30-30 help

BamBam

Eight Pointer
Inherited a Mossberg model 472. While checking it function,,the new Winchester ammo (170 gr. power point) I bought will not feed ,, when I work lever. But it came with a old federal box of 170gr hi-shok,, that works fine. The federal ammo is probably from the late ‘70’s.
Should I be concerned about new ammo not cycling properly??

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Clean it focusing on the chamber, it may have a crud ring that keeps certain ammo from shouldering into the chamber.

BamBam

Eight Pointer
Bullet is seating fine and it ejects fine. Tip of bullet catches. Then when I close bolt,, the rear of bullet is to low to close chamber. I can shake gun a little and it will straighten up. Then it will close.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Bullet is seating fine and it ejects fine. Tip of bullet catches. Then when I close bolt,, the rear of bullet is to low to close chamber. I can shake gun a little and it will straighten up. Then it will close.
feeding ramp issues...you may need to have it adjusted or replaced by a gunsmith if you want to reliably use this rifle for a long time reliably.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
feeding ramp issues...you may need to have it adjusted or replaced by a gunsmith if you want to reliably use this rifle for a long time reliably.
I agree.
I’d scrub the 💩out of it then try those rounds again. If the issue is still there, take it to a gunsmith and have it looked at.

BamBam

Eight Pointer
I’ve cleaned it very good. Don’t see or feel anything that is stopping the tip of bullet. I’m going to call gunsmith tomorrow.
Appreciate y’all’s help. Hopefully it won’t be anything to bad. I’m looking forward to hunting with it this season.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I did a little looking, and called a feller that fools with stuff like this in his spare time. He says it’s very possibly the lifter( the technical term is actually elevator I believe). A few minutes of Google searching showed several threads on the very rifle you’re talking about, as well as it’s clones.

These are just the first two I ran across

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
If all else fails, I have two clean boxes of Federal 170 grain from 1968 in my ammo "collection". Great condition. I would part with them if that helped you any.

BamBam

Eight Pointer
If all else fails, I have two clean boxes of Federal 170 grain from 1968 in my ammo "collection". Great condition. I would part with them if that helped you any.
Thanks for the offer!! We’ll see if it comes to that.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I could be wrong, but different ammo is only a possible remedy, not a fix. I consider a fix as the rifle accomadating any ammo, within reason of course. Most 30-30's will eat pretty much whatever you feed them.
This is only my opinion.