45 colt blackhawk learning curve

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
I have had a new model blackhawk in 45 colt a few years now that I'm finally getting time to mess with. Only one cylinder would even pass a .451 diameter bullet so shooting lead was just ridiculous. Got all cylinder throats polished out to just at .452 and groups went from 5 inches to less than 2 at 15 yards. I have learned a lot about bhn and pressures along the way. Got some Missouri bullets on the way but for now I'm pushing bhn 16 250 grain leads with 17 grains of Accurate #9 that's hard on the knuckles. At first I thought the last thing I need is another project but I'm starting to enjoy shooting it now. Now that the kids have moved out I have reclaimed the second story of the house and have a permanent place to work and load again. The blackhawk has really put me back in the groove again20230226_101304.jpg20230301_185320.jpg

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
I shoot both a 255gr KT, and a 280gr SAA. Loads mostly with Unique.

Try not to push em to knuckle busting levels. If you're target practicing, there's no need, and if you're hunting, keep it modest and let the bullet do the work.

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
I shoot both a 255gr KT, and a 280gr SAA. Loads mostly with Unique.

Try not to push em to knuckle busting levels. If you're target practicing, there's no need, and if you're hunting, keep it modest and let the bullet do the work.
That's my goal is some easy shooting loads,a 250 grain bullet doesn't need speed to get it done. All I have right now is acme bhn 16 bullets that lead the forcing cone and barrel below 20k psi. The 255 grain swc Missouri bullets I ordered are softer at bhn 12,perfect for 800-900 fps. I got lots of green dot and herco that fits the bill for that speed and pressure. May try out some accurate #5 if the local shop still has some

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
If you cast your own, I'll loan you the 255.

And if you don't and want to try, offer still holds, all you'll need is your lead and a fire;. I got the mould and a pot and a ladle....

In addition to producing deer whomping cavern punchers, loading the Colt with an old Lee Loader is as close to rapture a man can get...

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
If you cast your own, I'll loan you the 255.

And if you don't and want to try, offer still holds, all you'll need is your lead and a fire;. I got the mould and a pot and a ladle....

In addition to producing deer whomping cavern punchers, loading the Colt with an old Lee Loader is as close to rapture a man can get...
That sounds like a good plan thank you for offering. When I get to that stage of the curve I will get up with you,pouring my own bullets will give me complete control of the bhn I want to shoot. In the meantime I will start collecting wheel weights here and there. I almost traded this gun after I found out how tight the cylinder throats were because like I have said I didn't need another project and was really looking for a SA revolver in 357,already was set up and loading for that caliber. But I started reading old Elmer Keith articles on John Taffin's sixguns.com and next thing I knew I had a set of dies shipped from graf's