and sold it along with other stuff, but kept my 4" S&W .45 LC stainless Mountain Gun.

sears303

Spike
Oh nice!! I have a thing for old single actions, but I want to put them to use and get meat for my family. I have a Marlin 1894 in 45 Colt and would really like to get some venison and possibly a hog if the chance comes up. Seems like a decent option for the mountains.

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
Oh nice!! I have a thing for old single actions, but I want to put them to use and get meat for my family. I have a Marlin 1894 in 45 Colt and would really like to get some venison and possibly a hog if the chance comes up. Seems like a decent option for the mountains.

i think that will work just fine for your goal. Have a buddy that hunts with a .44 carbine and he has no trouble killing deer. As you know, it’s a 125 yard & in type of weapon, but a lot of places don’t give you a longer shot than that anyway especially if you are hunting in the woods as opposed to across open ag fields.

sears303

Spike
I have a friend hunting 44 mag up in Michigan for the first time this year. Same idea, in the 100-125 max range. This area, seems like it would be just fine. Thanks for the info @Deerherder

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
I use it in a Ruger Bisley and a Rossi lever gun. It works for me. My favorite factory load is the Georgia Arms 260gr HP. It expands on deer and leaves a great blood trail.

<>< Fish

sears303

Spike
Thanks for the load info. I have seen some hot stuff from Hornady as well as Buffalo Bore. I want to say 300+ grains. Glad to hear some folks in the area using that caliber.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I have killed several deer with the 45 colt in a TC Contender w/ 10 inch barrel. All Bang flop.

I have just got me an 1894 as well but mine in 357 mag. cant wiat to try it on deer but got t get one with my 35 remmy first.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have killed several deer with the 45 colt in a TC Contender w/ 10 inch barrel. All Bang flop.

I have just got me an 1894 as well but mine in 357 mag. cant wiat to try it on deer but got t get one with my 35 remmy first.

The 357 mag in a rifle is a whole different animal. Average of 600 fps faster than a pistol. The 45 Colt only gains about 200 fps. Handloaded I'd bet it would be a beast.

Last edited:

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Santa will deliver a 45 Colt Henry lever action to the house this year to go along with my son's Ruger Blackhawk.

I have a 357 Chiappa Lever action a several pistols. I need to play with them and get them right to hunt with.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
The 357 mag in a rifle is a whole different animal. Average of 600 fps faster than a pistol. The 45 Colt only gains about 200 fps. Handloaded I'd bet it would be a beast.
I use some supped up loads in my 45 colt. Also got 357 mag barrel for tc and it is accurate...
I can't wait to hunt with the 1894 and tagging along will be my 27-2 Or my tc.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

What speeds are you getting out of a pistol that you only gain 200 FPS with a rifle in 45 LC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
What speeds are you getting out of a pistol that you only gain 200 FPS with a rifle in 45 LC?

No experience with the 45 Colt, just going by ballistics by the inch. I was looking into a Henry but everything I read said it needed to be handloaded to reach its true potential. I can say from experience they are in the ballpark with 9mm, 357 mag, and 44 mag so assume accurate with the Colt.

Last edited:

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
No experience with the 45 Colt, just going by ballistics by the inch. I was looking into a Henry but everything I read said it needed to be handloaded to reach its true potential. I can say from experience they are in they are in the ballpark with 9mm, 357 mag, and 44 mag so assume accurate with the Colt.

With factory ammo out of my Blackhawk, I’m getting about 1050 FPS,
Same factory load out of my Dad’s 1873 is about 1640

With reloads the gap is about the same, just faster speeds

Last edited: