4/18/19 live from the woods thread

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I'm hunting in Granville County This morning ant it is quiet this morning. Barely any crow calls, no owls, and no gobbles. I figured they'd be hammering today. Not so far.

I hope they're gobbling where you are.

Jim

hclaye25

Four Pointer
N
I'm hunting in Granville County This morning ant it is quiet this morning. Barely any crow calls, no owls, and no gobbles. I figured they'd be hammering today. Not so far.

I hope they're gobbling where you are.

Jim
no gobbling. Thought it would be a good day

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I just cutt hard on a long box & got an answer from WAY across the cutover. If he left now, he might get here by tomorrow.

golfer

Four Pointer
I set up right in the middle of the action this morning. Had 4 gobbling on the roost 75 yards away. Gobbler pitches down and comes full strut to 30 yards. I was on the other side of the creek and had to take a so-so shot. The shot was at 30, full strut, and head-on. I would have thought the Winchester Longbeard XR #5 would have eaten him up.

Now, sitting at my desk absolutely flabbergasted. Patterned the shotgun just in case....yep, it was totally me.

Hopefully he lives to be hunted another day. The ups and downs of the thunder chicken. I still gave God the glory of the great outdoors and the majestic bird.

Packfan

Eight Pointer
Gobbled from roost once. Came in silent about 7:15 as I had made up my mind I was done for the morning and was headed to the office. Another bird gobbled all morning and went the opposite way out of sound.

Looked up and this bird was easing up on the lay down hen. He responded to a raspy aluminum pot of all things. Better to be lucky than good any day.

I’m tagged out so now I’ll try to help my kid get his second for the year.

Attachments

• 2823AD5B-AE39-4C61-9DFF-584C49A83AE4.jpeg
    2823AD5B-AE39-4C61-9DFF-584C49A83AE4.jpeg
    427.6 KB · Views: 35

Apike524

Spike
I set up right in the middle of the action this morning. Had 4 gobbling on the roost 75 yards away. Gobbler pitches down and comes full strut to 30 yards. I was on the other side of the creek and had to take a so-so shot. The shot was at 30, full strut, and head-on. I would have thought the Winchester Longbeard XR #5 would have eaten him up.

Now, sitting at my desk absolutely flabbergasted. Patterned the shotgun just in case....yep, it was totally me.

Hopefully he lives to be hunted another day. The ups and downs of the thunder chicken. I still gave God the glory of the great outdoors and the majestic bird.
It happens, happened to me yesterday bird was making his way up a ridge I was on about the same distance. Shot clean over him. He had a really nice sized beard I just rushed the shot.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Crickets.....got the owls and then crows fired up but nary a turkey noise was heard in the block I was in.

Cam

Four Pointer
Tagged out this morning had 3 gobbling on the roost couple cuts and yelps flew down gobbled once on the ground a was trying to sneak in when the number 5 lbxr rang his bell 11 and 7/8 inch beard inch and 3/16 needles

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Got up late, struck 2 on the ground. Left one because he was barely hear him off property range, left the other gobbling. He had hens going away and I didn't have time to get around em.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Why they failed to gobble on the roost today is baffling. it was seemingly perfect conditions for them to roll and to hear them.
Fortunately they fired up after flydown.
better killem today folks, it aint looking pretty for awhile.

hclaye25

Four Pointer
Why they failed to gobble on the roost today is baffling. it was seemingly perfect conditions for them to roll and to hear them.
Fortunately they fired up after flydown.
better killem today folks, it aint looking pretty for awhile.
I ended up hearing (2) today. I am in the same boat. They won't gobble on the roost. They haven't been gobbling until 7:30 - 8:00 AM. Last weekend I thought it was the weather but I don't understand today since it was clear & sunny. I keep setting up in the wrong locations.

g3trappernc

Twelve Pointer
Dad killed one today in Alamance where I hunted yesterday. Came in and beat up his jake decoy. Probably the same bird I saw beating up a live jake yesterday.

My buddy killed one in Guilford this morning as well. With a bow.

Last edited:

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
Permit hunt this morning. Heard more gobbling than I ever have in NC. Unfortunately by the time we got to these birds they were 500 yards away in a cutover. I made a move to another gate to get access from a better angle. Had one gobbling sparingly. Then one stepped out behind me @15 yards and busted me. Couldn't stay as long as I wanted and may not be able to return but I know where I will be sitting if and do. And any hunter who heard what I heard will probably be parked there at 4am.

And I have a new understanding of filming a hunt. Things close to the camera microphone are not nearly as loud as they sound. Just setting the camera up or hearing me scratch a glass call sounds like a marching band.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

pir8rn

Six Pointer
Was out for a couple hours this morning. Heard a gobble waaaaay off. First one this season.

Nash/Franklin gamelands.

SCnative

Spike
Got me one today. Missed one at 8 yards and got one an hour later at 42. Lol

They were pretty chatty this morning after about 9. Dead quiet before then. Fun day. Hate I missed that bird but he almost ran over me and I rushed the shot as he fast-walked by. He and his buddy came from across a cutover to see what was calling. Very fun until I choked. I looked for that bird for a long time but never saw a feather. I just wanted to be sure he wasn’t wounded. I hope not.

The day was over for me. As I was packing up back where I started the morning I heard a gobble. This was 10 minutes after I patterned my gun to make sure the miss was my fault. I reloaded, threw some Camo back on, grabbed a call and dove in the woods. This one came from the opposite direction of the gobble. He came right in gobbling the whole way. Totally ignored my decoy laying on her side and my backpack and thermos laying in the field. Unbelievable.

The hunt is never over!

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Got in the woods this afternoon...had the same two jakes I’ve seen the past three days slide in.

My patience is wearing thin!