357 Rem Max

45/70 hunter

Twelve Pointer
I'll have to look up my stats but I seem to recall 158's very near 1800 fps and 125's low 2000 fps in my 22" barrel. The 357 mag in a rifle is fun. Almost no recoil and not loud Even in a box blind. 38's are quieter than 22 lr.

45/70 hunter

Twelve Pointer
Santa came early, brass and bullets arrived. Never seen a Max case nor a 180 gr 35 caliber bullet. I have to say me likey!! This is gonna be fun!!

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I dont like 125's for Deer in a 357. I use Rem 158 soft nose. These work the best for 2 out of my Contender and Model 27 but I also have some 180 XTP loads from Top Notch Ammo that were deadly.

45/70 hunter

Twelve Pointer
I dont like 125's for Deer in a 357. I use Rem 158 soft nose. These work the best for 2 out of my Contender and Model 27 but I also have some 180 XTP loads from Top Notch Ammo that were deadly.
I too prefer 158 soft points in the 357 mag. I will be hunting with 180 XTPs in this Maxi. I do have some 125 XTPs to play with. Bet they 125's would be hell on a yote!

Last edited:

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Buffalo bore has some stout 125grain loads.

I’ve note hunted with a 357 all that much. Only used 125s in that hunting. It did the job without a doubt.

Lonehunter

Six Pointer
For those with 357 Mag Contender barrels, they are known to have long chambers in them. Try a Max case in them they may just fit!

Even if they won't fit a full Max case, it will probably be somewhere between Mag and Max, if you are a handloader you could cut Max cases to fit the long chamber and work up a load for it. Call it a
357 Mag Mag or 357 Mini Max! LOL

45/70 hunter

Twelve Pointer
For those with 357 Mag Contender barrels, they are known to have long chambers in them. Try a Max case in them they may just fit!

Even if they won't fit a full Max case, it will probably be somewhere between Mag and Max, if you are a handloader you could cut Max cases to fit the long chamber and work up a load for it. Call it a
357 Mag Mag or 357 Mini Max! LOL
The 360 Dan Wesson is in between and Starline still makes brass ;)

45/70 hunter

Twelve Pointer
That Maxi looks like it would be a good choice for the states that require straight wall rifle rounds. Probably lots of short range killing power without the punishing recoil of some larger calibers.
I've read it can be loaded to nip on the heels of the 35 Remington.