3 Point Hitch and Post Auger Settings

NC-Ratler

Four Pointer
I'm looking to get the deepest depth possible on a post auger and the owners manual mentions nothing about which holes can provide me with the deepest digging settings. If I sit the auger flat on the ground with the U Yoke set in the middle hole of the boom (3 available), my attachment hole for the end of Boom (3) is at the top of the three hitch holes on the tractor. I'm thinking if I go to the bottom hitch hole, even though it raises it off of the ground, it would give me a wider range and dig deeper? Thanks for any advise.

1664230592764.png

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Top link hole has very little difference usually bottom one. Your auger has a setting on the main boom that will help and the lift arms on your tractor should be in the upper settings IF it will pick it up high enough.

That drawing is terrible as it shows no draft link arms on tractor and no boom adjustment on auger.

I take it back, it does show the boom adjustment as the red holes.

mekanizm

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Used one a lot but never tried to maximize it's range.

If you are looking to get the maximum depth then I would think using the top most hole on the tractor would be it. This is assuming the lift arms are in their lowest position and the top hole would then have the auger head as low as possible. From there it depends on the exact geometry of the whole system but I would think that moving the yoke to the boom hole closest to the auger head would further drop the auger head to it's lowest point. After that it is seeing if lifting it up has the auger clearing the hole. Going for maximum height is probably exactly the opposite set of holes so it is a tradeoff.

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
Used one a lot but never tried to maximize it's range.

If you are looking to get the maximum depth then I would think using the top most hole on the tractor would be it. This is assuming the lift arms are in their lowest position and the top hole would then have the auger head as low as possible. From there it depends on the exact geometry of the whole system but I would think that moving the yoke to the boom hole closest to the auger head would further drop the auger head to it's lowest point. After that it is seeing if lifting it up has the auger clearing the hole. Going for maximum height is probably exactly the opposite set of holes so it is a tradeoff.
It is not going deeper than the length of the auger . I don't think the hole will make a difference.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
The lift arms dictate depth. You will have to adjust pin holes on the arm. If your arms are telescoping then you make an adjustment there as well (including leveling).

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
As Bw said, lift arms control the depth, as they will only go so far down. Add in length of auger. If the top link played a part at all it would only be inches, but I don't see it making any depth difference.

mekanizm

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Once the lift arms are bottomed out, the top link holes can give or take away several inches of depth provided the gearbox hasn't already bottomed out I am thinking.

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
When the driveshaft hits the dirt, that's as far as you're going. You can use a longer auger, or extension, but with a smaller tractor; you may not be able to lift high enough, to clear the ground.

Deep River

Ten Pointer
Contributor
It seems to me that the higher the hitch hole used, and the farther out (to the rear) the yoke attaching hole used, the farther down the business end moves. You will still be limited by the gearbox & PTO shaft, though.

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
What ever the OP or anyone else is doing with one stay clear of the pto shift and the auger itself while running , ether one can and will kill you.

NC-Ratler

Four Pointer
Thanks for the posts. I'm able to adjust the arms a little lower but an extension might be eventually needed. I read about available extensions in the online owners manual but it doesn't mention the use of the yoke holes or where to attach to the tractor's holes, for depth purposes at least. If it wasn't such a bear to adjust and align the mounting holes to get pins in, I would try putting the rear tires on some blocks and hang the auger over a ledge just to see what adjustments I could get for depth. Thanksa gain for the input.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thanks for the posts. I'm able to adjust the arms a little lower but an extension might be eventually needed. I read about available extensions in the online owners manual but it doesn't mention the use of the yoke holes or where to attach to the tractor's holes, for depth purposes at least. If it wasn't such a bear to adjust and align the mounting holes to get pins in, I would try putting the rear tires on some blocks and hang the auger over a ledge just to see what adjustments I could get for depth. Thanksa gain for the input.
Why not just dig a test hole and see?

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Just wondering, how deep do you need the holes to be, and what is the length of your auger bit? Mine is 5+ feet long and very seldom would I need to bore deeper than that. Most times I'm good with 3 to 4 feet to get what I need, and then some.

NC-Ratler

Four Pointer
NCcatfisher - unlevel ground, dirt in hole, rocks, roots or other it would be somewhat hard to get a true reading vs measuring off of a stick.

Bigten - drills 10" wide holes and I would think the whole length of "bit" auger is about 48" so pretty short. On average I'm getting a 12-16" deep hole, good for shrubs and planting but l think the extension is going to be a must and the reason why the company make extensions.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
Extension won’t help if you’re only getting 12-16” deep.

Likely problems:

• ground is too hard, wait until wet.
• you are trying to cut through sandstone.
• your tractor does not have enough down pressure/weight on arms.

Dan in NC

Eight Pointer
Contributor
What size/kind of tractor and model post hole digger are you using? Picture resembles a woods.

nchunter

Twelve Pointer

Likely problems:

I’ve got hard rocky dirt. Not unusual to have to move back and forth a little while digging to get it to break through a root or move a rock. When it does catch, it goes. Better be ready to raise it.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

Likely problems:

Or bits worn out
Loose nut behind the wheel

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

Likely problems:

I agree. Best unit I've seen for a tractor to bore in harder ground is one with the hydraulic down pressure cylinder on the post hole digger, but they are pricy. They work great though.

NC-Ratler

Four Pointer
nccatfish and bwfarms - thanks for the helpful input, always has to be a few wise-asses among good people.

Here's a picture of the shaft - it is a short 27" to the bottom of the gear box. I was able to get a little deeper making a few minor adjustments, but Landpride makes extensions and in order to get 2' down consistently, I see no other way. Occasionally I get some good grab and the bit pulls deeper into the soil 18-24". Maybe after this rain with softer damp soil I'll get some better results. Not really hitting any rocks so don't think that is an issue. Useful input, thank you.

1664551910967.png

Thanks again for everyone's help.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Don't think I've ever seen one that short. Even my hand operated power auger is about 42"...

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
nccatfish and bwfarms - thanks for the helpful input, always has to be a few wise-asses among good people.

Here's a picture of the shaft - it is a short 27" to the bottom of the gear box. I was able to get a little deeper making a few minor adjustments, but Landpride makes extensions and in order to get 2' down consistently, I see no other way. Occasionally I get some good grab and the bit pulls deeper into the soil 18-24". Maybe after this rain with softer damp soil I'll get some better results. Not really hitting any rocks so don't think that is an issue. Useful input, thank you.

View attachment 100402

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Have you priced a replacement bit. Tractor Supply and Agri Supply keep them in stock.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Looks like the OP got an auger that was designed and primarily marketed to the landscape industry to be used for planting shrubbery. Ten inches in diameter and only two feet long sure was not designed for planting posts. I have dug a few post holes to build fence and those numbers do not add up for that purpose.