300 blackout sub sonic hunting round recommendation

hayco10

Eight Pointer
Have a new rifle (and suppressor) I plan to hunt deer with from bow stand with shots between 25 and 70 yards. Any recommendations?

Don't. Use supers, especially recommend the barnes tac-tx. The only round that can expand decently at subsonic speeds is the Lehigh defense maximum expansion 194 gr, but still taking a huge risk. Do you want to have a round that may sorta work with a whole lote of drop when you see a 10 PT step out at 100 yards?

Seriously though, just use the barnes and your suppressor. Pic for proof.

Attachments

• 0213192016.jpg
    0213192016.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 46

beavercleaver

Twelve Pointer
unless you are hunting illegally where yoy dont want to be heard why on earth would you try to use a low power round ..expecally if you have a supressor to reduce recoil and muzzle blast...the more power the better when the 220 lb buck of a lifetime steps out at 150 yards...maby its just me

Those are great reasons to use 300 blackout and a suppressor, but you still don't need to handicap yourself and risk losing/injuring deer by using subs. The 110 gr Barnes suppressed are decently quiet enough to not bother any neigbbors, even at the crack ass of dawn. To your neighbors it will just sound like a shot went off way off in the distance.

Inshore duck

Eight Pointer
Subs in 300 blackout are comparable to a pistol round as it was developed for the military for close quarters battle to take the place of sub machine guns(MP5) firing 9mm. 50meters and in and expect to have to fire multiple rounds on target. I have several 300s, I do not hunt with it and I only carry Barnes tac-tx 110-120 gr for 2 legged animals.

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
Close neighbors, campers, early morning, short range. No shots beyond 70 yards, thick woods on end and sides of shooting lane food plot

I am considering the same thing. I’m not sure why it wouldn’t work. Hornady lists their subsonic round as if it as appropriate for medium game. Federal loads a 150 grain as well that is not subsonic, but I think that would be a great round. Zero at 50 yards & you’d be in good shape at the ranges you’re talking about & have it in the dirt quickly from a stand if you miss. Take both to the range & let us know.

Last edited:

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
, but you still don't need to handicap yourself and risk losing/injuring deer by using subs.

. To your neighbors it will just sound like a shot went off way off in the distance.

To your first part.... Remove Subs, replace with Bow, or shotgun.....

Do you still feel the same?

To the second part the sound and crack of SS sound different by far from a Sub.
More so when you shoot with a can.

To your first part.... Remove Subs, replace with Bow, or shotgun.....

Do you still feel the same?

Trying to compare apples and oranges ain't ya? Shooting a deer with a subsonic 300 blk round can be compared to shooting a field point at a deer. How's that comparison? If the round don't expand reliably it acts just like a field point punching a little hole through the deer. Sure it will die if hit right, but expect a long and sparse blood trail. Just look at this gel test:

To the second part the sound and crack of SS sound different by far from a Sub.
More so when you shoot with a can.

Yeah, that's why we get subsonics and cans to plink with.

Last edited:

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
This is not a great test by T&B. Sierra Game Kings aren’t designed to expand. They are monolithic penetrators, not expanders.

Not sure why Remington even put that bullet design on their cartridge other than the name for marketing. I’d like to see the Hornady subsonic tested. It’s designe to expand.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Why would you shoot a match king for.hunting.

That is about the same as taking a field point to hunt deer and not a broadhead that cuts or expands.....

Some of us reload, we use the correct bullet or we make them to fit our need the load them to fit our need.

Dont compare apples to oranges thinking that the cheap Sub loads from remington are worth hunting with.

Why would you shoot a match king for.hunting.

That is about the same as taking a field point to hunt deer and not a broadhead that cuts or expands.....

Some of us reload, we use the correct bullet or we make them to fit our need the load them to fit our need.

Dont compare apples to oranges thinking that the cheap Sub loads from remington are worth hunting with.

You ain't the only one that reloads. If you read my first reply, you'd see the subsonic bullet I recommended if OP is deadset on using subs. $1.22 a bullet they aint cheap.

Even hornadys subsonic load underperforms greatly for the caliber.

Compared to:

So yeah, I'd say its alot like putting a field point on instead of a proper broadhead. 110 gr Barnes tac-tx behind 20 grns of H110 with the rcbs AR series taper crimp dies is my hog and deer round, the gel tests I posted clearly show it's superiority.

Like beavercleaver said, unless you are hunting illegally and don't want to be heard I can't see why you would use a low power subsonic. Putting a can on the gun already knocks off ~ 30 decibels, you ain't gonna disturb your neighbors none.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
you'd see the subsonic bullet I recommended if OP is deadset on using subs. $1.22 a bullet they aint cheap.
FYI
Yep, $1.22 is cheap depending on what you shoot.
I would be happy paying that all day long and not pay what I do for some of the stuff I shoot.

Some of the projectiles run in the range of 100$ then add 10$ for the powder charge.
It is all in what you want to do....
My round balls cost 45$ each.
Hell some of my 458, 45/70 and 416 cost 5$ or more for the projectile.