35 Whelen

Southside

Ten Pointer
Are rifles chambered in 35 Whelen still produced by anyone other than cva or h&r these days? Most of the info I find on them are a few years old. Most all I've found for sale online are over $1k. Any info or recommendations on this caliber?

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
One of if not my favorite caliber when the woods get thick. There is a NIB Remington 750 in the safe at the storage yard that I am looking forward to working up when I retire.

tarheelshooter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
None that I am aware of unless you go to a custom maker. Remington will do some custom runs occasionally,see them in Grice Sports Shop (located in PA) ads every few years,but still expensive.
Cheapest way into one will be to buy a Savage or Remington long action and have it rebarreled to a 35 Whelen. I should have held onto my Savage 110 in 30-06 and did this but I foolishly let it go.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
There is a beautiful tang safety Ruger M77 in 35 Whelen on Gunbroker. It is at $505 now, probably end up at $800-$900.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I might know where a Remington pump is, that was a .35 Remington but rechambered to .35 Whelen.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
If you really want one find a Savage 110/111/116 rifle chambered in 25/06, .270, .280 or 30/06 and just rebarrel it yourself to .35Whelen. The Savage action can be built into whatever you want from truck gun to 1000 yard rifle. The aftermarket support for these rifles is amazing.

<>< Fish

Southside

Ten Pointer
If you really want one find a Savage 110/111/116 rifle chambered in 25/06, .270, .280 or 30/06 and just rebarrel it yourself to .35Whelen. The Savage action can be built into whatever you want from truck gun to 1000 yard rifle. The aftermarket support for these rifles is amazing.

<>< Fish
What type of work would have to be done to the action?

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
What type of work would have to be done to the action?

No work other than the barrel swap. You would need a new barrel, a vise, barrel wrench, torque wrench and a set of go/no go gauges. There are a lot of instructional videos and how to instructional tips online. It is not hard to do.

<>< Fish

Milky7272

Spike
I have a Remington 700 Classic in 35 whelen. Check around on gunbroker there great rifles

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cocked & Locked

Four Pointer
A favorite rifle...

I also have a Remington 700 Classic .35 Whelen. Remington made the Classic rifles in this caliber in 1988. I hand load Hornady Interlock 200 grain SP's, Barnes 225 grain TSX, and Nosler 225 grain bullets for it. Never shot any factory ammo in it.

I have a Leupold Vari-X III 2.5-8X scope on it of the the same vintage that I bought new. I've replaced the Weaver Grand Slam detachable rings pictured with the older style Weaver detachables.

I like calling it my "358 Whelen Express"

375630574.jpg

375630575.jpg

407809101.jpg

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Those rifles are deer hammers...I used to build that caliber quite often on 98 Mauser actions, for some reason they always had that caliber barrel on sale or clearance in the barrel makers that I used regularly. Dern shme of it is, that I never built one for myself.

Southside

Ten Pointer
I also have a Remington 700 Classic .35 Whelen. Remington made the Classic rifles in this caliber in 1988. I hand load Hornady Interlock 200 grain SP's, Barnes 225 grain TSX, and Nosler 225 grain bullets for it. Never shot any factory ammo in it.

I have a Leupold Vari-X III 2.5-8X scope on it of the the same vintage that I bought new. I've replaced the Weaver Grand Slam detachable rings pictured with the older style Weaver detachables.

I like calling it my "358 Whelen Express"

375630574.jpg

375630575.jpg

407809101.jpg

Nice looking set up you have there.

Deerjager

I have a Remington 7600 and a Ruger 77 Tang safety in 35 Whelen. Love them both and I always keep an eye out for rifles and brass at shows. I too want a 98 Mauser in 35 Whelen. Keep your eyes open at shows, they turn up, but the tang safey Ruger 77s are getting pricey in this caliber. I think Remington also produced this caliber in the 760 model as well. Good luck in your search.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Remington 750 Whelen

A few years back, I ran across a Remington 750 in 35Whelen. It was beautiful and unfired when that boat overturned and dumped most all of my firearms into Badin Lake [I was taking the long scenic way to the Flintlock Valley Range in Uwharrie to do some shooting] the water is really deep there near the dam.