.308 build

EazyE02

Button Buck
Looking to start my first rifle build. I have a savage model 11 .308, Just trying to figure out if it's a short action rifle or long. I think it is a short action. I'm wanting to redo the cheap barrel, and the cheap stock on this rifle, I'm looking to turn it into a long range gun, but also be able to use it for hunting purpose as well, just trying to find the right barrel for this gun, what twist would I run? Thinking about a Shilen's barrel. Should I go heavy sporter, varmint, or bull? I think a bull barrel would be ideal, but heavy. Thinking a Boyd's stock or Mcmillan's have-not decided on that yet.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Sky’s the limit. You can shoot at 800yds. With a thin barrel. But as you know heats up faster? Are you building a box stand rifle or hiking rifle? The guys at savage shooters have a lot of pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
have a savage model 11 .308, Just trying to figure out if it's a short action rifle or long. I think it is a short action.

you think right

on savages - the two number models (10, 11, 12) are short actions,,,three numbers are long (110, 111, 112)

just my "old man two cents" but you may want to do a lot of reading and studying on the basics of guns before jumping off to do gunsmithing

just saying

Inshore duck

Eight Pointer
The rifle in its current state will likely outshoot most shooters. Learn on it, then if you like it then step up. If you really wanted to play the long distance game I would buy a better action( Surgeon, Defiance) before I dropped a 1000+ dollar McMillian/Manners stock and a Bartelin barrel in it. I’m close to 4K in my last build.

EazyE02

Button Buck
I have a savage 110 tactical version 6.5 creed, and it shoots like a charm has a nice Vortex scope on it, but just a tad too heavy for my liking which I don't mind just like a little lighter application. But I would like to go another route with my 308 model 11, I've done research, and think I can take on the task, but I'll keep researching though.

EazyE02

Button Buck
The 6.5 Creedmoor shoots great tight groups using the Remington corelocks which I'm very surprised on.. But my the rest needs to be fine tune, no factory ammo is shooting tight groups. Having a smith look at my 308 right now has a major head spacing issue, won't close on a "go gauge".

haulinbass

Four Pointer
Looking to start my first rifle build. I have a savage model 11 .308, Just trying to figure out if it's a short action rifle or long. I think it is a short action. I'm wanting to redo the cheap barrel, and the cheap stock on this rifle, I'm looking to turn it into a long range gun, but also be able to use it for hunting purpose as well, just trying to find the right barrel for this gun, what twist would I run? Thinking about a Shilen's barrel. Should I go heavy sporter, varmint, or bull? I think a bull barrel would be ideal, but heavy. Thinking a Boyd's stock or Mcmillan's have-not decided on that yet.
If its a 308, then it is a short action...Am I missing something or is'nt the action determined by the caliber? 308, 7mm-08 are shorts as well as the new short mags, and calibers like 06, 7mm, 300 are long action??

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
If its a 308, then it is a short action...Am I missing something or is'nt the action determined by the caliber? 308, 7mm-08 are shorts as well as the new short mags, and calibers like 06, 7mm, 300 are long action??

not exactly,,,,the cartridge is just that,,,the cartridge,,

you can chamner a short(er) round like a .308 winchester in along action firearm,,can't go the other way though

some gun makers make actions sized to the cartidge,,,long and short and some even shorter for Hornet sized cases,,,but's it not an automatic thing

pinehunter

Eight Pointer
The rifle in its current state will likely outshoot most shooters. Learn on it, then if you like it then step up. If you really wanted to play the long distance game I would buy a better action( Surgeon, Defiance) before I dropped a 1000+ dollar McMillian/Manners stock and a Bartelin barrel in it. I’m close to 4K in my last build.

I have seen a lot of posts like this on internet forums.

I will say this, if you are capable of sub MOA shooting then you can find out pretty definitively over 3 to five range sessions using different projectiles what your gun in capable of.

I fired approximately 1300 rounds through my Savage 11 .308 that I bought new with the Nikon scope in 2014. 1000 or so we're my hand loads. The best I could get that rifle was 1.5 MOA with Berger 168s. It averaged more like 2 inches at 100 yards.

I used it as partial trade in a model 10 FPSR in .308. Yesterday on its fourth range trip she averaged 1.75 inches at 200 over 20 rounds with my older 165 GK hand loads.

Point is I found my old 11s top end rather quickly and spent a lot of time and money to try to wring out accuracy that wasn't there.

If I was going to try to improve a spotter savage I would start with replacing the stock and bedding the action. YMMV

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
you think right

on savages - the two number models (10, 11, 12) are short actions,,,three numbers are long (110, 111, 112)

just my "old man two cents" but you may want to do a lot of reading and studying on the basics of guns before jumping off to do gunsmithing

just saying

Agreed..... the words cheap and long range usually don’t work well together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk