4/28 Live

GAWolf

Ten Pointer
Some of us “work for a living” 🤪👀😜

Wake County Schools still doing “asynchronous” days despite being “back in school.” I reckon they are never going away now that people have accepted them as reality. Add those to the teacher workdays they are already getting, and I keep my kid as much as they do on Wednesdays. Ridiculous. But as the two elementary school boys I took this morning said - “at least we get to go hunting.” Amen to that little fellows.

We finally got on some birds. Both boys missed at a bird in the decoys. Welcome to turkey hunting, boys.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Wake County Schools still doing “asynchronous” days despite being “back in school.” I reckon they are never going away now that people have accepted them as reality. Add those to the teacher workdays they are already getting, and I keep my kid as much as they do on Wednesdays. Ridiculous. But as the two elementary school boys I took this morning said - “at least we get to go hunting.” Amen to that little fellows.

We finally got on some birds. Both boys missed at a bird in the decoys. Welcome to turkey hunting, boys.
That’s better than work or school any day!

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
Alarm went off at 2 out the door at 3 at the parking spot at 4:15. I had quite the climb planned to the highest knob in the area so I gave myself plenty of time to make the 700' up the ridge. Sat down at 5:20 trying to cool down and catch my breath lol. It was pretty humid this morning where I was but the whiporwills were going crazy. Daylight came and went and no gobbling was heard. At 6:45 one started gobbling WAY back down the mountain on the last bench above the creek about 400 yards away. I started back down with the gobbler sporadically gobbling about once every 5 minutes or so. I never could catch up to him. I'd gain 100 yards and wait for him to gobble again and when he would he'd advanced 200 yards. This went on until 8:30 when all turkey noises ceased for the day. I spent the next 6 hours prospecting to no avail. Today pretty much sums up my season as a whole but there's still nothing I'd rather be doing than chasing these crazy birds.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
9E3748C1-687B-4527-8610-BA31CBD57236.jpeg2CCDB0B0-84B8-4BF5-8531-A4F3DDDEDBE7.jpeg
baby is asleep or ida took a pic with her.
2 year old. Heavy. Pretty bird. Hour long hunt with three at 100 and less over the course of about 400 yards. Red headed and feeding but still screaming which proved to be his downfall. Finally got in front and above them. Soft calling and a little scratching in the leaves and this one broke from the other and came to like 32 steps. He pegged me right before I broke his neck with a load of 3rd degree. Like shooting a flagpole. Ran up there and his buddy was a hog. He was 20 yards further. Bird in the hand. This was WNC public that wasn’t Pisgah.9E3748C1-687B-4527-8610-BA31CBD57236.jpeg2CCDB0B0-84B8-4BF5-8531-A4F3DDDEDBE7.jpeg

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
View attachment 65356View attachment 65357
2 year old. Heavy. Pretty bird. Hour long hunt with three at 100 and less over the course of about 400 yards. Red headed and feeding but still screaming which proved to be his downfall. Finally got in front and above them. Soft calling and a little scratching in the leaves and this one broke from the other and came to like 32 steps. He pegged me right before I broke his neck with a load of 3rd degree. Like shooting a flagpole. Ran up there and his buddy was a hog. He was 20 yards further. Bird in the hand. This was WNC public that wasn’t Pisgah.View attachment 65356View attachment 65357
Crossed this cold effer like 6 times today. Thank god for chacos.
also picked like 50 ticks. This bird better taste good.
1B1E827E-0CDF-4402-9C51-32D6901944E8.jpeg

Last edited:

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Alarm went off at 2 out the door at 3 at the parking spot at 4:15. I had quite the climb planned to the highest knob in the area so I gave myself plenty of time to make the 700' up the ridge. Sat down at 5:20 trying to cool down and catch my breath lol. It was pretty humid this morning where I was but the whiporwills were going crazy. Daylight came and went and no gobbling was heard. At 6:45 one started gobbling WAY back down the mountain on the last bench above the creek about 400 yards away. I started back down with the gobbler sporadically gobbling about once every 5 minutes or so. I never could catch up to him. I'd gain 100 yards and wait for him to gobble again and when he would he'd advanced 200 yards. This went on until 8:30 when all turkey noises ceased for the day. I spent the next 6 hours prospecting to no avail. Today pretty much sums up my season as a whole but there's still nothing I'd rather be doing than chasing these crazy birds.
Bro you gotta just be sneaky and get around them. Once you figure how they use the landscape, you can cut them off when they pull that crap.
I’ve done it on both birds this year.

get in front like a ninja, call soft and sweet, and make sweet turkey noises. And don’t run your head up to peek and look for him. Lay there like a log till you hear him drumming, then start to figure when to raise your gun. This ain’t deer hunting. This is turkey combat.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
2 year old. Heavy. Pretty bird. Hour long hunt with three at 100 and less over the course of about 400 yards. Red headed and feeding but still screaming which proved to be his downfall. Finally got in front and above them. Soft calling and a little scratching in the leaves and this one broke from the other and came to like 32 steps. He pegged me right before I broke his neck with a load of 3rd degree. Like shooting a flagpole. Ran up there and his buddy was a hog. He was 20 yards further. Bird in the hand. This was WNC public that wasn’t Pisgah.View attachment 65356View attachment 65357
For those who’ve never
4126C363-9992-4217-88CF-877455E99233.jpegCut beard. Cut fan. Break hips. Slit breastbone. Excise lobes. Cut thigh joint and keep legs.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Bro you gotta just be sneaky and get around them. Once you figure how they use the landscape, you can cut them off when they pull that crap.
I’ve done it on both birds this year.

get in front like a ninja, call soft and sweet, and make sweet turkey noises. And don’t run your head up to peek and look for him. Lay there like a log till you hear him drumming, then start to figure when to raise your gun. This ain’t deer hunting. This is turkey combat.
2BB79C6F-82C0-43F8-9A12-340322803C5D.jpegThe downfall of chacos... the briars.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Nicely done dude. I had all but written off the end of the season but you lit a fire in me and I’ll take another crack at it. I could use a cardio session anyway .

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Nicely done dude. I had all but written off the end of the season but you lit a fire in me and I’ll take another crack at it. I could use a cardio session anyway .
It ain’t over til the calendar says it is.
Many birds die the last week.
they get flown off. moved around. Busted up. Horny and not horny. Eaten by dogs and coyotes and bobcats. And then serenaded by fake hens that shoot at them and other toms that cockblock them.

so when you think of it like that... the best time to kill a turkey is when it’s legal and you’re in the woods getting after them.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Remember the green up too.
there’s literally millions of calories on the landscape that weren’t there 2 weeks ago.
between grasses and insects alone.
they Are doing the same thing they always do. You just gotta keep at it.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Picture frame is about dry. Once it’s hard it will hold a standard 4x6 picture frame. This is how i do peoples first bird and put a pic on the leg as a cool frame and memento
79799A15-4252-466A-A249-FE31CEDF809D.jpeg