357 Rem Max

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I know this is an older post, but the main issues with 125gn 357mag was when lots of hot 125gn loads were shot in K frames such as the m66 or m19.
The forcing cones were known to crack at the thinner bottom where they're clearanced for the yoke, and some exhibited flame cutting on the top strap.
The L frame 686 pretty much came about to address these problems, so you shouldn't have any issues with 125's in it. Though my personal opinion is they're a bit light for deer.

I like the 125s on deer. That’s just my preference and I have experienced good luck. Out of a 357max or a carbine/rifle...I feel certain I would try the 158s. I don’t know that I would be into the heavy bullets. The 125s have performed fine for me.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That's cooking. Should hit hard and penetrate as long as the XTP holds together with that kind of impact velocity.

Similar to the muzzleloader questions that have been around. It’s a decent sized bore. Bullets designed for expansion are nice but the old soft points work well. I just don’t see the speed for a super expander in there.

v8stang289

Twelve Pointer
I like the 125s on deer. That’s just my preference and I have experienced good luck. Out of a 357max or a carbine/rifle...I feel certain I would try the 158s. I don’t know that I would be into the heavy bullets. The 125s have performed fine for me.
Gotcha. I wasn't knocking you. If they work for you they work. I just like to go for heavier in pistol calibers for penetration.
But you cant argue with success.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I know this is an older post, but the main issues with 125gn 357mag was when lots of hot 125gn loads were shot in K frames such as the m66 or m19.
The forcing cones were known to crack at the thinner bottom where they're clearanced for the yoke, and some exhibited flame cutting on the top strap.
The L frame 686 pretty much came about to address these problems, so you shouldn't have any issues with 125's in it. Though my personal opinion is they're a bit light for deer.

125 "s are too light for deer. broadside , hit no bone they will work but 158 's are waaaay better. I shoot 158's out of an Model 27 (N Frame) and a TC contender. 158 gr SP are awesome in both.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
125 "s are too light for deer. broadside , hit no bone they will work but 158 's are waaaay better. I shoot 158's out of an Model 27 (N Frame) and a TC contender. 158 gr SP are awesome in both.
I agree. I near lost a deer with a 125 on an angle shot. No exit, no blood trail, and he ran the opposite direction I thought. Only found him because the woods were very quite and his death kicks were loud in the dry leaves. Took the same shot a season earlier with a 158 sp, it exited and he was down inside 10 yards.

v8stang289

Twelve Pointer
That's my opinion as well. 158's are what I shoot. I was just commenting on his comment about shooting 125's being bad for the gun.

pastorjeep

Button Buck
My daughter killed a little spike with the Remington 125 SJHP running about 1450 fps. The bullet actually performed better than I thought it would at 25 yards. Perfect shoot in lower chest through the heart with 2 inch hole in the entrance ribs and a 1 inch exit. Never recovered the bullet but the performance was great. We shot 5 deer with the Lehigh 140gr Xtreme penetrator and lost two with no blood trail. With that said I am no fan of light bullets for deer as we are now using the 180 XTP.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Didn't like the difference in the silver colors, yes I'm a picky bastard lol. Moved the Leupold to my stainless ML and put the Redfield back on. Just installed some yellow/grey laminate stocks.

Attachments

• 5CCB4170-DB42-4145-8FF8-C63D8AC201AE.jpeg
    5CCB4170-DB42-4145-8FF8-C63D8AC201AE.jpeg
    103.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 76B41936-50B3-4F3D-B3B3-675E3E644722.jpeg
    76B41936-50B3-4F3D-B3B3-675E3E644722.jpeg
    68.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
A nickel 20 ga barrel has been located. It won't be an original factory matching gun but it will be a complete gun as it once was.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Here she is as it would have left the factory other than the stocks would be brown, and the missing take down carry case. Rossi makes a case so I think I'll order one. With my newly acquired progessive lense glasses I can see the sights so I took the scope off.

0F47938B-8A75-4B5B-B94F-925CBCD7A446.jpeg