.308 Questions

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
Getting a new deer rifle soon, not sure what yet though...but I think I have decided on the .308 caliber. Just trying to get some opinions on it.

Pretty much only hunt deer, but might go after pronghorn or mule deer one day. Maybe black bear. Also want something that I can accurately shoot out to 400 yards... Wanting a heavy barrel, around 20"-22".

Would you say the 308 would fit the bill?

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yep, a .300 Win mag would fit the bill nicely. If you don't need the extra umph you can always load down.

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
I've had .300 mags, sold them...had a 7m m mag for years, selling it...looking for a lighter kicking gun that will still do the trick.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
Yep, .308 would do well, very accurate and flat enough shooting, especially if you don't mind sighting in 2 1/2 high or so at 100 yards or better yet, get a scope that you can dial in the elevation...

Remember, the .308 was used for years as a sniper rifle as well...

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've had .300 mags, sold them...had a 7m m mag for years, selling it...looking for a lighter kicking gun that will still do the trick.
I understand, I shot .300's for years and never had any of them that I considered real bad, all were fairly heavy. I finally ran across a .300 RUM that rang my bell and it turned me against recoil.

The largest "big game" rifle now I have is a 26/06. I have some old stuff that was my fathers and I just bought a .458 SOCOM but nothing to take a beating with.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
.308 will do all you want well. The 26.06 is another fine specimen. .30-06 will give you a bit more bang but it's not a whole lot.

I prefer the .30-06 over a 308 simply because there is a slight advantage. The .308 in theory is a touch more accurate due to being a short action...but we are talking minimal. The difference from gun to gun would be more than the theoretical advantage there.

I'm curious about the .25/06. 30/06 should be a touch flatter out at long yard ages.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Lots of different loads and bullets for the .308 Winchester

It should fit your bill and does not kick like a 300 magnum

Pretty much every gun maker chambers for it

Last edited:

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Check into 165-168 grain stuff. Many times they will out perform at long range to to better coefficient.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
30-06 would be my vote. At longer distances you'll find that there's a considerable difference.
And as for recoil, there's not much difference at all.
There's very little difference at distances under 300 yards.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
The .308Win should work fine for those hunting/shooting needs. What rifle(s) are you looking at? The Remington LTR and the Savage Precision Carbine are worth a look if you have not settled on a make/model.

<>< Fish

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I would consider barrel length if you want a 400yd gun. It won't be more accurate, but it will allow a bit more velocity vs. shorter barrels for biggers rounds. I think a 308 pretty much burns it's powder with 22" barrels. Some of the others benefit from 24-26"

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Come to the house zombie you can try out the BAR, AR10, Savage 99, or Winchester 88.
Personally i wouldnt take game past 750, due to energy loss, its still sufficient past that but might be questionable in certain conditions.
308 is one of if not is my favorite rifle round, and there are lots of very accurate rifle options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

22LR

Twelve Pointer
I had a Savage Tactical in .308 that grouped great at 100yards. A real shooter & the barrel wasn't very long. After a season of hunting with it I decided that it wasn't a hunting gun. With the bull barrel, it was just too heavy for me to tote around. As far as the caliber it's a good deer round. Hope this helps

Big Country

Ten Pointer
It is my favorite caliber, I use a 125gr Sierra prohunter for deer that works great, if bear hunting I may look at a little heavier bullet. It will do everything you are wanting it to.

1SHOT1KILL

Old Mossy Horns
Out to 400yds, there is less than a 22LR difference between the 308 Win and 30-06. If you are handloading for the 308 Win, look at the 165gr Nosler Accu Bond bullet. It is as good as any out there for antalope, whitetail, mule deer, and bear. That bullet will ge the job done. Load it up to around 2,700 FPS and 400yds will be no problem with some regular pratice at that range. Slap a quality scope on that has excellent repeatability or a BDC in it and learn to use it and no deer or antalope at 400yds will be safe.

As far as rifle, anything above 22" in barrel length is going to be in a heavy barrel configuration, which may heavier than you really want the rifle to be. IMO, I'd look at building one. I would look for a used Savage/Stevens model 200 in something like 243 Win, 7mm-08, or 308 Win, in the $250-$300 range. I would drop a 22"-23" heavy sporter match SS barrel in it for $400 (drop in match barrels for Savage are plentiful and affordable these days), drop it in a Boyds laminate stock for $100, and drop a Rifle Basix or Timney trigger in for $90, and have a rifle that I set up the way I truly wanted, instead of settling for a one size fits all off the shelf something.

Last edited:

SadisticBoar1999

3006; so many ammo and grain to choose.
Remember, it was used by our famous sniper in the Vietnam War, Carlos Hathcock; so reaching out to 400 yds wouldn't be a problem with the grain and ammo combo imo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
As far as rifle, anything above 22" in barrel length is going to be in a heavy barrel configuration, which may heavier than you really want the rifle to be. IMO, I'd look at building one. I would look for a used Savage/Stevens model 200 in something like 243 Win, 7mm-08, or 308 Win, in the $250-$300 range. I would drop a 22"-23" heavy sporter match SS barrel in it for $400 (drop in match barrels for Savage are plentiful and affordable these days), drop it in a Boyds laminate stock for $100, and drop a Rifle Basix or Timney trigger in for $90, and have a rifle that I set up the way I truly wanted, instead of settling for a one size fits all off the shelf something.

I like this idea!

Another question, where is the best place to buy stocks, barrels, and triggers? I normally shop midway and brownells, didn't know if there's a better place

Last edited:

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
308 will fit the bill for what you want.

For stocks check out Boyds or Stocky Stocks.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Boyds for stocks... Brownells for most everything else... Barrels id get direct from the mfg.

deerhunter28

Ten Pointer
I like this idea!

Another question, where is the best place to buy stocks, barrels, and triggers? I normally shop midway and brownells, didn't know if there's a better place

Locate a reputable smith and let him/her guide you.
Sometimes it helps to let them make a few bucks off the items.

1SHOT1KILL

Old Mossy Horns
Zombie,
I go straight to the barrel makers for my barrels. I can get either pre-fit and pre-chambered ready to headspace and screw in barrels in the contour, twist, chamber, crown, finish, etc., that I or my customer wants or barrel blanks in caliber and twist that I contour, chamber, crown, finish, etc., myself. If you go to Brownell's or Midway, you have to settle for what they offer. For stocks, go straight to the stock maker, like if you want a Boyd's stock, then go to Boyd's; if you want a Manners, go to Manners. You can get your triggers, mounts, rings, etc., and stuff like Go/No Go gauges, barrel nut wrench, barrel vise, etc., from Brownell's or Midway.

For barrels, I would go with a quality maker like McGowen, Shilen, PacNor, since you will be putting together a hunting rifle and no a match rifle and the barrel would be much better than any factory barrel, and these makers offer pre-chambered, pre-threaded, ready to screw in barrels for Savages. No need to spend the extra $$ on a Kreiger, Brux, Broughton, Lilja, Hart, etc., top tier match barrel. However, IMO I would stay away from the likes of Adams & Bennett, ER Shaw, Douglas, etc., even though some will differ and swear by them as great barrels, but I refuse to have them in my shop.

Last edited:

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Shilen makes dome of the best barrels, and barrel swapping a Savage is really simple. If you go with a boyds stock be ready to do some woodwork before you finish em. Great stocks if you want a laminate, also you can catch guys selling HS factory take offs online for under $200.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
Get a 7mm-08 and don't look back. Something magical about that round. Mine just kills everything I aim at. ;)

HillBilly2

Four Pointer
308 is probably worlds best deer rifle. You don't really need a heavy barrel, you'll find out somewhere in the second mile of carrying. You don't need a custom barrel or stock to hunt deer, a good factory gun will kill a deer just fine. Instead of spending 3 grand on a rifle why not get a good scope and a guided hunt somewhere? Just saying. :)

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
I second the notions that a .308 Win is more than sufficient for any deer species or black bear you will encounter and of not needing a heavy barrel unless you will be doing a lot of shooting from a bench rest. With properly tuned handloads even the lightest/thinnest of barrels can be tack drivers and they are much easier and more friendly to tote around in the woods.

One thing to look for is a barrel with a faster twist that can stabilize heavier projectiles should your desire or need to go above 165-168 happen. However the 165-168 weight range is typically the most efficient in a .308 and you can lose efficacy by not being able to launch the heavier fodder with sufficient velocity in the .308 Win cartridge. That said with the exception of large western brown bears the .308 Win with 165-168gr projectiles is good medicine for any north American game in terms of terminal performance and accuracy to 400+/- yards. Just pick your bullet of choice and work up loads that produce ample velocity with the desired accuracy and leave it at that.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I would pick up a rem 700 tac or Pss and work crom there.

Midway is one of the best to get stocks and triggers.
Most the time they run up to 30 and 50$ off online orders.

I ordered a stock got 50 off and then ordered a trigger with 20$ off and better prices then most places.

Stockeys can be a good place but there prices jumped a little back.

PWR-WGN

Have you considered the Remington 700 sps tac? I have the aac-sd and its a real shooter. I have the 20" version, and I love it. I did add a B&C stock and timney trigger, but still not coming in much over a grand in the rifle. It has the short heavy barel and is avaliable in .308.

Last edited by a moderator: