280 Ackley

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I have a 280 Ackley Kimber on the way, with the price of ammo I’m just going to be buying the reloading supplies off the bat. I don’t have any personal experience with this round and I’m debating on bullets, hoping someone here can make a reccomendation. Looking at the Barnes 150gr TTSX, Barnes 145 LRX (if I can find it), or the Hornady 150gr ELDX.

I’ve been shooting the TTSX in my 308 for years and absolutely love the penetration they provide. But the ELDX is half the price, and while I’ve never shot a deer with them, they’ve shot very nicely out of every gun I’ve tried them in. This gun will mainly see use on deer in NC and WV but it will likely be the one I take if I draw my antelope tag this year and for future western endeavors.

Wirehead

Eight Pointer
162 eld-x is good for deer, I think. It’s on the frangible side and will result in more bloodshot meat than ttsx/tsx but definitely gets the job done. That bullet took 2 mulies last year out of 7 mags at distances of 125 to 650 yds. One bullet recovered had perfect mushroom.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
162 eld-x is good for deer, I think. It’s on the frangible side and will result in more bloodshot meat than ttsx/tsx but definitely gets the job done. That bullet took 2 mulies last year out of 7 mags at distances of 125 to 650 yds. One bullet recovered had perfect mushroom.
I can live with bloodshot meat as long as it gets a clean kill. I have really come to like how little meat I lose with those TTSX’s though compared to tradition cup & core bullets

Wirehead

Eight Pointer
Definitely gets the job done with mule deer sized critters and smaller…. Not a great comparison but the other caliber used on the hunt was a 300 WM running 200 ELD-x - 3 more mulies down from 750 yards to 300 yards. Great performance there, too.

If you put one on a large bone at short range... It’s might get real ugly. That’s the scenario that troubles me with ELD-X…

I do not think you could do better than 150 / 160 accubonds just cannot find them. I saw some sell on Rokslide last week and that was only the 2nd or 3rd time I’ve seen them for sale in a year. That said, I’m also a big fan of the TTSX.

All I can tell you is good luck making a choice… you wont make a bad one just one that will keep you up all night and result in a bullet stockpile - a friend told me that. 😂

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
If you put one on a large bone at short range... It’s might get real ugly. That’s the scenario that troubles me with ELD-X…

I do not think you could do better than 150 / 160 accubonds just cannot find them. I saw some sell on Rokslide last week and that was only the 2nd or 3rd time I’ve seen them for sale in a year. That said, I’m also a big fan of the TTSX.

Sounds like we’re about in the same boat then, I like tougher bullets knowing that I can take a shot from *almost* any angle.

And I do love Accubonds but can’t seem to find them anywhere. Were they available a 160AB seems like the ideal bullet for a 280AI

Deep River

Ten Pointer
Contributor
My 280AI does well with 59.5 gr H4831SC and Barnes 150 TTSXs seated DEEP. I don't recall the COAL, but they are seated beyond the top groove in the bullet a bit.
I have also found a pretty good load with 59.0 gr H1000 and Nosler 175 ABLRs at 3.320" COAL.

Wirehead

Eight Pointer
140 or 160 grain accubond or a 139 or 162 grain interlock.
My preferred load for 7 mag was 150 ABs with IMR 4350… but ran through ABs during load development and unable to find any.

140 TSXs with H100v were very accurate but yet to get 140 TTSX to shoot sub 1”. I have sense slowed down on load development. I think with the right powder, the TTSX will do quite well.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Ttsx won’t let you down.
I was skeptical when I began shooting them in 2019. But after a handful of frontal shots where the bullet penetrated the entire deer and exited through the rear hips, and having most of the deer I’ve shot with them drop in their tracks, it would be hard for me to claim anything else as my favorite projectile.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Don’t overlook the Berger lines. The 175 elite hunter shoots extremely well in a friends 280 improved.
I looked at the Bergers hard and read nothing but good reviews. But with similar performance to the ELDX (based on what I’ve heard & read from others) and almost twice the price it was hard for me to choose those over my other options.

Jimbob78

Twelve Pointer
I looked at the Bergers hard and read nothing but good reviews. But with similar performance to the ELDX (based on what I’ve heard & read from others) and almost twice the price it was hard for me to choose those over my other options.
You have me curious as to how the hornady bullets will perform. These are the only hornady I have ever bought, I may have to test them out this year.

Attachments

• 54E61A54-6DD0-4DA6-ABFA-45989032E6A5.jpeg
    54E61A54-6DD0-4DA6-ABFA-45989032E6A5.jpeg
    96 KB · Views: 8

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
You have me curious as to how the hornady bullets will perform. These are the only hornady I have ever bought, I may have to test them out this year.
Those a tips can be pretty splashy. Much more so than either the eldx or m. They will kill fine but likely make a very very big mess. The x and m are both proven at killing effectively.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
That’s the downside with a copper bullet, it’s longer and needs a faster twist barrel.
But with their better weight retention it seems to even out as far as terminal performance on game at least.

I used to shoot 165’s primarily out of my 308 with cup & core type bullets and wasn’t sure how I’d like 150gr TTSX’s in that gun. I recovered a lot of 165 Interlocks inside the deer, I’ve never had a 150TTSX not exit

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I loaded up some 150 gr Nosler Accubonds for my buddy for his .280 AI last year. He loves them. They shoot lights out in his gun, sub 3/4”5 shot groups all day long.

Ive stocked up on the 7mm 150 gr Accubonds since I’m now shooting them in 4 different cartridges and 5 different rifles and will add another cartridge and 2 more rifles soon.

As I run out of bullets for each caliber I’m loading for, I’m replacing them with Accubonds. I’ve completely swapped over all my .25 cal stuff and almost completely swapped over my .30 cal stuff and by this time next year I’ll have completely swapped over all my 7mm stuff.

.270 is next on my list.

Wirehead

Eight Pointer
I loaded up some 150 gr Nosler Accubonds for my buddy for his .280 AI last year. He loves them. They shoot lights out in his gun, sub 3/4”5 shot groups all day long.

Ive stocked up on the 7mm 150 gr Accubonds since I’m now shooting them in 4 different cartridges and 5 different rifles and will add another cartridge and 2 more rifles soon.

As I run out of bullets for each caliber I’m loading for, I’m replacing them with Accubonds. I’ve completely swapped over all my .25 cal stuff and almost completely swapped over my .30 cal stuff and by this time next year I’ll have completely swapped over all my 7mm stuff.

.270 is next on my list.
Now I know why I cannot find any…