4/10 Live - Opening Day!!

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Those 2 got an education what not to try and do while turkey hunting. I came out and talked with the one that pulled his truck in too close and was DEER hunting the turkeys. I told him next time don't park so close into their roost area. He responded by.... I know how to hunt and I says, well if I can see your truck from where I was, then don't you think the turkeys saw it. He never said a word

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I dont Deer hunt for turkeys and never have . Killed over 50 gobblers and never had to Deer hunt a single one.I call them to the gun close or I dont bother.
You likely hunt turkeys for a different reason than I do.

I hunt them strictly because some of family eat them. So I kill them the quickest and easiest legal way possible, which is usually to pattern them like a deer and then set up where they want to be. Then kill em when they walk out.
There’s no real pleasure in it for me personally, it’s more of a chore, as I don’t eat em.

Reactions: jug

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
Well, we had one gobbling on the roost. Foggy, after flydown I had him coming. I saw him about 80 yards out. Told my buddy to get turned around and when he got to X spot, to kill him. Had the bird fired up. Gobbling, strutting. Bird got to X spot and my buddy blew the shot at 30 yards. Bird ran off.
He's only killed one bird... it happens.

Setup #2.... Worked to sight of a hen. Waited and watched. Gobbler came into sight behind her. Then, a true trophy bird showed. Beard dragging the ground when he pecked the ground. Beard looked 3 fingers thick. Got him fired up and pulled him to us. I was the shooter this time. Worked the bird 30 solid minutes and he hung up at 55 yards. I wasn't gonna take that far of a shot. He backed off to 70 and just gave a heckuva show. Did everything I could but couldn't make him come closer. Had to let him go when he decided to.

I want another crack at him.

Shout out to @Alloy_Calls . Glass over slate had them fired up better than I've ever done.

God willing, I'll have tomorrow.

TH80

Eight Pointer
Didn’t hear a single gobble. Saw plenty of hens but nothing following. Finally saw one strutting on the railroad tracks but he didn’t want to play

np307

Ten Pointer
Well I did at least see a turkey today. I rounded a corner and a hen about turned inside out. Plenty of birds still on that piece, I may give them a couple days and try to work them on a weekday.

slugoo

Eight Pointer
Well my opening day kind of went the opposite of what i had hoped and planned. I got to the woods late, around 6am. I walk up the path of the gamelands to where I had been hunting all of youth season, scouting, and deer hunting in the fall and theres 2 big signs on the gate saying "THIS IS NOT NC GAME LAND. THIS IS PRIVATELY OWNED LAND BEYOND THIS GATE. TRESPASSERS WILL BE PROSECUTED TO THE FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW. VEHICLES WILL BE TOWED.". Now I have hunted this place for about a year and have seen many others hunt this too. It is on the NC gamelands map, and has orange stripes and nc wildlife signs all around the boundary. What's funny to me is that sign that marks the parcel of "NOT NC GAMELAND" is not even at the entrance of the place! Well anyway, I don't plan on taking any chances so I head to a different spot. At this spot, there are 7 trucks. I turn right on around and start looking for new spots. By the time I find somewhere that looks any good, it is 9 am. I walk about a mile and a half around this place and see no sign, and hear no gobbles. By 11 am I have moved to a different parcel, sat and called, and only heard yotes. I was home at 12. Very frustrating. Luckily I have permission to some private land that I don't mind making the drive from Alamance to Davidson for so I might be able to redeem myself for my first turkey season.

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
Woke up late, got to my buddies property at 715. Decided to head to the top of the ridge. Heard three gobbled back below me. Got setup as close as I could to where they were moving to without cross the property line, but still had at least a hen in between them at me. Heard 3 gobble again and silent for a hour and a half then 2 come out heading back the way they came gobbling every step but couldn’t get them to break my way.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Blazing hot again in TX

congrats to all of you who scored on NC and VA opener

I can’t wait to get into those VA mountains.. especially the cooler weather

Didnt hear a single gobble in my first spot, packed my decoy and calls up at 11 and started hoofing it while crow calling. Eventually located a gobbler but I couldnt get him to come to me across a creek and after about 40 minutes I stopped hearing from him. I WILL make schnitzel from him next weekend mark my words!

We need to legalize Sunday hunting on public land. I cant tolerate only chasing turkeys 4 days a year.

Last edited:

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Been listening to two birds roosting on opposite ends of the same creek bottom twice the past week. Last night we were hit by heavy storms with hail. I slipped into the upper end of the bottom and the creek was out of it's banks. No gobbles, no turkeys using the bottom. Heard one shot south about 8:20am. Packed out at 10:40 & saw three gobblers on the drive home.

I'll try the big horse farm tomorrow morning. Congratulations to all who scored and good hunting to everyone the rest of the way.

Jim

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I dont Turkey hunt but I seen 7 today riding around Northampton 😛.

They killed a couple on the farm I hunt this morning.

Shockgobbles

Six Pointer
Dad shot one right after fly down, his first in a few years and I couldn't me more happy about that! I heard several on the roost but didn't have any real action until about 9:30. I had been messing with one several hundred yards away (off the property) for about 2 hours sitting in the same spot near the line. After a few hours I was in the middle of changing locations when I hit the slate and he hammered maybe 100 yards behind me. He had traveled several hundred yards in just a few minutes and I was in a really bad spot to get a shot. It was just too thick and I opted to switch up locations really quick. Long story short the spot where I was standing when he gobbled was bad, the one I moved to wasn't much better and he didn't do what I needed him to do to get a shot. It ended with him putting and running off. I opted not to mess with him any further but I'll be after him tomorrow and Monday morning

huntngolf

Six Pointer
welp had high hopes in caswell that we would have turkeys like you used to but didnt hear a gobble on 500 acres. Miss what i took for granted 20 years ago

nchunter78

Six Pointer
early morning gobbles, afternoon hens followed by a jake.

Everything but a big ol gobbler. Good day altogether.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer