3 Photos - Good photo-shoot with an Adult Red Shouldered Hawk today

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Nice shots! I sat outside this morning wishing I had a decent video camera while a juvenile red shouldered tried unsuccessfully to catch a squirrel. There were three squirrels out in my yard and his first stoop was unsuccessful so from then on he'd just fly up in a tree and make feeble attempt after feeble attempt. Funniest thing was how unconcerned the squirrels seemed to be, almost as if they were toying with it. He even got on the ground and stalked one squirrel out in the open until he was about 5 feet away before making a stab at it. He was smart enough or experienced enough to not want to attack from the front, always trying to maneuver to the squirrels back side, 'cause given a half a chance, a squirrel will whip a young hawk's butt when nose to nose.

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Nice shots! I sat outside this morning wishing I had a decent video camera while a juvenile red shouldered tried unsuccessfully to catch a squirrel. There were three squirrels out in my yard and his first stoop was unsuccessful so from then on he'd just fly up in a tree and make feeble attempt after feeble attempt. Funniest thing was how unconcerned the squirrels seemed to be, almost as if they were toying with it. He even got on the ground and stalked one squirrel out in the open until he was about 5 feet away before making a stab at it. He was smart enough or experienced enough to not want to attack from the front, always trying to maneuver to the squirrels back side, 'cause given a half a chance, a squirrel will whip a young hawk's butt when nose to nose.
That's a good story...would have liked to watch it.
This squirrel wasn't so lucky:

RS.jpg