357 Rem Max

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'll have to look up my stats but I seem to recall 158's very near 1800 fps and 125's low 2000 fps in my 22" barrel. The 357 mag in a rifle is fun. Almost no recoil and not loud Even in a box blind. 38's are quieter than 22 lr.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Santa came early, brass and bullets arrived. Never seen a Max case nor a 180 gr 35 caliber bullet. I have to say me likey!! This is gonna be fun!!

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
She's home. Swapped out the fugly Weaver scope base for a proper Leupold base.

Attachments

• 3C7B5ABC-CA84-4687-AD5C-70F4819C510F.jpeg
    3C7B5ABC-CA84-4687-AD5C-70F4819C510F.jpeg
    126.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 10F37D92-A555-425B-9B3F-1EAD03D2060C.jpeg
    10F37D92-A555-425B-9B3F-1EAD03D2060C.jpeg
    98.1 KB · Views: 29

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I dont like 125's for Deer in a 357. I use Rem 158 soft nose. These work the best for 2 out of my Contender and Model 27 but I also have some 180 XTP loads from Top Notch Ammo that were deadly.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I dont like 125's for Deer in a 357. I use Rem 158 soft nose. These work the best for 2 out of my Contender and Model 27 but I also have some 180 XTP loads from Top Notch Ammo that were deadly.

I too prefer 158 soft points in the 357 mag. I will be hunting with 180 XTPs in this Maxi. I do have some 125 XTPs to play with. Bet they 125's would be hell on a yote!

Last edited:

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Buffalo bore has some stout 125grain loads.

I’ve note hunted with a 357 all that much. Only used 125s in that hunting. It did the job without a doubt.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Primers, primer, what primers to use??? Some say small rifle, some say small pistol magnum. HEEEEELLLPP!!

Lonehunter

Six Pointer
For those with 357 Mag Contender barrels, they are known to have long chambers in them. Try a Max case in them they may just fit!

Even if they won't fit a full Max case, it will probably be somewhere between Mag and Max, if you are a handloader you could cut Max cases to fit the long chamber and work up a load for it. Call it a
357 Mag Mag or 357 Mini Max! LOL

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
For those with 357 Mag Contender barrels, they are known to have long chambers in them. Try a Max case in them they may just fit!

Even if they won't fit a full Max case, it will probably be somewhere between Mag and Max, if you are a handloader you could cut Max cases to fit the long chamber and work up a load for it. Call it a
357 Mag Mag or 357 Mini Max! LOL

The 360 Dan Wesson is in between and Starline still makes brass ;)

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That Maxi looks like it would be a good choice for the states that require straight wall rifle rounds. Probably lots of short range killing power without the punishing recoil of some larger calibers.

I've read it can be loaded to nip on the heels of the 35 Remington.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Just received and installed a gifted rear sight. I now have the option of shooting with irons should I choose to.

Dinny

Button Buck
I killed it. Soaked it in water awhile and then gun oil before putting it in the case.

Don't be so sure that you killed the primer. Years ago I did an experiment where I soaked 12 primers in a soup can filled with motor oil. I took them out a month later, let them drip dry on a paper towel for a few days, loaded them into 357 Max cases and fired 10 out of 12 of them into a pile of clean rags. Primers die hard!

Thanks, Dinny

Dinny

Button Buck
As for anyone considering using standard 357 Magnum bullets in a 357 Maximum rifle, test them in wet packed newspaper, sand, water, etc first. I learned a lesson by shooting a deer at 15 yds using a 45 Colt rifle handloaded with a Barnes 225gr XPB (Xpanding Pistol Bullet). The load clocked 1700fps from my 20" barreled H&R rifle. I can't recall what Barnes told me was the max velocity for that bullet but I was at least 200fps too fast. The petals broke off leaving the base of the bullet to penetrate through like a pencil. That deer ran over 400 yards before expiring.

Not many PISTOL bullet are made to withstand the velocities achieved in a rifle. Know the bullets, test them if needed, and make ethical kills.

Thanks, Dinny

Last edited:

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Windy day, 3 shots at 50 yards. Hornady 180gr XTP 21.0 gr H110. Pretty sure I pulled the one shot left. The 3 taped holes were with 20.0 gr H110. Also 3 shots factory PMC 158 gr soft point. I've taken two deer with the PMC ammo, it works great. Have to chrony and test the XTP in the Maxi. IMG_4392.JPGIMG_4394.JPG

Last edited:

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Seeing this thread kind of makes me want to drag out my Savage 24VS .357 Maximum over 20 ga.... lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pastorjeep

Button Buck
Just found this thread and loved it. My kids have all learned to hunt with a 357 Handi. I just obtained some 360DW brass and am staring some load development for this season. Here is my daughter getting her wall hanger.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
You all are making me want a 357 mag or Max now to run with a supressor!

Was thinking lever now back to single shot TC Encore. ....