.410 setup ready to go

bhwaugh1

Six Pointer
Picked up a Stevens 301 .410 w/ 26 in barrel today. Excited to get it setup, gonna get a Burris ff3, sumtoy mount and sumtoy choke to go with it and some apex whenever I can find it in stock. It’s going to be my “wife’s gun” (think that’s how I got away with buying it) 😂

Anyone have this combo and found a choke they like? .380 or .385 constriction?

Attachments

• 29ED572A-ADE5-4F14-AAB3-5298B5C59B04.jpeg
    29ED572A-ADE5-4F14-AAB3-5298B5C59B04.jpeg
    182.9 KB · Views: 94
  • 67C5DE29-6759-4C4E-AF3C-999C7BA291AE.jpeg
    67C5DE29-6759-4C4E-AF3C-999C7BA291AE.jpeg
    170.3 KB · Views: 96

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
I have this exact same setup except I don't have a Burris on mine I have a truglo. You owe it to yourself to try the choke that came with it. They are inconsistent but some guys have been getting good results with it. I got a huntable pattern but the Sumtoy was better.

bhwaugh1

Six Pointer
I have this exact same setup except I don't have a Burris on mine I have a truglo. You owe it to yourself to try the choke that came with it. They are inconsistent but some guys have been getting good results with it. I got a huntable pattern but the Sumtoy was better.
For sure gonna try the choke that came with it as well. I have a sumtoy on my 12 and 20 gauge guns and love the patterns they produce.

TrkyJedi

Eight Pointer
I enjoy my wife's Stevens, between the whole family. 7 kills zero misses. I never thought I'd put down my Browning Gold NWTF edition, but I did.

mullet dredge

Six Pointer
Good choice on the Sumtoy mount and FF3. Def shoot the stock choke before dumping a lot of cash on an aftermarket one, I was more than satisfied with mine

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I do not turkey hunt but seen a crap ton of chokes for this gun. For tss loads I’ve loaded, I used to be a compnchoke fan (I still am), but recently saw some patterns through the patternmaster and was impressed. IF I was going with that gun based on The umpteen chokes I’ve seen used with it, Id go with the pattern master. One bad mofo in my opinion. I’ll also add that I am NOT a pattern master fan for any of their waterfowl or other turkey chokes, but damn if they ain’t got it goin on for the choke in the 301.

I have killed a few birds with this same setup.
Factory choke was phenomenal in mine (actually my daughter’s gun).
I wanted a “looser” pattern on this gun, and we won’t take shots closer than 25-30 yards on actual birds. I wanted to have a more forgiving pattern being my little lady is only 8 years old. A bird can only be so dead, and I’m not a fan of the baseball sized patterns at 20 yards from some of these combos folks are
I shot Burgess Creek #9-1/2s for the past two years and couldn’t possibly be happier with the pattern.

For what it’s worth, I cut the stock on mine to fit her. I trimmed about 1-1/2” off the end and I don’t regret it at all.

Good side story…
I killed one with this gun last year, and leaned the gun against the back of the truck when I put the bird in the bed.
This driveway was put in by the utilities company and they used grapefruit sized rocks as gravel and it is rough.
I forgot about the gun and backed right over this thing…. Rear tire of my F-150 crushed the FF3.
My little lady was MAD!!! (She was in school when I ran it over)
We continued hunting it all season as it functioned flawlessly and the POI didn’t change at all.

I called Burris to thank them for making a quality product and told them the story. They sent me a brand new sight to replace it even though I told the rep I didn’t want them to replace it. It was clearly my fault and I try to own my mistakes. He said that when you buy a Burris product, you only buy it once. The lifetime warranty is the real deal.

Good companies deserve to be discussed like this. I will be a Burris fan for life now for many reasons.
Good luck with the gun and shoot me a message if I can help you with it!!

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
I have a Rossi tuffy turkey and it's great.nokills with it.So far has factory turkey chokeshooting9.5 hals load. And it's tight.pattern not much bigger than a bucket lid at40 yards.

bigdrumnc

Ten Pointer
For what it’s worth…on another forum that posts load and choke combos, from my comprehension there is not a whole lot of difference between jebs and Indian creek. I would personally try what came with the gun using bird shot first and go from there. When you get the pattern you like , pop a tss through it. Most of the major brands only give you 5 shells. I bought some apex turkey ninjas they come with 10. Honeslty I doubt I will ever carry my 12 gauge again. Only draw back to a single shot is it’s a single shot. In my case when I have missed with my 12 (I did this year 😪) I haven’t had a follow up-second chance. The .410 with the red dot tss combo is lethal, light and compact. The birds I dropped were dead as a hammer no flop no fuss.

bhwaugh1

Six Pointer
For what it’s worth…on another forum that posts load and choke combos, from my comprehension there is not a whole lot of difference between jebs and Indian creek. I would personally try what came with the gun using bird shot first and go from there. When you get the pattern you like , pop a tss through it. Most of the major brands only give you 5 shells. I bought some apex turkey ninjas they come with 10. Honeslty I doubt I will ever carry my 12 gauge again. Only draw back to a single shot is it’s a single shot. In my case when I have missed with my 12 (I did this year 😪) I haven’t had a follow up-second chance. The .410 with the red dot tss combo is lethal, light and compact. The birds I dropped were dead as a hammer no flop no fuss.
Can’t find any dang apex for the .410 anywhere right now.

TrkyJedi

Eight Pointer
Have you tried Woodhaven, I got some right at the end of turkey season from them. Apex Ninja's in 9.5.

bhwaugh1

Six Pointer
Have you tried Woodhaven, I got some right at the end of turkey season from them. Apex Ninja's in 9.5.
Yep they are out of stock as well. I’m sure apex will be restocking over the summer now that season is over. I’m just being impatient and ready to see how the gun shoots 😂

CBD21

Eight Pointer
For what it’s worth I’ve shot quite a few of them I bought one right when they came out and there wasn’t many choke options so I got on a wait list with Jebs. Since then I’ve shot Carlson, Indian creek, pattern master and sumtoy through several different 301’s. Everyone has been different but the pattern master and Jeb’s have done good across the board as have the sumtoy. All with #9.5’s

bhwaugh1

Six Pointer
Fox Trot was out of ammo and I talked with Apex today and they said they wouldn’t be getting any .410 ammo until at earliest the fall

bhwaugh1

Six Pointer
Finally got a chance to shoot it today. Overall I’m really pleased with the gun. The pattern at 30 yards I love. I shot twice at 40 and the pattern went down a good bit. I’ll post pics of both patterns.

Attachments

• 4269C9EA-D3D7-4A1B-8259-8C959886990C.jpeg
    4269C9EA-D3D7-4A1B-8259-8C959886990C.jpeg
    137.4 KB · Views: 21
  • D5B5DD06-6194-47F5-85B1-A0AE7F378435.jpeg
    D5B5DD06-6194-47F5-85B1-A0AE7F378435.jpeg
    133.4 KB · Views: 21