4/26

81toyota

Twelve Pointer
Would of been a text book morning. Heard the bird on the roost. Set up and little called once. He flew down crossed at 60 seen the decoy and came to 50 yards. Ling story short I missed.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
well if there is a sicker feeling in hunting i have missed it and am glad i have.
just know he can be killed tomorrow if he isnt hurt. dont worry about resting him and all that jive.
buddy misssed the mouthiest turkey in all of NC one am and i killed him two days later in the same field. since he gobbled so furiously he was easy to identify. Good Luck 81toyota.

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
Keep at it. I am confident the bird I missed last season is the one I killed 2 days later.

81toyota

Twelve Pointer
Thanks guys. I'm trying to work another one right now. Won't get to go after bird again till tuesday

81toyota

Twelve Pointer
Well the 2 I got to gobble went silent at 10. So now I'm otw to go get my dad and drive out to Candor to try and get him his first turkey. Wish us luck.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Well the 2 I got to gobble went silent at 10. So now I'm otw to go get my dad and drive out to Candor to try and get him his first turkey. Wish us luck.

ok i wish you luck. :)

But to be honest you dont need luck if you had two gobbling until ten.

that just isnt happening for a lot of folks this season.

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
Haveyou patterned your gun at 50? It is hard to miss thAT far a the pattern is likely 30 inches wide and pellets hitting him somewhere,what shell were you shooting was it lead shot or hevi,tss? I prefer 35 to 50 yard shows in my gun as it shoots very tight and not as apt to miss a close shot.Wish you luck and hope,you get your dad on one.

81toyota

Twelve Pointer
Haveyou patterned your gun at 50? It is hard to miss thAT far a the pattern is likely 30 inches wide and pellets hitting him somewhere,what shell were you shooting was it lead shot or hevi,tss? I prefer 35 to 50 yard shows in my gun as it shoots very tight and not as apt to miss a close shot.Wish you luck and hope,you get your dad on one.
Yea I have patterned it. Shooting long beard #6. I pulled the shot and I wasn't on the sights good. He had me in a real funny position when I shot. I know I missed clean. I got tss at the house but haven't patterned it yet so till I do I won't use it.

81toyota

Twelve Pointer

ok i wish you luck. :)

But to be honest you dont need luck if you had two gobbling until ten.

that just isnt happening for a lot of folks this season.
Lol thanks. This is my first time out to Candor so that's why I said wish us luck. But your right i am having a great season in comparison to others and my past seasons. Every day is a lesson that I'm learning from.

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
Yea I have patterned it. Shooting long beard #6. I pulled the shot and I wasn't on the sights good. He had me in a real funny position when I shot. I know I missed clean. I got tss at the house but haven't patterned it yet so till I do I won't use it.

Ok,just a reminder leleadlooses lots of energy and bone breaking power past 40 yards, I know lb shoot tight but lead is lead,pattern tss it is far superior than lead,good luck.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
4/25 and 4/26 have flat out sucked for me....
Walked 37.3 miles yesterday and heard none.
Left the truck at 4:05 this morning headed back into a remote section of public land in the Pisgah that has several clover fields. Got to the spot at 5:30 only to find the field absolutely covered up with bears. Big bears, little bears, lotsa dang bears...no gobbles.
I have logged lots of miles and time this season and have yet to hear a gobble while hunting.
Maybe Ohio will treat me better next week....

Reactions: SRH

81toyota

Twelve Pointer
4/25 and 4/26 have flat out sucked for me....
Walked 37.3 miles yesterday and heard none.
Left the truck at 4:05 this morning headed back into a remote section of public land in the Pisgah that has several clover fields. Got to the spot at 5:30 only to find the field absolutely covered up with bears. Big bears, little bears, lotsa dang bears...no gobbles.
I have logged lots of miles and time this season and have yet to hear a gobble while hunting.
Maybe Ohio will treat me better next week....
Ouch I'm sorry that stings. Hopefully Ohio will be the ticket and you'll tag out. Good luck, your doing something on my bucket list.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
lets save 81 toyota some coin. he says he hasnt patterned tss but has some.
in the history of tss has anyone ever had a gun that didnt shoot better turkey killing patterns with TSS?
Point is 81 i would be shooting it if i had it.

full disclosure 81 i despise patterning guns shooting those loads. so i aint the best guide on this.

but i surely wouldnt spend midseason effort on determining the inevitable; it's better than what you have.

dhsten

Ten Pointer
lets save 81 toyota some coin. he says he hasnt patterned tss but has some.
in the history of tss has anyone ever had a gun that didnt shoot better turkey killing patterns with TSS?
Point is 81 i would be shooting it if i had it.

full disclosure 81 i despise patterning guns shooting those loads. so i aint the best guide on this.

but i surely wouldnt spend midseason effort on determining the inevitable; it's better than what you have.
I have saw some guns not pattern it well if it wasn't choked properly. Also, I would shoot at least one to check POI.
Patterning with $7dollar plus shells does suck.

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
I have saw some guns not pattern it well if it wasn't choked properly. Also, I would shoot at least one to check POI.
Patterning with $7dollar plus shells does suck.
Exactly right,mine was too tight for me through a hevi-shot undertaker,I ended up getting a way better killing pattern through a modified steel shot Rem-choke.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Whilst the TSS is superior shell still have to pattern I was quite surprised that a Indian creek in my older 870 shot tss # 9 federal poorly but then with the Rhino it wad beyond deadly with same shell. Now shooting a Nitro 3 inch duplex load 7.5 X 9 Ray sent me to try and it out shot the federal 3 1/2 and 3 inch 9's. On side note 81toyota I wouldn't shoot lead at bird 50 yards and past lead 6 while pattern may be decent the killing power in 6's at that distance is as likely to cripple him as kill him id go to 5 or 4 for that range or test them tss 50 is long shot at turkey head.

81toyota

Twelve Pointer
Plans in patterning the tss Monday. That's my next free available day. So hopefully itll pattern out of either my Carlson lb choke or my factory mossberg chokes. If not I will wait till next season to pattern the tss

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We had one on the roost today, and he gave exactly 1 shock gobble and 1 roost gobble. That's it. Called in 2 hens, then they worked off in his direction. Saw 4 jakes. Basically rinse, repeat from previous hunts.

Switched properties at 8:30 to a spot we haven't been yet this year and struck a bird in 15 minutes. Bird responded and closed to 100 yards where he set up camp on an oak flat - for the next hour or more. Threw the book at him for nearly an hour and a half including a couple long stints of no calling at all. He wouldn't budge off of that spot, and he wouldn't walk away either. He just camped out and gobbled every few minutes. I finally told my hunting partner to try to sneak in closer. Because of the terrain, I knew he could cut 40 yards off by dropping down in a ditch and coming up behind a blowdown on the other side. Unfortunately, he kept going a little too far and bumped the bird.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a bird that wouldn't walk away, but this one seemed content to strut in that one spot all day whether I called or not.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Had a buddy watch one strut on same point for several hours he was on a sun hunt the stop time rule came up he waited him out and shot him after legal time came back in

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Plans in patterning the tss Monday. That's my next free available day. So hopefully itll pattern out of either my Carlson lb choke or my factory mossberg chokes. If not I will wait till next season to pattern the tss

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk[/QUO
We had one on the roost today, and he gave exactly 1 shock gobble and 1 roost gobble. That's it. Called in 2 hens, then they worked off in his direction. Saw 4 jakes. Basically rinse, repeat from previous hunts.

Switched properties at 8:30 to a spot we haven't been yet this year and struck a bird in 15 minutes. Bird responded and closed to 100 yards where he set up camp on an oak flat - for the next hour or more. Threw the book at him for nearly an hour and a half including a couple long stints of no calling at all. He wouldn't budge off of that spot, and he wouldn't walk away either. He just camped out and gobbled every few minutes. I finally told my hunting partner to try to sneak in closer. Because of the terrain, I knew he could cut 40 yards off by dropping down in a ditch and coming up behind a blowdown on the other side. Unfortunately, he kept going a little too far and bumped the bird.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a bird that wouldn't walk away, but this one seemed content to strut in that one spot all day whether I called or not.
One trick we used successfully is to let gun man move forward if he can and let caller walk away from gunner. I've had toms break and runn past the gunner. I will only do this with a few close hunting buddies. But we have been very successful.

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
And it seems like when they hang up like that it's in a spot where they can cover anything coming in on them.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Absolutely. We were in what I would consider standard thickness undergrowth, but walking up to where he was strutting it was clear why he was there. It was an oak flat with several large white oaks with complete canopy. He could see 80-100 yards in every direction, and it got thicker on all sides as he left that spot. Whenever I go back, I will make every effort to beat him there.

I thought about doing the walk back trick. I think it works better on a bird who is moving back and forth some. This bird was just locked down. In fact he was hardly walking at all, he would just sit there and spin. Might've worked though.

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
A miss is better than pulling the trigger and hearing click like my cousin did the other day. Always another day to get back after him. Good luck