3D Archery in Eastern NC

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Notice to all archers and hunters, compound or traditional, in Eastern NC. Many of you know that before Covid we had a pretty successful group of seven 3D archery clubs, the DownEast Archery Coalition, that held shoots on weekends during the spring, summer, and early fall. This is a FAMILY-ORIENTED group of men, women, and children who enjoy archery and the outdoors. We're working to bring that archery fellowship back to Eastern NC.

If you've never tried 3D archery, it's a 20 target course of life-size 3D animals in a natural woods setting, all set up to simulate a typical hunting scenario. Not only is it a great morning of comradery, it's a great way for newcomers to get into the sport and an outstanding way for seasoned hunters to stay tuned and sharp during the off-season. We're here to further the sport!
Great Swamp Archery Club is located in Ernul on Hwy 17 just a few miles north of Bridgeton in Craven County but we're working to re-open other clubs in Eastern NC as well.

Everyone is welcome! If this sounds like fun and you think you'd like to participate, please send me a private message for more details...

Last edited:

ncscrubmaster

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Well well this sounds like where I need to be. I'll be spending alot more time in Greenville and Emerald Isle. I've only shot at one and had a great time.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Well well this sounds like where I need to be. I'll be spending alot more time in Greenville and Emerald Isle. I've only shot at one and had a great time.
We're still in the planning stages for Great Swamp in Ernul right now but it's my understanding that we have commitments from a couple of other Coalition clubs already. As soon as things get firmed up I'll be glad to shoot you a Private Message with details. I also post the schedule here. We encourage membership in a club but you don't have to be a Coalition member to shoot these tournaments folks, everyone is welcome...

ncscrubmaster

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
We're still in the planning stages for Great Swamp in Ernul right now but it's my understanding that we have commitments from a couple of other Coalition clubs already. As soon as things get firmed up I'll be glad to shoot you a Private Message with details. I also post the schedule here. We encourage membership in a club but you don't have to be a Coalition member to shoot these tournaments folks, everyone is welcome...
Ok just keep me posted. I'll be looking foward to it. Also if you can post the schedule here that would be great. I dont have Facebook and would rather not have to find it that way.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
@Longrifle hopefully we'll get up there to shoot one this year. My son and the Spain boy seem to get along good at practice a couple of weeks ago.

If they team up, they'll take the heavy weight class for teenagers for sure. Not the shooting part, just the weight class. He's a big youngen too.

careyhamil

Eight Pointer
Its awesome to read that Great Swamp is still around. When I left for Okinawa in 2017 it wasn't looking for that club. Is the Coalition still a thing or have the clubs just started holding their shoot schedules?

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Its awesome to read that Great Swamp is still around. When I left for Okinawa in 2017 it wasn't looking for that club. Is the Coalition still a thing or have the clubs just started holding their shoot schedules?
Extreme is doing their own thing again this year in Richlands.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I haven't received any word about participation from any other clubs in the Coalition as of yet. Great Swamp didn't have any shoots last year and re-opening it is still in the planning stages at this point....

careyhamil

Eight Pointer
I haven't received any word about participation from any other clubs in the Coalition as of yet. Great Swamp didn't have any shoots last year and re-opening it is still in the planning stages at this point....
I’ve heard that Leon Jones is running Lenoir Archers, not sure if they are holding shoots, Extreme outfitters has a course in Richlands, and there were a couple shoots out towards Morehead last summer. Wish DEAC could have maintained the umbrella over these clubs and kept it held together.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Leon and company did a great job last year, as did Beaufort and Roanoke. I'm pretty sure Onslow/Extreme did their own thing last year...just waiting for notification of a meeting of some sort to see what DEAC will be this season..

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The boys at Extreme told me that the other folks held their meeting at a time where they couldn't make it and wouldn't do an internet meeting so they could sit in. So they decided to do their own thing again this year. They had 2 or 3 shoots over at the old Basden pond outside of Fountaintown off of Hwy 111 (Chinquapin address) https://www.facebook.com/JuniperCreekOutfittersandGuideService. Don't know if they are shooting there again this year.

They have there schedule posted already on-line. We can't make all of them this year.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Well I'll be damned! First I've heard of any meeting.....
Just messaged one of the club presidents, he's not heard anything about a meeting as of yet...

Last edited:

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Well folks, Great Swamp Archery Club is alive and well, we started tonight with 12-15 members. Plans are to have 2-3 shoots on Saturdays each month, I'll post more info and a schedule as soon as it becomes available....
At this point we don't which, if any, other clubs might be participating in the Coalition...

Last edited:

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We will not be allowing crossbows this year, it was tried in the past and they found that it's just too rough on the targets. If there are any questions shoot me a PM. If I don't know the answer I'll found out from those that do and get back to you....

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
@dc bigdaddy, yes, they'll be on FB and right now it looks like the first shoot will be Saturday Feb. 25, @ 10AM, shotgun start....
I walked the course today for the first time in 3 years, it surprised me how little there is to be done to get ready...
We should have a schedule together by the 22nd, I'll post it here and on my FB page as well...

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Well, lol, I knew it was too good to be true. Plans are for three shoots total with one each month and the first will be one the 25th of this month. Should more be added to the schedule I'll start a new post here in the Archery Forum...

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
There is a good group down there for sure. I shot from the age of 5 until about the age of 18. Took around a 6 year hiatus. My first tournament when I started shooting again was Ernul. Had a good time and shot with good shooters. Shot the best half of a round I have probably ever shot and the wheels fell off lol. I learned a lot about equipment in that next 6 months. I wish I would have known years ago.

Good people and good times.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
There is a good group down there for sure. I shot from the age of 5 until about the age of 18. Took around a 6 year hiatus. My first tournament when I started shooting again was Ernul. Had a good time and shot with good shooters. Shot the best half of a round I have probably ever shot and the wheels fell off lol. I learned a lot about equipment in that next 6 months. I wish I would have known years ago.

Good people and good times.
Lol, been there done that! In 2018 I was putting off surgery and painting my shoulders with Voltaren every day. I had decided not to shoot State but then I woke up at 4AM and thought, "I may get beat but I ain't giving it away!". Soooo I drove 4 hours and got there just in time to sign up. At the turn I had a pretty good lead...and then shot four fives on the back side to come in second place. Lol, that was more 5s than I'd shot all year combined. Sometimes it just happens...

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Lol, been there done that! In 2018 I was putting off surgery and painting my shoulders with Voltaren every day. I had decided not to shoot State but then I woke up at 4AM and thought, "I may get beat but I ain't giving it away!". Soooo I drove 4 hours and got there just in time to sign up. At the turn I had a pretty good lead...and then shot four fives on the back side to come in second place. Lol, that was more 5s than I'd shot all year combined. Sometimes it just happens...

I was using an old plastic slider that I had used since I was probably 12 years old. The plastic would warp a bit as it heated up or cooled down. All of them will to a degree, but that one was moving a lot. Havent had that issue since.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I was using an old plastic slider that I had used since I was probably 12 years old. The plastic would warp a bit as it heated up or cooled down. All of them will to a degree, but that one was moving a lot. Havent had that issue since.
Lesson learned! We've all done it. I took a rig I'd been shooting lights out with, changed arrows the night before a big shoot. Didn't shoot great but shot decent. Thinking I could do better I changed back again before the next round...and didn't.:taz:

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Well folks, I apologize but every time I turn around I get a different version for the number of shoots and potential dates. We have a workday scheduled for Saturday and a meeting next Tuesday night. Maybe I can get some firm, definitive dates and numbers then. I'll keep you posted....