350 Legend hunters

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
So I did a thing today. Stopped in Bass Pro. They had the $799 Franchi Momentum on sale for $599. The display model pistol grip end cap came unglued so they dropped the price to $509. A couple drops of glue later and now you'd never know. With adjustable trigger is about 2.5 lbs and no take up. The bolt only lifts to level to pull it back. The factory included test target measures 0.91" with Hornady 165 gr FTX ammo. Let's hear about your rifles and experiences.

D4365BE3-F13F-4018-BE5D-6E7E12A2CA90.jpeg

Last edited:

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
So I did a thing today. Stopped in Bass Pro. They had the $799 Franchi Momentum on sale for $599. The display model pistol grip end cap came unglued so they dropped the price to $509. A couple drops of glue later and now you'd never know. With adjustable trigger is about 2.5 lbs and no take up. The bolt only lifts to level to pull it back. The factory included test target measures 0.91" with Hornady 165 gr FTX ammo. Let's hear about your rifles and experiences.
Good snag.....I've read that they are good rifles but never had any experience with them myself.
Let's us know how well it shoots!

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I don't know a thing about the rifle, but that ammo isn't the best in mine. I prefer the Federal or even the Winchester stuff to the Hornady and I typically shoot Hornady as my preference in other firearms.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I like the round. The one that my son shot with his Ruger Ranch had a nasty hole through her. Time for him to shoot another one with it.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've been talking to a guy on another forum who's been hunting with one since they came out. He's been using a Ruger American Predator 22" barrel and added a Ruger American Ranch 16.38" barrel (for box blinds). He says the Hornady 170 gr soft point (#3501) is THE bullet to use.

DrSpeed

Eight Pointer
I see the momentum comes with a threaded barrel. I know hornady came out with some hunting 250gr subsonics a while ago. if you could find some, I'm sure some people would love report from the field on them.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I see the momentum comes with a threaded barrel. I know hornady came out with some hunting 250gr subsonics a while ago. if you could find some, I'm sure some people would love report from the field on them.
I've seen those several places online. I may have to look into getting a suppressor someday. If anyone has a range, a can to fit this, and picks up that ammo, I'd be willing to come by and let them shoot it all they want.

DrSpeed

Eight Pointer
I've seen those several places online. I may have to look into getting a suppressor someday. If anyone has a range, a can to fit this, and picks up that ammo, I'd be willing to come by and let them shoot it all they want.
if you think about it further, you should look into a Yankee hill machine R9. It's no frills fixed barrel 9mm can rated for .350 legend in 16"+ barrel. $400 at silencer shop before the stamp. It's rated for .300blk and .308 too, but isn't quite as great as their dedicated cans.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Added a pic to the opening post. Installed a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 scope in medium Leupold Rifleman rings. Anxious to get to a range and give her a workout.

deadeye

Button Buck

View attachment 100805
how do u like that gun

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
how do u like that gun
Haven't shot it but there is a lot to like about it. Not that the 350 kicks but it's got the same soft recoil pad as their shot guns. I love the adjustable trigger and its factory set perfectly. It's got a spiral fluted bolt and a larger than average bolt handle. It's got the shortest lift to open bolt I've ever seen. It uses the Remington 700 scope mount bolt pattern and comes with two piece multi slot bases. Detachable mag. Threaded, one day I may want a can on it. Franchi really did their homework.

deadeye

Button Buck
Haven't shot it but there is a lot to like about it. Not that the 350 kicks but it's got the same soft recoil pad as their shot guns. I love the adjustable trigger and its factory set perfectly. It's got a spiral fluted bolt and a larger than average bolt handle. It's got the shortest lift to open bolt I've ever seen. It uses the Remington 700 scope mount bolt pattern and comes with two piece multi slot bases. Detachable mag. Threaded, one day I may want a can on it. Franchi really did their homework.
got yea i got a 350 in a savage love it fun little gun

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Midway had Federal Non-Typical 180 gr sp on sale for $26 box and free shipping so I ordered four boxes. I bought two boxes of Herter's (Winchester) 180 gr sp with the gun. If either shoots great I'll not reload, if they don't I'll have six boxes of brass.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Midway had Federal Non-Typical 180 gr sp on sale for $26 box and free shipping so I ordered four boxes. I bought two boxes of Herter's (Winchester) 180 gr sp with the gun. If either shoots great I'll not reload, if they don't I'll have six boxes of brass.
That Federal load is what my AR based rifle likes the most as well as my buddy's AR based rifle and his wife's Savage bolt action. I do know it's a very effective round out to 175 yards and I'm sure a bit more but the trajectory starts to become a factor after 175.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That Federal load is what my AR based rifle likes the most as well as my buddy's AR based rifle and his wife's Savage bolt action. I do know it's a very effective round out to 175 yards and I'm sure a bit more but the trajectory starts to become a factor after 175.
Well they just dropped it $23.99 but no free shipping. Still a little cheaper OTD than I just paid...

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Well they just dropped it $23.99 but no free shipping. Still a little cheaper OTD than I just paid...
They carry them at some Walmarts.
I typically reload for it, but my buddy's AR platform rifle is a PITA about the crimp so occasionally I will pick up a box or two just to have if I get low.
I was amazed how accurate that round is at 150 yards, in all of our rifles.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I finally got a chance to shoot the maker reloads along with factory Winchester 150XP and 180 Power Points today through the chronograph. What I found out is that the Winchester factory ammo isn't anywhere close to the published velocities. The 150XP averaged 1980 fps and the 180 power points averaged 1680 fps. Both shot well but that's close to 500 fps slow! This is very likely why the 150XP gets a bad reputation on game performance.

Load data on the solid coppers is slim pickings so I've been cautious and the first string didn't group well but no pressure signs so I bumped the loads up on this session. The groups here are Maker Trex 150 grain going 2324 fps and 180 grain going 2112 fps. Both have some room to push faster and this rifle gets better and better the hotter I load them. These solid coppers with the big expanding petals should be whitetail anchors!
20221028_140617.jpg20221028_142852.jpg20221028_143214.jpg

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Wow those velocities are low. I'm curious to see what this 22" Franchi does. My 22" H&R 357 mag pushes 158 gr factory ammo at 1775 fps, I haven't tested handload speeds yet.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Wow those velocities are low. I'm curious to see what this 22" Franchi does. My 22" H&R 357 mag pushes 158 gr factory ammo at 1775 fps, I haven't tested handload speeds yet.
I've always suspected them to be lower than advertised but not that low. My gun is the 16" barrel ruger ranch.