300wsm

Andrewd

Six Pointer
Was thinking about building a Browning ab3 in 300wsm for use in thick woods. Was thinking about shoring the barrel to 20” and adding a muzzle brake. Any thoughts or suggestions. All ready have the gun.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
If you want to shorten the barrel to 20" why not just go .308? Won't you lose most of the velocity benefit that you would gain by going WSM?

Andrewd

Six Pointer
I already have the 300wsm. Actually have 2. It’s going from a 22” with out brake. I’d like to be around 20” with brake. How much will it fall off after shorting it.

pinehunter

Eight Pointer
I use slow burning powders like Superformance and 4350 in 300wsm. Point is if you don't burn all the powder in the barrel there is a real performance drop off. I would not go below 22" in a 300wsm. But to each their own. If you decide to do it please report back.

As a side note on not having all of the powder burned in the barrel it is extremely loud. Which can be bad for hunting as well. The early short barreled AR and Mosin M44s are known for being deafening to shoot.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
All else being equal, a 300WSM will always be faster than a 308 or 30-06 out of the same length barrel because it has more powder. BUT probably not by much if you move down to a 20” barrel. The thing is, in a WSM case you have more room for powder, lending itself to slower powders. But for a shorter barrel, faster powders will likely work better. But with faster powders you likely won’t be able to fill the case to capacity meaning you’ll still be losing velocity.