35 Whelen

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Heads up, if any of you .35 Whelen fans need ammo Gander Mtn in Greensboro had several boxes in stock today.

<>< Fish

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
A hunting buddy bought a H&R single shot in 35Whelen and it is a tack driver with the 200gr spire point bullets.

Southside

Ten Pointer
While on this caliber does anyone have ideas why it never gained more popularity which would have meant more production.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
While on this caliber does anyone have ideas why it never gained more popularity which would have meant more production.

since the advent of smokeless powder the bores over 30 caliber have not done well here in the USA,,,,I guess the early advertising of the wonders of smokeless and light calibers was extremely effective,,,

Cocked & Locked

Four Pointer

Probably one of the big reasons is that even though it started out as a wildcat cartridge in 1922, there was no factory loaded available for until Remington started doing so in 1987. Then the next year 1988, Remington introduced their 700 Classic rifle in .35 Whelen. By then the .35 Whelen was on a slow roll as compared to many other cartridges.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
There has been alot of interest in the Whelen lately [last 5 years]. Many Wally worlds now stock 35 Whelen.
That big old 200gr Hornady RN soft point at 2700fps matches well with the Ballistic-Plex reticle in my Burris scopes. It is very capable clean kills on deer at 300yds with proper rangefinder use and using a scope/reticle combo that you have shot out to that range.
Further, it is not as quick to change course when shot into small limbs/leaves/briars so it is one of my favorites when the woods get thick too.
One rifle will not be perfect for all deer hunts but the Whelen gets the job done for me alot.

Last edited: