410’s

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Recently came into 1000 3” 410 hulls. Rather had 2-1/2’s. Bought a Gaep hull trimmer and trimmed them to 2-1/2” specs. 1/2oz of 7’s and ready for doves at the house. Kinda tickled with how they turned out. It’s not super speedy, but I really enjoy roll crimping. These were rolled with a Gaep rolling die as well. 554632EE-C24A-4EA5-953E-589F36CE4BB9.jpeg285AED66-9F4D-4DB0-AE18-E59F5B0BA03C.jpegFDA654C5-F0D0-472E-9393-EFF59D89E5F5.jpeg

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Always just used the standard white paper overshot card but found a guy selling those on Facebook and couldn’t pass’em up. Lol
I bought an old Lyman rollcrimp off eBay last year and have used it some on buckshot. I thought when I got it I would only use it on TSS. Now I find myself using it more and more.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I bought an old Lyman rollcrimp off eBay last year and have used it some on buckshot. I thought when I got it I would only use it on TSS. Now I find myself using it more and more.

Yep. I’ve got 12, 20, 28 and 410 rollers that I use for tss but since I bought my 410, I don’t have a 410 reloader so I’m just handloading. The actual rolling is faster than a press but the other steps slow down the process. It’s still enjoyable tho.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Good looking loads.
Why do you prefer 2.5's?
Thanks

Honestly? Because I hate doing what everyone else does. I’m by no means the best wing shooter but I do consider myself better than average. Shot doves for years with 12’s and 20’s, still plenty of challenge but it is for everyone else also. Then I moved to the 28 (still my favorite), but let’s be honest, not a big difference in wingshooting between a 28 and a 20. So now I want to try doves with the 2-1/2” 410. It’ll be fun and something new to try. My dog will probably hate me in the quest to 15 birds, but she ain’t too old to learn patience. Haha

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
My Grandfather always shot quail with a .410 and the apple didn't fall far from the tree. That's all I've used for years and it's just a matter of picking your spot a little more carefully when shooting doves. I have also found that a few static decoys and a couple of motion deke's really helps.
Like we say on the skeet field, "their not hard to hit, their just easy to miss"......

mullet dredge

Six Pointer
What is your .410 model of choice?

I’ve got my eyes on a Yildiz O/U...hopefully be able to do double duty as a wingshooting gun and perch a fastfire on it for the spring.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Other than a Mossberg 500 410 I bought for rabbit hunting several years ago and 410 tube inserts in my o/u target gun, I’d never had a 410 for hunting. The gun I have now is Franchi Aspire. Only shot it a handful of times but so far, it’s a pleasure.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
What is your .410 model of choice?

I’ve got my eyes on a Yildiz O/U...hopefully be able to do double duty as a wingshooting gun and perch a fastfire on it for the spring.

If you go that route, I predict it's short lived. Taking sights on and off each season and checking zero with $6 shells gets old.

To me, a turkey gun with a sight is a special purpose gun. Every other shotgun can be multiple use.

mullet dredge

Six Pointer
If you go that route, I predict it's short lived. Taking sights on and off each season and checking zero with $6 shells gets old.

Done it, sucks, but never had to tinker much with POA/POI issues from season to season. I do know the .410 can be a finicky critter though.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns

To me, a turkey gun with a sight is a special purpose gun. Every other shotgun can be multiple use.

Speaking of turkeys, I bought it used but the guy said he’d shot it 7 times. It came with a compnchoke .385. Here’s one of hawglips recipes at 35 yards. 5/8oz tss. I was very impressed with this. 210DE7FD-4F67-4131-95DB-D0EA94039297.jpeg

“J”

Twelve Pointer
Speaking of turkeys, I bought it used but the guy said he’d shot it 7 times. It came with a compnchoke .385. Here’s one of hawglips recipes at 35 yards. 5/8oz tss. I was very impressed with this. View attachment 31608
Impressive pattern right there....

I’ve been shooting .410’s exclusively for over 15 years. My go to for rabbits. I have a Mossberg import O/U and love it. Shoots good and a light gun to tote around all day.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
LOL.... don't even know if I'll get to go but I did pretty good on skeet the other week. Besides, it's lighter to tote.

Hazmt

Six Pointer
Recently came into 1000 3” 410 hulls. Rather had 2-1/2’s. Bought a Gaep hull trimmer and trimmed them to 2-1/2” specs. 1/2oz of 7’s and ready for doves at the house. Kinda tickled with how they turned out. It’s not super speedy, but I really enjoy roll crimping. These were rolled with a Gaep rolling die as well. View attachment 31444View attachment 31445View attachment 31446

I really like a good-looking reload! Someone was asking recently about what the benefits were for reloading given the current prices of lead shot. It is relaxing, focused work! Looks like you did some pretty work with these! Thanks for sharing.

jbaldwin

Six Pointer
And to add to what Hazmat said above. You can adjust your load to how your gun patterns by some simple adjustments. Amount of powder, wads, and or buffer and shot amounts...….