45/70 Conversion

darenative

Twelve Pointer
Kicking around the idea of a 45 cal smokeless for next year. Looking at buying a cva scout in 45/70 and sending the barrel off.
Who would you send the barrel to to get a bp installed?
Was looking at Hankins in Kentucky to do the work.
Yall give me the pros and cons of each builders ignition system/ pb designs.

poppy

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Hankins did mine. Sent it on a Monday and it was back to my house on Saturday.
I wish I could give you a report on how it shoots but I haven't had time to get to the range yet.
I'm going to use the Hankins brass ignition modules.
Jeff Hankins will do you right and you probably know he's got a bunch of videos on YouTube.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Hankins is about the only one left that will do them on a decent turn around time. Hollis Weber at center punch USA is another that will do it but he takes a while. Jeff's ignition system is great but for personal reasons all my guns have arrowhead ignition systems. My personal reasons have nothing to do with the quality of Jeff's work.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I’m looking to get the same thing, also from Hankins. They carry them already modified in stock occasionally too, ships to your FFL, but I’m sure they go quick when they have them.

poppy

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Got out to the range yesterday with my Scout conversion. Very pleased and impressed with it. Shot it a few times and got the scope dialed in. My last 3 shots all touched so I called it quits at that point.
Can't wait to use it on bucky.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
Got out to the range yesterday with my Scout conversion. Very pleased and impressed with it. Shot it a few times and got the scope dialed in. My last 3 shots all touched so I called it quits at that point.
Can't wait to use it on bucky.
Where'd ya find the scout?

I've been looking for one for a week and looks like they are in short supply, at least the 45/70s.

What powder ya shooting?

poppy

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Where'd ya find the scout?

I've been looking for one for a week and looks like they are in short supply, at least the 45/70s.

What powder ya shooting?
Ordered the Scout back in the spring off Bud's Gun Shop website.
Shooting 4198 powder.
I checked Bud's just now and the 45/70 is out of stock.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
Ordered the Scout back in the spring off Bud's Gun Shop website.
Shooting 4198 powder.
I checked Bud's just now and the 45/70 is out of stock.
Yep out of stock seems to be the new norm.
Hopefully i'll find one in the next 6 months

Packfan

Eight Pointer
Somebody had a basically brand new scout stainless conversion on Doug’s and MeWe the other day for $950 i think. May be gone by now though.

PPosey

Twelve Pointer
Converted 45-70 break action is the way to go, I have an encore and a h&r, both shoot very well, harvester 45/40 baby blue sabots and a quality .40 200 grain bullet with a flat base and you can use charges from stout to mild.

Hankins did mine. Sent it on a Monday and it was back to my house on Saturday.
I wish I could give you a report on how it shoots but I haven't had time to get to the range yet.
I'm going to use the Hankins brass ignition modules.
Jeff Hankins will do you right and you probably know he's got a bunch of videos on YouTube.
I’m looking at doing the same thing, how much did it cost if you don’t mind me asking?

I think it was around $300. That included installing the breech plug of course plus drilling out the muzzle break and 25 brass ignition modules. Hankins has a bunch of YouTube videos. You can learn everything you need to know to go smokeless muzzleloading. I knew nothing until I watched most of his videos.
Awesome! I’m actually watching one of his videos now, thanks!

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
A buddy has one. Hankins did his but there’s a precision firearm builder about 2 miles from my house that does it too and my buddy said that’s who would do his next one. I’ve never shot his but he said if he’d try it with a rifle, he’d try it with his muzzleloader. He said only downside to his is recoil is pretty stout.

This is the place near my house. He has done some threading for me and other little odds and ends and he’s been very nice and his work is top notch. He has a pretty big following around here for his custom built smokeless ml’s..

Scrub

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I did a barrel from Arrowhead put in an encore frame and it’s crazy accurate 63g of H4198 puts it up close to 2800fps with a 275g bullet.