35 Remington.... scope or sights

JBGrizzley

Eight Pointer
So i finally found the rifle ive been trying to get for years. Picked up a Marlin 336 sporting carbine (3/4 mag tube) in 35 Remington the other day and i can’t decide what i wanna do with the sights. Its a 1958 model, got some scars but nothing major at all (bet its got some stories to tell) very slick cycling gun and hasnt missed a beat on my 60 yard target. My issue is the factory sights just dont work too great for me, but i cannot decide if i want to mount a scope or put a set of aperture sights on it.

Options are either a Redfield Revolution 2-7x33 (undecided on the mounts) or a set of Williams FP-94/36 aperture sights. I do everything from deep woods huntin with 50 yard or less shots (normally carry my Henry Big Boy steel 44 mag with skinner sights for this) to 500 yard plus fields. I know thats too far fetched for a 35, i wouldnt take a shot that far with it anyway. Which route would yall go? I’m leaning more toward the scope because i wear glasses most the time and have trouble seeing at longer ranges when it gets close to dark. Thoughts?

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I would be a no brainer for me, late evening/early morning I would just as well stay home without a scope. I have reflex sights on my pistols I really want to hit with.

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have a scope on the same gun but really wanted some skinner peeps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Both. Get a set of Leupold QRW rings and you'll have the option to use a scope or iron instantly.

<>< Fish

pinehunter

Eight Pointer
I think the 2-7 is a good route to go. I am a fan of the fixed 6 power scope as well.

Sounds like a great rifle, 35 Remington is the way to go in a 336. I have a 1967 30-30. Congrats.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I have Williams FP on some rifles and scopes on others. I have trouble using leaf rear sights due to my eyes. The aperture sight surely helped. I use the ones with aperture sights a lot while hunting in woods, especially in the mornings when I usually see deer in plenty of light. COuldn't go wrong with the scope either.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
with glasses, I'd go with a 1x4 or 1.5x5 scope........but I do love peeps.

I must use glasses with magnification the entire lens, NOT MY NORMAL BIFOCALS....when using open sights of any kind.

JBGrizzley

Eight Pointer
Thansk for the help yall. Still on the fence about what i wanna do with it but atleast i got some good options. If i go scoped ill definantly use QD rings and keep the factory sights on just in case

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
My 30-30 wore a scope when it belonged to my grandpa, but after I got passed to me, I got tired of it. I like the way it handles better without the scope since I do a lot of snap shooting, but if you’re hunting somewhere that stays fairly dark even after legal light, a scope is a huge help. IMO, if you already have rifles with a scope, go with the aperture sight on your 35.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I agree with jjwise. If you have a rifle with a scope already (sounds like you do) then id go with a peep rear sight and use it for the woods with shots less than 75 yards. Take the scopes rifle when you have a longer shot opportunity.

Heck, thats actually what I do.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I agree with jjwise. If you have a rifle with a scope already (sounds like you do) then id go with a peep rear sight and use it for the woods with shots less than 75 yards. Take the scopes rifle when you have a longer shot opportunity.

Heck, thats actually what I do.

with Irons or peep that gun is way more than a 75 yard gun. used to shoot at red foldgers coffe cans hanging from bushes on other side of river from my house. from back porch to cans was 200 yards. My 94 would hit those cans every time . when a good buck walked out at 120 it had no problem puttin it down.

8pt buck north carolina deer.jpg

Last edited:

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
with Irons or peep that gun is way more than a 75 yard gun. used to shoot at red foldgers coffe cans hanging from bushes on other side of river from my house. from back porch to cans was 200 yards. My 94 would hit those cans every time . when a good buck walked out at 120 it had no problem puttin it down.

View attachment 60228
Agreed, as long as the shooter is capable and confident.

JBGrizzley

Eight Pointer
Has anybody tried this? Saw it on the internet done to a marlin 444. Take a Weaver 63B and cut the base at the last hole on the rear, and mount it with the Williams FP 94/36. Then mount your scope with QD mounts.0988F739-D8B7-43D4-9155-4CD4E4D838EF.jpeg93EEA177-3E80-4A6E-A770-236333DC831D.jpeg

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Has anybody tried this? Saw it on the internet done to a marlin 444. Take a Weaver 63B and cut the base at the last hole on the rear, and mount it with the Williams FP 94/36. Then mount your scope with QD mounts.View attachment 60229View attachment 60230

I have not done that but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Williams Gun Sight makes a Weaver/picatinny rail for the Marlins that has a built in peep on the rail. Skinner has a rail with a peep now also. XS has a rail with built in peep that runs from the rear sight to the back of the receiver with plenty of space to run anything on top.

<>< Fish

JBGrizzley

Eight Pointer
yessir
set up many like that for elk hunters when I was Gunsmithing out in Idaho!
How was the clearance on the scope at the sight? Assuming id need medium mounts with a 2-7x33 or 3-9x40. Could the screw in aperture be left in or did it have to be removed?

22LR

Twelve Pointer
I wish my eyes were good enough to shoot iron sights. I shot my 870 smooth bore slug barrel with iron sights this past weekend and my eyes only were good to 50 yards. Like someone posted earlier, dusk/dawn shots are difficult with irons.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
A good 2x7 works great on 44mag lever and 30/30

I've just about decided that a 2/7/32 is just about perfect for 99% of all my hunting in NC....
No beanfields or shooting deer coming to feeders at 1.2 minutes before dark....

In the woods, gimme a 2/7 and they rarely get away...
Never goes higher than 2x unless I've got time to sit down and really watch a deer.

Last buck I killed this year was around 90 yards, feeding along while I was slippin on the ground in the mountains.
Sat down, got on the stick, and cranked it to 7x. Neck shot, DRT.