3 1/2" Shells sticking in chamber?

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Just wanted to share something that happened this past weekend, thought it was odd.
Was shooting my Benelli Nova.
Shooting Federal tungsten.
Had fired shells stick in the chamber, the part that was sticking was at the front of the chamber. Like they were glued in. Back part maybe .25" out and would.move but front was stuck.
This only happened if you fired and delayed reloading working the action.
You could fire and reload but give it 30 seconds and it was stuck.

Not sure really what was going on but thinking could be something used to seal the loads. Have also shot some Winchester steel also and others.
It was like glue in the chamber. The plastic was melting or what was in the chamber making the load stick.
Best way to describe it is like in a AK or AR15 shooting lacquer covered steel cases where you get lacquer build up.

I got the gun used only fired it 10 to 12 times. It was a camo and was shooting the same gun in black in the past with same ammo.

My guess was maybe someone was shooting 2 3/4" shells, maybe some type of seal on them or just plastic building up.

Only used the bore snake to clean after using so I got home and looked then cleaned the chamber real good with a chamber brush.
Bore looked new, chamber had a crud ring from my thinking carbon and plastic build up for sealer. Got it cleaned and will give it a try.

Just the funny thing was it only did it when you did not eject the shell after it was fired. I thought it was an action thing but it moved free.
I say this so if anyone else runs up on something like this may not be the gun for say or the ammo, just the nut pulling the trigger that can't see good enough to catch the build up in the chamber.

Plan to shoot it later this week and see if the chamber cleaning did the job.
It was hard to see but you could feel it and see it on the shells.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
No not now. Thought about that. It was gummy and sticky, already cleaned it out.
If it happens again I will scope it and see. Looks clean and shiny now.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Not really sure. Could be a wax. Have seen shells that have something like a hot glue.
In the old days we reloaded for duck and goose then use trappers wax.
I think the newer stuff you are correct, the ones that are sealed is more like hot glue.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Could it be the shotgun equivalent of 38 specials in a 357 chamber??
Yes that was my first thought.
It could have been or could be the first owner shot 2.75" and that junk was there in the chamber all the time and the snake did not remove it.
It is in that area of the 2.75 to 3 and when you shoot a 3.5 it folds out on top of it then sticks.

I could see that crud ring looked like the same as it does for a 38 357 type crud ring.
We will see if the chamber brush got it. I think it should be fine now based on the difference in looks.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I Always thought shooting federal shells was like shooting tar out of your gun. Guess they’ve started adding a smidge of glue to the tar recipe😂😂😂

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I Always thought shooting federal shells was like shooting tar out of your gun. Guess they’ve started adding a smidge of glue to the tar recipe😂😂😂
Not seeing anything on the federals I have or the winchesters.
Also only fired it a few times so that has be thinking it was the first owner shooting 2.75" shells or something.
Not going to be able to hit the range this week but will next. I think it is all cleaned out.